Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2569819 times)

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12450 on: July 16, 2022, 03:29:53 pm »

Aren’t you based in the US? If so isn’t your fuel consumption about right based on fact your US gallon is smaller than UK gallon (therefore you would cover less miles)?

Yes...I live in Oregon.
....and I did not know this about the volume difference in gallons before.
Our gallon, yes, is 128 oz/3.78L.
Now I see why my mpg is always less than what you all post.
Based on your gallon/4.54L and the MFD/2 average MPG is 29.7 (US)...its MPG (UK) is 35.6 right now.

My concern has only been for the initial comparison to the K04 tune-MPG on mine. Initially, with the K04 upgrade in 2010, it was easy to keep it between 28 and 29 MPG (US). Over the years this dropped...sometimes I had trouble keeping it above 23 MPG. All of the fueling bits I replaced in 2020 and the turbo in 2021...plus going back to my original GIAC K04 tune and reinstalling a Cat to the DP; got me feeling I was close to restoring the MPG as I was able to achieve an average of 25 and 26 mpg (US). Feeling much better about it now. Because I was at one point thinking its cam timing had a lot to do with the MPG. But my cam timing's phase position is just -2° warmed, and ignition timing data never reveals itself to be out of wack.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 07:40:34 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12451 on: July 16, 2022, 08:24:48 pm »
Thanks Pudding, some very good points there.

Offline GilesWoodward59

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #12452 on: July 18, 2022, 01:15:58 pm »
Replaced the from grill today after the number plate mount fell off the old one. PO had really hacked about on the fixings so I took a punt on a £40 eBay item. Good quality and fit. I was pleasantly surprised. Not sure how long it will last but could always swap it out again in a year or two!

Old:

New:

This was the item if anyone is interested:

Item no: 265197035907
Edition 30 - No. 1233

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12453 on: July 18, 2022, 09:39:25 pm »
Did some research and made my own solid engine mounts by reusing my old ones and filling the voids with a polyurethane sealant/adhesive.  O deliberately wanted something that kept the nvh down as although the ebay ones I bought were good I was getting tired of it feeling like I was driving a diesel.

I bought this one, https://www.toolstation.com/puraflex-40-pu-sealant-adhesive/p67949 as it stated it has a high vibration resistance.  90 mins later both swapped and what a revelation.  No nvh, it feels like OEM and the engine barely moves. Bliss. 

Red are the ebay, white the originals with poly from Toolstation.  If anybody wants to replace their mounts and there car is either not a daily, is track focussed or doesn't mind the vibrations, let me know as I'll be putting these back up for sale at the end of the week.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #12454 on: July 19, 2022, 08:46:56 am »
Good stuff.  It's Shure rating is 37, so very similar to the stock rubber. Should work pretty well, just hope it stays put!  Also available in black for others considering this.

The datasheet says shrinkage can be as much as 10%, so you might need to top up any gaps that form over time.

I also considered urethane windscreen glue but that's around 55 Shure, so probably too stiff, but it would stick well!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12455 on: July 19, 2022, 10:58:17 am »
Thanks again @pudding and yes I also considered window frame sealant but it had a higher shure rating and the blurb didn't mention resistance to vibration, which after the previous ones I now considered as an important factor in my choice.

They don't feel as solid as the red ones, but so much better than before and without the harshness.  As I said, if I was tracking it or it was a weekend toy to be thrashed the red ones would be my choice every time, but being over 50 and when sitting in traffic or low speed driving it was just too annoying and I'm sure if I was in my twenties or thirties I wouldn't have minded.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12456 on: July 19, 2022, 12:16:17 pm »
I hated it in my 20s as much as I do now at 49  :grin:  I've always been picky about NVH so I find experiments like this interesting  :happy2:

What really annoys me is my MK6 diesel has 12 year old standard engine mounts, even the voided subframe bushes......and yet, that shifts perfectly and zero vibration.  I just find it bizarre that two cars essentially the same (my GTI even has a MK6 gearbox in it) can have such very different gear shift quality.  Maybe the TFSI engine is heavier and jumps around a lot more, not sure!

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #12457 on: July 26, 2022, 08:49:40 pm »
After replacing the VW badge from a Fox steering wheel to mine as they are the same, I also got a gloss black ring to cover the scratches on the airbag. Works for me  :smiley:

Before

After......blends in with the gloss black trims I have

« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 08:07:00 am by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12458 on: July 26, 2022, 08:56:53 pm »
Nice and fresh again

Mike

South Coast

Offline Mekaniko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #12459 on: July 27, 2022, 09:15:44 am »
After replacing the VW badge from a Fox steering wheel to mine as they are the same, I also got a gloss black ring to cover the scratches on the airbag. Works for me  :smiley:

So, is it possible to replace the VW bage of the airbag without removing the whole airbag?

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12460 on: July 27, 2022, 09:29:15 am »
Whole airbag needs to come off to do it properly, but is possible with it on.

The badge has four legs that reach through and round the airbag skin.
Mike

South Coast

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12461 on: July 30, 2022, 08:17:09 pm »
Well I finally attacked the clutch and flywheel job today (Saturday) OMG how heavy is the box on the GTI 🥴  I did my wife's mk5 1.6fsi the other week and that box was a lot lighter.

The clutch was shot and the flywheel not far off, so glad I did it all. 118k miles on the original kit.

A few hundred miles of bedding in to come, but wow what a difference

« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 08:19:25 pm by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12462 on: August 03, 2022, 10:02:43 pm »
Been working on the steering wheel lower trim/badge to match the rest of the car. Its a rattle can job (etch primer,black paint then gloss lacquer), but has come out quite nice with a lot of time building up layers of red paint on the raised GTI text.  :laugh:

Mike

South Coast

Offline Numero9

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12463 on: August 05, 2022, 08:48:51 pm »
Repainted the red stripe and got the black paint off the VW badge and GTi badge. Only a small change but makes a big difference to the look of the car. Gave the grill a real good clean too but now means got to clean the rest of the front to match it.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12464 on: August 05, 2022, 10:56:42 pm »
Well I finally attacked the clutch and flywheel job today (Saturday) OMG how heavy is the box on the GTI 🥴  I did my wife's mk5 1.6fsi the other week and that box was a lot lighter.

The clutch was shot and the flywheel not far off, so glad I did it all. 118k miles on the original kit.

A few hundred miles of bedding in to come, but wow what a difference

Good work fella.  Not looking too bad there for 118K.  I've seen them worn down to the rivets and surprisingly still gripping-ish!