Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2546959 times)

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12390 on: June 14, 2022, 10:02:28 pm »
So I fitted the gearbox mount and whilst there, cleaned up the earth straps where they mount to the chassis. No issues fitting once the engine was jacked up an inch or two and supported.  Battery and and tray removed then the 7 bolts holding the mount in place.  Mount removed, replaced with polybushed ones, bolts replaced, tightened and then all back together. About an hour without cleaning the earth straps.

A lot more initial NVH, now feels like a tired old Peugeot 406 diesel taxi with a couple hundred thousand miles on the clock at idle. Not nasty but a big difference from the old ones and the gearbox mount I removed was so bad I could rock the engine by hand whilst in situ and once out I could move it with one hand and it squeaks like a b.... 

It drives and feels so much better and that's just a quick 2 mile spin to ensure all is good.  Time will tell and if it really annoys me, I'll replaced with OE or OE+ and put these up for sale.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #12391 on: June 16, 2022, 12:57:38 pm »
Passed the MOT again today.  :smiley:

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #12392 on: June 16, 2022, 02:29:33 pm »
I drove passed mine parked up on the road. Only use it 2 weekends outta the month. Thinking of selling it to be fair. Not worth paying £30 a month th Road tax to hardly use it.
I use my wife's pug 107 for town driving. Easier to park, better on fuel and £20 a year road tax.

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #12393 on: June 16, 2022, 02:44:12 pm »
I fitted the latest BR revision CAN gateway in my girlfriend’s Mk1 Tiguan and noted how easy it is to get to compared to my Mk5. 5 screws to remove the glovebox and there it is! All coded with no errors. I seem to be fiddling with hers more than mine lately.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 02:47:56 pm by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12394 on: June 17, 2022, 12:09:30 am »
I didn't do much:
Changed the oil and filter. I do so each year because I only put 1200 miles on it over the last year.
I noticed a few drops of oil on the floor of the garage. The bottom of the oil pan was oily, but no traces of oil coming down from above as there were no trails of oil on the sides of the pan/sump. I determined it must be from the drain plug. Which is a magnetized, aftermarket, bolt. I put the original back in.
...and that's all.

Everything looked clean and tight and next year will be time (160k miles) for another DSG service and possibly time to take care of its cam timing bits. But it still shows a cam phase position of just -3°KW cold and -2°KW warmed to temps. Also, its Cam Adjustment (Intake) % is just 5.9% (MB 091 Block 2)....so it is not working hard to achieve cam adjustment at the moment. Pointing to proper oil flow throughout the VVT system.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 08:25:02 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12395 on: June 17, 2022, 10:50:26 pm »
I've been very pleased with the increase in stability and solidity after fitting the poly engine and g  arbox mounts but the vibrations at idle and pottering around town were starting to get on my nerves.  I had an idea about mounting the mounts onto something that could absorb some o th mounts so i made some tamplates out of the rubber mat I use to lie on and protect my knees when working on the car.  I can't remember what it's called but it has that jigsaw edge that allows sefgments to b jointed together seamlessly to make a big mat.

Anyway I loosened the bolts on the drivers side, removed them and slid the rubber templat I made with the holes in it for the bolts to pass through and tightened them up.  I then did the same on the bolts holdiing the mount to the chassis and slid the other rubber template in betwwen the mount and the chassis and tightened these up too.

On starting up there is much less vibration being transmitted through the cabin. Tomorrow I will do the same to the gearbox mount.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12396 on: June 18, 2022, 02:22:35 am »
I've been very pleased with the increase in stability and solidity after fitting the poly engine and g  arbox mounts but the vibrations at idle and pottering around town were starting to get on my nerves.  I had an idea about mounting the mounts onto something that could absorb some o th mounts so i made some tamplates out of the rubber mat I use to lie on and protect my knees when working on the car.  I can't remember what it's called but it has that jigsaw edge that allows sefgments to b jointed together seamlessly to make a big mat.

Anyway I loosened the bolts on the drivers side, removed them and slid the rubber templat I made with the holes in it for the bolts to pass through and tightened them up.  I then did the same on the bolts holdiing the mount to the chassis and slid the other rubber template in betwwen the mount and the chassis and tightened these up too.

On starting up there is much less vibration being transmitted through the cabin. Tomorrow I will do the same to the gearbox mount.
Would it be this stuff? I always keep this in the garage for when needed.

If it doesn't hold up for long...try 1/8 inch polyurethane sheet in 60A or 90A durometer. Amazon always has it. Or even a silicone sheet of 40A or 60A may hold up to the compression you are applying.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #12397 on: June 18, 2022, 12:27:53 pm »
Were you able to torque the bolts down to spec with rubber matting under the mount? I'm thinking the clamping force of the mount to car body might be compromised with a flexible material under it?

But if it works with no adverse affects  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12398 on: June 18, 2022, 01:24:09 pm »

Would it be this stuff? I always keep this in the garage for when needed.

If it doesn't hold up for long...try 1/8 inch polyurethane sheet in 60A or 90A durometer. Amazon always has it. Or even a silicone sheet of 40A or 60A may hold up to the compression you are applying.

Yes.  Thanks for the advice, I'll bear it in mind.

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12399 on: June 18, 2022, 06:13:07 pm »
Were you able to torque the bolts down to spec with rubber matting under the mount? I'm thinking the clamping force of the mount to car body might be compromised with a flexible material under it?

No, I bottled it as these are the original bolts and they're stretch aren't they?  If I'm happy with the set up on both mounts, I'll order new bolts and torque down to spec. But for now, since I'm still 'tweaking' they're nic and snug but not torqued down. One thing I did notice is that most of them weren't that tight to undo at all,  Thanks for the advice though, I like the way you worded it...

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12400 on: June 20, 2022, 11:25:34 am »

No, I bottled it as these are the original bolts and they're stretch aren't they?  If I'm happy with the set up on both mounts, I'll order new bolts and torque down to spec. But for now, since I'm still 'tweaking' they're nic and snug but not torqued down. One thing I did notice is that most of them weren't that tight to undo at all,  Thanks for the advice though, I like the way you worded it...

Yeah they are unfortunately. Maybe someone's been in there before and reused the bolts?  That is always a sign of reused stretch bolts.....they work loose, especially on high vibration parts like engines, gearboxes and chassis components.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12401 on: June 21, 2022, 12:36:01 am »
".....these are the original bolts and they're stretch aren't they?
Just for your future reference: a VAG "stretch bolt", or bolt you should replace each time it is loosened, are those which list a torque value with the addition of this terminology: "plus an additional 90° (¼ turn)," are considered bolts to replace. This is what I'm told by a VW tech.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 12:39:22 am by ROH ECHT »

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #12402 on: June 21, 2022, 08:48:28 am »
Decided enough of sagging headlining. Not today but recently I have had my headlining retrimmed along with pillars and the door cards. Went with lighter grey alcantara-like material to lighten up and refreshed the interior.

And then I figured since I had the doorcards off I should just replace/upgrade the speakers. Went for focal vw fit replacements front and back.

Yes it was all a bit of an indulgence and not strictly needed but felt like splashing out on it. Now it makes it a little trickier deciding which car to take out for the weekend spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12403 on: June 21, 2022, 09:40:20 am »
Did a compression test.  120psi across the board.  Time to dump it off to WBAC I think  :grin:

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #12404 on: June 21, 2022, 11:37:35 am »
 :signLOL:
What's the lowest reading that's still ok ?