Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527126 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11310 on: September 04, 2018, 11:45:14 am »
It's that time again.   VW now want £500 for this job, so I'm doing it myself this time!!

Good luck. did mine recently. It's not too bad. The worse bits I found were getting the engine mount back in, and the covers back on. To get the mount back in I found I had to put the jack right on the back to of the sump and get the engine up as high and as forward as you can.

Cheers for the tips mate.  You mean the engine mount bracket?   I've read the official workshop procedure is to detach the inboard CVs to get enough height, but I've not heard of anyone doing that in DIY land!

Having done R32 chains a couple of times, I'm thinking this will be easy compared to that  :grin:

4 years ago I paid £349 at VW (inc water pump) when they had an Indy busting promotion on.   Given the parts with discount come to around £200 (inc stretch bolts), they literally were making a loss at that price.  I really can't justify £500 this time.  Dealers still barely break even on that, but it's still a stupid price to replace a rubber belt  :stupid:

Yeh its the big bit of Ali the bolts into the block. It's tight and you have to play about with it but it will go, its tight against the AC pipes. I don't know as I didn't try it, but it might be possible to do buy unbolting it and leaving it roughly in situ. Just depends if you able to work around it to get at all the other bits. Other than that yup its pretty easy, I recon I could do it start to finish in less than 3 hours now.

Disconnecting and getting the expansion tank out the way helps as well.

Thanks mate.  Will report back.

£500 is a wedge, and 3 years soon comes around again. I know what the book says (3 or 4 years isn't it?), but curious as to to how frequently folk are having this job done. My car history shows that mine (2005) has had one cam belt and pump done at 21,000 miles at 8 years old, done in 2013 by VW, so it's well overdue now in terms of year frequency, but the car has only just clicked onto 40,000. Of course rubber does perish, and the consequences are drastic if it snaps, but I drive like Miss Daisy most of the time, and only 3000 miles a year in the car now.  Thoughts??

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #11311 on: September 04, 2018, 12:18:21 pm »
For the exact same engine, VW UK specify replacing every 4 years but Audi say every 5.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11312 on: September 04, 2018, 07:05:06 pm »
Up to 2009 it's 4 years, 2009 on it's 5 years.  As the car in question is a MK5 GTI which ceased production in 2008, we have to stick to the 4 year rule.

The official line is every 60K miles, or 4 years, which ever comes first.

I did my belt/water pump today and have updated the Stickied DIY - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,114338.0.html

It's really not that bad and can be done for £200 using genuine parts.  A hefty saving over VW doing it.  Just depends if you want a stamp or not.  Since my service book has run out of space, I no longer care about stamps.  Judging by what I found on mine from the last dealer belt change, I've done a better job of it anyway  :doh:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline jonk710

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11313 on: September 06, 2018, 06:59:14 am »
Changed over the blue tint to privacy glass
Today will be a full detail and machine polish.
R32
Mk2 16v - Jonk
A6 dog chariot
Rallye under construction

Offline CJMC

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11314 on: September 07, 2018, 10:19:21 am »
Those looks incredible, are they R32 lights?... Putting that on the list
Skyline mod with quad indicators

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11315 on: September 07, 2018, 04:08:20 pm »
For the first time in 10 years, the engine refused to turn over. Over the last two weeks, the engine was taking longer to start and I sometimes would get the ABS, TC and steering warning lights on which would extinguish when driving. I managed to start the engine after turning everything off and giving a few minutes.

Varta E44 ordered.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Dazmul

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #11316 on: September 13, 2018, 08:42:40 pm »
Bought a 57 plate 5 door gti last week with full history and cambelt done last year, it was serviced when i bought it but i have today changed the fuel pump cam follower and fitted a new revision g diverter valve, changed the oil and fitted a new rear door mechanism to fix a sticky door.
Loving the car so far new stereo is the next job.

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11317 on: September 15, 2018, 04:08:20 pm »
Fitted my Forge short shifter, such a great mod. Having my s3 intercooler, dogbone insert, revo intake and new cam follower installed on Wednesday. That's stage 2+ all completed then. Next on the list is the hybrid bbt
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 04:19:50 pm by Craig Stanley »

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #11318 on: September 16, 2018, 09:56:21 pm »
Those looks incredible, are they R32 lights?... Putting that on the list
Skyline mod with quad indicators

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
OEM Valeo lights

Offline heyadamhey

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11319 on: September 20, 2018, 05:05:15 pm »
Fuel filter and DSG oil service

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #11320 on: September 24, 2018, 03:27:26 pm »
I treated it to a fresh set of plastic valve caps as I have gotten so fed up of the fancy alloy ones corroding onto the valve threads!

4ndy

« Reply #11321 on: September 24, 2018, 05:14:15 pm »
I treated it to a fresh set of plastic valve caps as I have gotten so fed up of the fancy alloy ones corroding onto the valve threads!
Vaseline will keep the corrosion at bay

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11322 on: September 24, 2018, 08:29:24 pm »
I Fitted my new Eibach Spacers. 10+12mm

It looks much better
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11323 on: October 01, 2018, 10:58:15 am »
Popped into the local JCT600 body clinic for a rust warrenty investigation for front offside wheel arch rust bubbles.  The guy said they are rejecting everything these days, so I'm not holding out much hope.  He also said that the wing has been painted in the past to the chance of VW covering the repair is pretty much zero.  How much are we looking at to replace the wing then?

To add to this, someone with a towbar (I'm assuming) as reverse into my bumper and driven off.  Got a chunck of paint missing and a cracked bumper. FFS!  So frustrating trying to keep a car nice!

Offline CJMC

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11324 on: October 07, 2018, 07:38:09 pm »
Bought some Xenon's/depo ... spent 2 hours on the following - took front of the car off, eventually got to the bottom screws, and took the adaptors out (that was a git to do)... didnt realise that i needed a 12 pin (i have 10), it drained my battery and now the car will not start - had better days on the car!   :grin: