Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2543080 times)

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12210 on: August 21, 2021, 02:19:04 am »
4 new Goodyear Eagle F1 Super Sports fitted. £348.10 from KwikFit.
Keen to hear how these perform. What did you have previously?

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #12211 on: August 21, 2021, 09:39:10 pm »
I had Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Offline Cosmos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • 376bhp 423lbs torque
  • My Ride: Golf Gti Edition 30
« Reply #12212 on: August 22, 2021, 03:53:20 pm »
Finally found a good condition leather gti armrest for my car and was fitted today.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #12213 on: August 26, 2021, 06:56:05 pm »
two rear wheel bearings and wheel speed sensors and a miltek down pipe with sports cat.

Next stop R-tech for a map.

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 37
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #12214 on: August 26, 2021, 08:17:31 pm »
4 toyo TR1s fitted
 https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b6531s134p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_18_inch_Toyo_Tyres_Car_Toyo_Proxes_TR1_-_R18_inch_-_225_40_18_225_40R18
  Changed from Rainsport 3s of which Ive had several sets on both Mk5s  Just fancied a change :grin:

Offline Irish_Mk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12215 on: August 26, 2021, 09:28:38 pm »

A flat tyre highlighting the need For some urgent TLC over the weekend

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #12216 on: August 30, 2021, 07:50:13 am »
After fitting the rear parking sensors and replacing the bottom half of the bumper bumper due to damage (with hidden tow-bar) , I refitted the bumper and gave the car a very quick overdue wash.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 07:52:04 am by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #12217 on: August 31, 2021, 08:36:40 pm »
A few bits and bobs attacked today. 

For my starter, I fitted these nifty Audi TT jacking points.  Saves wear and tear on the pinch welds, which often fold over when numpties jack the car up in the wrong place.

And for the main course, I was back under the cam cover again to fix a nasty rattling from the chain area when the engine was hot. 

I replaced the chain and tensioner 5 years (60K miles) ago so wasn't expecting those to be worn out already, which they aren't as it transpired.

Nice HPFP lobe condition for 160K miles old  :happy2:

Chain stuff all good, can't catch a finger nail in these grooves.

So what was causing the noise then?

A busted oil control ring in the VVT housing/chain cover  :doh:  Seems to be quite common since VW switched from metal to plastic rings.  There were no fault codes and the actual and requested cam angles always matched.  The symptoms were sluggish boost onset, lumpy idle, flat bottom end, jolting through the drivetrain coming off/on the throttle and a horrendous racket just off idle.

I think the rings break when sliding the chain cover back on not quite square and they catch in the VVT phaser's wear grooves, by which point it's too late, you don't know that's happened until it either makes a noise, or you get a "Cam phasing slow response" fault code.

I can't see them just randomly snapping for no reason during normal use, but I have another theory to put on the dinner table.  Stiff uprated engine mounts (which I did use for a short period).  I'm wondering if the excessive vibration causes a harmonic resonance the delicate plastic rings don't like, and they shatter.  Normally the soggy oem mounts absorb all that. Dunno.  Can't think of any other reasons.

Either way, a new VVT phaser, chain, tensioner and cover were fitted and the noise is gone, finally!  My midrange torque is back as well, yay  :laugh:  It's lovely and smooth again too.  6th gear now pulls like 5th used to, so it's definitely fighting fit again.

And for desert, I stuck some new engine mounts on.  Lemforder brand.  Identical to OEM but a third of the price.  They even have the OEM part numbers on them, but the VW/Audi branding is ground off  :grin:

You can always tell when a mount is f'cked from how off the bolt holes are on the new mount.  That amount of misalignment caused some pretty interesting torque steer  :grin:

And for the cheeseboard, fresh engine and gear oil  :happy2:

I had got to the point of thinking of selling up due to that noise, but feeding it some new parts has breathed a completely new lease of life into the old 160K girl  :smiley:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 08:45:43 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
« Reply #12218 on: September 01, 2021, 11:11:38 am »
Hit a big milestone this morning, I was sad enough to pull over and take a photo.

As an 05 plate i guess its not too bad really, had her since March 2016, 61k.

Will hopefully order a BCS downpipe soon, fit the HPFP with Vis internals and book in a slot at rtech performance before the year is over.

I've convinced the misses to go on a trip that sort of way as Birmingham has the country's biggest Primark. :evilgrin:

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #12219 on: September 01, 2021, 11:54:27 am »
Pudding,

Did you go with all genuine parts on the chain/tension stuff? Whats the pricing like? I see there are a few aftermarket options showing up.

Panda, That's a low miler if its 2005  :happy2:

Offline TomF

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12220 on: September 01, 2021, 11:06:47 pm »
Back in March I did the rear hatch wiring loom (left side) and replaced the failing high level brake light at the same time, which made it reasonably straightforward, just fiddly. Followed the guide on here to just clip the light back in and all should be good. Out driving on the motorway the other day I noticed in my rear view the light was hanging down. Not sure if my own manhandling or poor plastic, but clip has already cracked so it can't hold itself in. I also noticed it is already letting water in and some of the LEDs are failing.

So, I spent the evening realigning the washer nozzle to 2 o'clock as per VW technician's manual (still can't quite get it to spray as nicely as it does when in the 12 o'clock position), then putting a bead of silicone all around the light unit to stop further water ingress, although I don't feel particularly confident about how long the light will last. Tomorrow I will stick it back in with some glue and pray!

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #12221 on: September 02, 2021, 02:13:12 am »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #12222 on: September 03, 2021, 01:57:16 pm »
Pudding,

Did you go with all genuine parts on the chain/tension stuff? Whats the pricing like? I see there are a few aftermarket options showing up.

Panda, That's a low miler if its 2005  :happy2:

I did indeed.  That little job cost me £700 in parts.  £500 for the VVT phaser and chain cover, plus £200 for the chain and tensioner.   I could have gotten away with just a new set of plastic rings in the chain cover, but after seeing the wear grooves in the phaser, I'm glad I ordered the stuff in before doing the job!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #12223 on: September 03, 2021, 03:04:34 pm »
Washed, covered it in fallout remover and clayed it.

Last time I did that was 3 years ago so it was due.

I've bought a da polisher so want to give that a go and then seal it.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12224 on: September 03, 2021, 04:23:43 pm »
A few bits and bobs attacked today. 
A busted oil control ring in the VVT housing/chain cover  :doh: 

I think the rings break when sliding the chain cover back on not quite square and they catch in the VVT phaser's wear grooves.

I can't see them just randomly snapping for no reason during normal use, but I have another theory to put on the dinner table. 

Either way, a new VVT phaser, chain, tensioner and cover were fitted and the noise is gone, finally! 
Right, with no grooves in the adjuster...the rings shouldn't catch when the cover is mounted. I thought it possible that perhaps this is from when the rings are initially mounted. Getting them on isn't an easy task and maybe, if one is stressed or tension slightly damages a ring in that process, it comes apart later on after some amount of use. I've seen people post breaking one or more of the rings in just trying to install them. So stress, or tension cracks, could happen in a factory with someone having trouble getting the rings into place.

But, a very nice post...showing there's more to it than just doing the chain and tensioner.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 03:53:04 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1