Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2528136 times)

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11175 on: June 01, 2018, 07:58:54 pm »
@Joshy yeah that's the stuff!

I did a few fairly thick coats.  The beauty of not using a plastic primer is when it chips off, it will be black underneath  :grin:

I think it looks alright personally  :smiley:  The reason I had to repaint my pinstripe was because it had really bad laquer peel, and stone chips.  That also came out pretty good I thought!

Looks good but think you should do the fog light covers too as they don’t match...or maybe it’s the angle of the pics...
Either way good work

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11176 on: June 01, 2018, 07:59:00 pm »
@Joshy yeah that's the stuff!

I did a few fairly thick coats.  The beauty of not using a plastic primer is when it chips off, it will be black underneath  :grin:

I think it looks alright personally  :smiley:  The reason I had to repaint my pinstripe was because it had really bad laquer peel, and stone chips.  That also came out pretty good I thought!

Looks good but think you should do the fog light covers too as they don’t match...or maybe it’s the angle of the pics...
Either way good work

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11177 on: June 01, 2018, 08:05:12 pm »
Good work chap.  Let us know what you think of the TT consoles.  I had a set a while back but opted for the Superpro ones instead to get a bit more caster.
Ta matey
So far so good with the TT consoles! PF ALK had to be finally removed as my back wasn’t having it anymore. Really hoping the THS mount calms the f*ck down otherwise I’ll be replacing with brand new OEM Gti mount. NVH makes it seem as if I’ve a bitch of a subwoofer in the motor!

Ps The squelchy noise I used to have when going over humps has gone from the top mounts now...

Good stuff!  I can't say I noticed anything NVH wise with my PF ALK.  Likewise with the Vibratechnics dogbone + OEM side mounts.  Feels great  :smiley:

That's good to hear.  It's gone from my TT top mounts as well.  Took about a month to shut the hell up!
Wasn’t much the NVH from the Black Powerflex ALK but more the stiff ride. But I do miss the sharper steering I had...
It’s the THS lower engine mount that’s causing the crazy NVH, I’ll give it a week or 2 otherwise they’re coming off!

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
« Reply #11178 on: June 01, 2018, 08:26:36 pm »
Good work chap.  Let us know what you think of the TT consoles.  I had a set a while back but opted for the Superpro ones instead to get a bit more caster.
Ta matey
So far so good with the TT consoles! PF ALK had to be finally removed as my back wasn’t having it anymore. Really hoping the THS mount calms the f*ck down otherwise I’ll be replacing with brand new OEM Gti mount. NVH makes it seem as if I’ve a bitch of a subwoofer in the motor!

Ps The squelchy noise I used to have when going over humps has gone from the top mounts now...

I get that squidgy noise over speed humps ect I might try changing the strut tops it does my
HEad in !

Offline Mitch H

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 25
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95928.60.html
« Reply #11179 on: June 01, 2018, 08:28:38 pm »
Ta matey

Good stuff!  I can't say I noticed anything NVH wise with my PF ALK.  Likewise with the Vibratechnics dogbone + OEM side mounts.  Feels great  :smiley:

That's good to hear.  It's gone from my TT top mounts as well.  Took about a month to shut the hell up!
i get that squidgy noise over speed bumps ect too! Might try changing the strut tops as it does my head in !

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11180 on: June 02, 2018, 12:06:00 am »
Ta matey

i get that squidgy noise over speed bumps ect too! Might try changing the strut tops as it does my head in !
I only started getting it when I installed stiffer poly bushings for the wishbones...that’s with new OEM top mounts....

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11181 on: June 02, 2018, 12:34:51 am »
Took off the turbo back and put OEM exhaust back on mated with decat.
Only this time I adjusted it so tips sit flush with the valance, never really liked the way it poked out from factory.
Enjoying the peace and quiet again

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #11182 on: June 02, 2018, 01:18:11 pm »
Watched it being driven off as I sold it !!

Offline Newbieintown

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11183 on: June 02, 2018, 06:37:12 pm »
Hey Pudding awesome job did you just spray the honey comb or did you spray the solided part my the number plate holder? Great job looks awesome. 👍
Perfect day for a spot of painting in the garden. No one likes faded grey plastics. 

I did initially try the £30 ebay chinese grille which is shinyish plastic but I wasn't happy with the quality, so decided to paint the originals instead.

Paints used - Plasti-kote 'Satin Super' for the grilles from B&Q (multi-surface compatible so doesn't need plastic primer), Halfords Tornado red for the pin stripe with a top coat of U-Pol Clear 1 laquer.

Look so much better!

MK5 Golf GTI
200bhp
Tornado Red

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #11184 on: June 02, 2018, 11:49:09 pm »
Did my cam follower. 110k and no history of it being done. Black coating was stripped back to bare metal with a few light scoring marks to the surface- right time to change it.

Easy enough job. Only ballache was I managed to drop the 17mm spanner in the engine bay and it’s now completely disappeared. I cannot see it anywhere, and have jacked the car up and had a good feel around too. Went for a drive and did some hard braking to try and shake it loose. No idea where it’s gone, but it’s in there somewhere. Nightmare!

Offline Gmac

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #11185 on: June 03, 2018, 08:14:16 am »
New wheels on, chuffed

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11186 on: June 05, 2018, 12:53:49 am »
Had to make a new heat shield to replace the old P-Flo shield today. Not really a helpful diy vid as I do not show the process, but to show you can just make a nice replacement heat shield if you like. Took me all of 45 minutes...perhaps one hour to include the measuring and layout. The process is described in the vid description.

&feature=youtu.be
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11187 on: June 05, 2018, 01:22:11 am »
Did my cam follower. 110k and no history of it being done. Black coating was stripped back to bare metal with a few light scoring marks to the surface- right time to change it.

Easy enough job. Only ballache was I managed to drop the 17mm spanner in the engine bay and it’s now completely disappeared. I cannot see it anywhere, and have jacked the car up and had a good feel around too. Went for a drive and did some hard braking to try and shake it loose. No idea where it’s gone, but it’s in there somewhere. Nightmare!
Did you remove the splash plate/guard when you looked underneath? Most times I drop something it lands on top of the gearbox just under the tensioner cover that the hpfp is mounted to. If it makes it past that...it might be on top of the front subframe. Good timing...the black DLC is usually worn through by the time any reach 120k miles.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

4ndy

« Reply #11188 on: June 05, 2018, 06:39:37 am »
New wheels on, chuffed

ALL Mk5s should have these on from new

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
Fitted new rear light clusters
« Reply #11189 on: June 05, 2018, 06:44:56 am »
These have been sitting around a while so thought I'd fit them after having to abandon plans to fit a new H&R Anti Roll Bar because a captive not broke loose. I'll revisit that another day.

Before

After
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)