Make a donation

Author Topic: ***** all your Giac question's and answer's in here please. *****  (Read 8500 times)

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
I  am definately gong to get my dsg ed30 remapped in the next few weeks but cannot decide which map to go for. I have narrowed it down to Bluefin and GIAC (as i want a switchable) and although Bluefin is cheaper i keep coming back to GIAC because it can be switched in real time and just seems a bit more special. Am i mad or do people agree  :rolleye:

Any thoughts appreciated... Chris
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline SteveS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
Re: GIAC ed30
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:18:19 pm »
switchable? revo is too?

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 11:22:14 pm »
Yeah i thought aout revo but dont know too much about them, i also read that with giac and bluefin you dont effect the flash count, which i assume is the bit that would reveal to the dealer that it had been mapped  :confused:

Have you had experience of revo? I think i need to go in a few that have been mapped!!
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:06:28 am »
^^^^
Why do you want to try to hide a remap from your dealer?

If there was an important enough issue, VW/Bosch would be able to tell if you had been remapped.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:12:46 am »
I dont really know much about warranty and that sort of thing so didnt want to take the car in with an issue and have them void it based on a remap? Would it void my warranty?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:22:03 am »
^^^^
A remap would only void the particular part or parts under warranty that it was proved to be a direct cause of failure. It only gets tricky when you have to pay to collect your car after repair and try and get reimbursed afterwards.

I know of absolutely no cases whatsoever of any warranty issues caused by a remap of the Mk5 GTI/Ed30.

My VW dealer actually has a Revo agent on its staff (introduced by myself). Some VW dealers are mod-friendly.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 06:36:52 am »
Yeah i thought aout revo but dont know too much about them, i also read that with giac and bluefin you dont effect the flash count, which i assume is the bit that would reveal to the dealer that it had been mapped  :confused:

Have you had experience of revo? I think i need to go in a few that have been mapped!!

A dealer will easily be able to see if your car is remapped if he takes the time to look at a few things on VAGCOM. If I remember correctly, bluefin does alter the flash count???? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Being able to switch a map back to standard is a good thing to have. My dealer has told me that they would not look to see if the car was mapped, unless the had suspicion that it had been through driving. So if you switch it back to standard when it goes in for a service and they take it for a drive they will suspect nothing. (unless your car has a lot of other mods too)...

Revo is a very good product, and well proven with the 2.0TFSI engine. A lot of people on here have Revo, and there have been NO major problems at all from any member. Revo does not affect the flash count.

IMO, Revo is the only choice for a remapped GTI. Not to say that the GIAC is a bad map, indeed it was up there in my top considerations, however Revo had better customer service and support - so I went with them, plus the fact that I found a decent and friendly tuner that did Revo products. 

I think that the relationship with your tuner is a big thing, and you need to also take that into consideration. There may be instances when an engine light comes on / simple issue that needs correcting, and having the full support of a decent tuner is paramount.

Also, the best piece of advice that I can give is go onto some tuners websites that have rolling roads, i.e. JKM Performance, Awesome GTI etc etc, and see the results of ED30's that have been on the rolling road. Normally, the modifications that that particular car has will be listed next to the graph. Take a look at the different maps with the different modifications and see what suits you best - be that torque figures, power figures, plot curves. Although every car reacts to a map differently, some similarities occur with maps, and you will be able to see this through the curves. E.G. (this is fictional)...if most bluefin maps had a large spike in torque early on in the rev range, but the GIAC map was more progressive with the torque. Then, you could see this pattern and decide which one best suited your driving style.

Let us know how you get on,
Chris.  :smiley: :smiley:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 11:33:26 am »
If you use Superchips Bluefin and reflash back to the original standard before taking the car to a dealer they would not be able to tell that the car has been running with increased performance as the original map has been installed and the flash counter reset to whatever it was before the Bluefin device was used.

GIAC and Revo load their uprated maps and a generic standard map onto the ECU wiping the original mapping.  When you turn their maps back to standard you revert to their standard map which, whilst it is effectively standard, is sitting next to an encrypted version of their performance map.   

If the ECU was downloaded and interrogated the fact that the performance side of things is encrypted would show the ECU was remapped and not original.  This, I would suggest, is beyond dealers but would not be beyond the manufacturer should they choose to investigate a warranty claim further.  I haven't ever heard of this being done but it no doubt could be.

JKM told me the Superchips remap - if returned to standard - if the only remap that is truly invisible ... as you have returned the car to exactly what it was before you bought the remap.

Hope this makes sense!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 11:43:50 am »
^^^^
It all makes good sense :happy2:

If the ECU was downloaded and interrogated the fact that the performance side of things is encrypted would show the ECU was remapped and not original.  This, I would suggest, is beyond dealers but would not be beyond the manufacturer should they choose to investigate a warranty claim further.  I haven't ever heard of this being done but it no doubt could be.

....That's what I was trying to say.

The best policy is one of honesty imo. It's your car and not illegal to remap it and it's fair and justifiable that VW can't support under warranty your third-party modifications to what they have designed and developed.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 11:46:23 am »
Mods , is it possible to have a Remap thread??

Brands, peoples thoughts ETC, rather it being repeated every few threads.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 01:14:02 pm »
that is exactly what keeps happening Phil, we could stick a great big flashing sign at the top of every page saying re-map thread here and 90% of people will just ignore and post up there specific question.
Besides you havn't got one so just dont read them.  :signLOL:
there is a option to merge threads i will have a play with this tonight when i get home.  :drinking:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
***** all your Giac question's and answer's in here please. *****
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 02:53:31 pm »
OK this thread is now a sticky for all GIAC questions and answer's If you have a question about this type of map try and remember to post it in here.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 03:30:15 pm by Top Cat »

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
Re: ***** all your Giac question's and answer's in here please. *****
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 07:33:46 pm »
I have the Giac map had it for just about a year now, no problems and no issues. Theres only maybe two here who have the Giac map the other being Toast and we both use the same tuner. :happy2:
I chose it for switchability it can be set to pump - 300bhp, race - 320bhp, valet - 150bhp and 1 other which i can remember.It can also be done whilst on the move, press the button ping its done.

Break for the norm.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 08:07:21 pm »

I don't have a GIAC but I like the fact that you can switch it while on the move.

Can you do it while on the throttle? Does it do so smoothly? It may be helpful for people to know some detail here.

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 08:21:11 pm »
Thats a good point Red.
I would need to confirm the whilst on the throttle.
Dont quote me on this but i did hear of a Seat owner who had either extended his OBD port or put another in, into his arm rest.