Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527876 times)

Offline MoMo

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11775 on: January 30, 2020, 01:04:46 am »
Do you like the PS4's

Yeah, I personally do. But I'll have to wait and see what's in store when I need to get all 4 replaced, so far not an issue with them apart from the punture that occurred but has been patched up since and no air loss, will have to keep an eye on it over the next few months  :doh:

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11776 on: January 30, 2020, 01:46:21 am »
On the list.

Cheers

Offline tlnds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #11777 on: January 31, 2020, 11:19:57 am »
Bought an R32! Loving it

original was cracked so added an OEM chrome switch:

Offline fazi123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #11778 on: January 31, 2020, 04:33:04 pm »
Bought an R32! Loving it

original was cracked so added an OEM chrome switch:

Congrats on the purchase!

Could I ask you where you got the chrome switch? Every time I look for one for mine I can't find it with just the rear fog......

Thanks

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #11779 on: January 31, 2020, 05:10:20 pm »
Finally got to R-Tech... outstanding Stage 1 but appalling carbon build up needed to be removed first. There are actually 2 inlet valves in there somewhere  :grin: So basically standard with Precat delete, BCS premium sports cat back and injector and inlet manifold clean.  Highly recommended. Car is on 138k miles.

Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11780 on: January 31, 2020, 06:18:24 pm »
Nice  :happy2:   Things do get pretty filthy in there!  Mine's on the same mileage and was walnut blasted 20K ago I think.  I didn't notice any difference  :grin:

Amazing these engines still make so much power after so many miles and gunk in them  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #11781 on: January 31, 2020, 07:27:34 pm »
Some great figures and curves there Ripstop. How does it feel to drive? Also are you on stock clutch?

Offline imprezzaworks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11782 on: January 31, 2020, 08:25:42 pm »
Bet that goes well .

Offline tlnds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11783 on: February 01, 2020, 10:27:43 am »

Congrats on the purchase!

Could I ask you where you got the chrome switch? Every time I look for one for mine I can't find it with just the rear fog......

Thanks

I just found it on eBay, most have front/rear fogs like you say but there’s still some out there

Offline Cosmos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • 376bhp 423lbs torque
  • My Ride: Golf Gti Edition 30
« Reply #11784 on: February 01, 2020, 03:24:36 pm »
Just swapped my drivers door lock mechanism due to it getting worse with not wanting to unlock with the keyfob. Used the guide on this site which made the job very easy.

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #11785 on: February 01, 2020, 09:43:55 pm »
Nice  :happy2:   Things do get pretty filthy in there!  Mine's on the same mileage and was walnut blasted 20K ago I think.  I didn't notice any difference  :grin:

Amazing these engines still make so much power after so many miles and gunk in them  :happy2:
Cheers Pudding, I took it for a drive after the inlet clean prior to mapping and in my case I noticed a smoother power delivery but no outright change in power. The top end was definitely "cleaner"  :grin: I was amazed at the stock power over book but from the factory its obviously restricted by the precat and standard exhausts. I also like that I can keep the standard air box... all I did was pop a new filter in before going up to Nuneaton.

Some great figures and curves there Ripstop. How does it feel to drive? Also are you on stock clutch?
Thanks mate... its nice when your effort in prepping the car pays off.  I have done cam chain, follower, DV, PCV, New condenser (better airflow onto the intercooler) and clutch with Millers or Quantum 5/40. The power and torque curves are really smooth and you can tell when you drive it that its very progressive and smooth. Its absolutely lovely to drive now. It really is a totally different car and at the moment I am experimenting with the 5 throttle curves Niki put on. I find level 5 is probably a little twitchy and is too sensitive for town driving or general pootling about.  Level 1 is much more linear and needs a lot more movement to drive well. Currently my favourite is 3 or 4. I am on a Helix organic as after 138k I wasn't going to trust that the new power wouldn't kill the old clutch at some point soon.

All in all best performance upgrade I could hope for on a 12 year old car  :happy2:
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11786 on: February 20, 2020, 11:01:53 pm »
Today I did its annual intake valve blow-by of 11 parts fuel and 1 part Xylene(sometimes I use Naphtha or spirits). I put 4k to 4.5k miles per year on it. I have been doing this annually so to avoid a major amount of carbon going through the combustion chambers.
I see above some discussion on noticing a difference in power after clean valves. I never notice more power, but I definitely notice a drastic smoothness when on the throttle and during those early revs. I never do the manual or blast cleaning, but I have bore-scope pics that show me nearly all of the major build-up leaves the valves and inlet ports.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 04:58:03 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
« Reply #11787 on: February 21, 2020, 08:23:38 am »
Just swapped my drivers door lock mechanism due to it getting worse with not wanting to unlock with the keyfob. Used the guide on this site which made the job very easy.

Hi do you have a link to the guide my passenger door has the same issue:-)

Thanks

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11788 on: February 21, 2020, 05:22:21 pm »

You should drive around with it looking like that!  Maybe it's just me but I think that looks well cool  :grin:  Such a convenient way to attack door jobs, well done VW  :notworthy:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11789 on: February 21, 2020, 05:25:46 pm »

Cheers Pudding, I took it for a drive after the inlet clean prior to mapping and in my case I noticed a smoother power delivery but no outright change in power. The top end was definitely "cleaner"  :grin: I was amazed at the stock power over book but from the factory its obviously restricted by the precat and standard exhausts. I also like that I can keep the standard air box... all I did was pop a new filter in before going up to Nuneaton.

Thanks mate... its nice when your effort in prepping the car pays off.  I have done cam chain, follower, DV, PCV, New condenser (better airflow onto the intercooler) and clutch with Millers or Quantum 5/40. The power and torque curves are really smooth and you can tell when you drive it that its very progressive and smooth. Its absolutely lovely to drive now. It really is a totally different car and at the moment I am experimenting with the 5 throttle curves Niki put on. I find level 5 is probably a little twitchy and is too sensitive for town driving or general pootling about.  Level 1 is much more linear and needs a lot more movement to drive well. Currently my favourite is 3 or 4. I am on a Helix organic as after 138k I wasn't going to trust that the new power wouldn't kill the old clutch at some point soon.

All in all best performance upgrade I could hope for on a 12 year old car  :happy2:

Have you got the most recent Helix with the billet pressure plate?  I've got the older one with the (steel) Sachs Sporting pressure plate and I hate it!!  Really hard to get a smooth bite pulling away at low revs.  And it's stupid heavy.  I'm thinking of going back to the standard clutch and living with the power limitations I hate it that much, but if you can convince me the Billet one is good, I might go down that route.   I've put about 60K on the older Helix and it's certainly held the power just fine, but awful to live with on a daily basis.

Glad you're happy with the car and the new found power.  These machines are very addictive when sprinkled with the right mods  :happy2: