Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2549937 times)

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11535 on: July 30, 2019, 12:26:06 pm »
Finally got some decent centre caps for my pescara like wheels. They are Audi genuine OEM wheels (made by bbs) and the ONLY centre caps you can buy for them are Audi ones. I don’t want Audi logos on my golf lol I believe these wheels are identical to the pescaras apart from the offset etc. But don’t be confused they are not pescaras like I originally thought. You can see the gay old caps wasn’t even the right size too if you look closely (from previous owner).

Before:

After:

Nothing you guys haven’t seen before, but a nice improvement for me.
Little secret behind the glory though:
So to get round the whole “cannot find centre caps to fit!!” -  Literally I looked everywhere you can’t! (only  Audi ones anyway).
I had to buy universal plain plastic centre caps (70mm outer and 57mm inner)  and then 70mm bbs stickers... everything fit perfect and im happy with the result :-)
I know the stickers won’t last years but for £8 ill just get some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brammer

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #11536 on: July 30, 2019, 07:27:47 pm »
Replaced the fuel filter on my 2007 GTI which I'm guessing was the original from new. Couldn't undo the clamping bracket screw as the head was all corroded and needed drilling out. Now replaced with a stainless steel item.
Could be imagining it but on a test drive the car feels a bit more responsive. Tempted to cut open the old filter and see how dirty it is.       

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11537 on: August 02, 2019, 02:41:23 am »
Replaced the fuel filter on my 2007 GTI which I'm guessing was the original from new. Couldn't undo the clamping bracket screw as the head was all corroded and needed drilling out. Now replaced with a stainless steel item.
Could be imagining it but on a test drive the car feels a bit more responsive. Tempted to cut open the old filter and see how dirty it is.       
You should do so and post some pics. It likely is more responsive since the ECM is receiving good pressure reports now.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11538 on: August 02, 2019, 02:45:45 am »
I did some routine maintenance today...removed and washed the wheels, replaced all of the brake fluid,  and rotated tires. I recommend not ever using a Mityvac MV8000...I have one for testing vac tubing, but decided to use today as a one-man brake bleeder and the job sucked due to air entering about the bleed valve threads...even with having added grease initially to the circumference. I got through the fronts and went to my Dealer shop and pulled in for a pressure bleeding for all four. I may try the Schwaben pressure bleeder next time. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/3-liter-multi-functional-filler-system/007311sch01a/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 02:50:29 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11539 on: August 02, 2019, 01:23:44 pm »
Booked mine in to R-Tech for K04 conversion and some other mods

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #11540 on: August 02, 2019, 02:50:07 pm »

@ljc19630 are you getting R-tech to do the work now?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #11541 on: August 02, 2019, 04:55:42 pm »
Decided to give my new OEM condenser some more protection. After 130,000 miles the old one is absolutely shot. Flies and everything else has eaten away at least 2 to 3 mm of fins and blocked the rest in all the areas that are in the airflow. Not sure how the inter-cooler and radiator actually manage to work to be honest. Bought some tin snips, stainless steel wire mesh and some cable ties. Drilled some convenient holes in the grille and cut out the shape. I think it looks great and should protect the condenser for longer. Just need to do the same on the upper grille now. The good thing is that if I feel flush I can just cut the cable ties and move it to a brand new grille at some point.

My only question is should I paint the aluminium black or leave it ? Most say don't bother as the heat transfer is by convection mostly and not radiation, so I think I am not going to bother  :smiley:

Great idea that.  A blocked condenser doesn't give the intercooler the best chance to cool the boost down!  Painting heat exchangers is pointless and stupid, so leave it bare  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11542 on: August 02, 2019, 06:15:41 pm »

@ljc19630 are you getting R-tech to do the work now?
Yes
To be honest my sons mate was a bit unreliable and took an age to answer any questions and also didn’t seem that interested, hence f*ck it I’ll just take a boot full of parts to R-Tech and let them do it. It’s not actually that much more expensive and at least I haven’t got to help out and will be done with the minimum of fuss

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #11543 on: August 02, 2019, 06:42:37 pm »
Renewed my insurance with Greenlight. Have dealt with David there for about a decade and he’s a real enthusiast.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11544 on: August 03, 2019, 12:13:43 am »
Another oil and filter change. Also changed the fuel filter and the carbon canister.

More to come over the weekend if I'm allowed out to play cars.

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
Facelift pic
« Reply #11545 on: August 04, 2019, 02:05:48 pm »
I finally got the issue with my washer jets retracting sorted after fitting the GT facelift to my 4motion, so all done.

Thanks to @shaunnorris7 for the washer jet covers (he sent me them some 3 years ago) and @Washout for the NOS ED30 splitter which has been in my shed for 2 years. So pleased to have finally finished :)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 02:07:33 pm by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline brammer

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #11546 on: August 07, 2019, 07:48:04 pm »
Cut open the old fuel filter that came off my GTI last week. Not sure what I expected but the filter element does look dark and dirty. Definitely worth changing I think.

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #11547 on: August 07, 2019, 09:53:52 pm »
Cut open the old fuel filter that came off my GTI last week. Not sure what I expected but the filter element does look dark and dirty. Definitely worth changing I think.

Just ordered one myself, doubt it's ever been done and the car is on 150K now. All part of getting a bit happier keeping the old girl instead of changing to a newer car later in the year.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11548 on: August 08, 2019, 02:30:58 pm »
New alternator belt and cherry hazard switch

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11549 on: August 09, 2019, 10:20:45 am »
Fitted my 7kg Odyssey PC680 battery. I was waiting to figure out how to mount it properly before fitting it but my original battery died this morning.