Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527253 times)

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11340 on: November 01, 2018, 11:47:53 am »
Oil change with Millers Nanodrive. Well overdue. Old filter had deteriorated and came apart in my hands-not good. Oil black and stank.

Always difficult to vouch for so-called performance products, but having seen at least 3 independent dyno tests online which showed an improvement using Millers, figured it was worth a shot. It’s much cheaper now as well so made it a bit of a no-brainer.

Car is so much smoother and quieter now. And performance wise, it pulls much stronger. Definitely a noticeable difference on the bum dyno. How much of that is down to just needing an oil change anyway, who knows.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11341 on: November 01, 2018, 04:24:37 pm »
You'll be pleased with the new brakes.  I fitted the Clubsport S discs and new pads all round in August I think, or maybe September, my memory is shat.  All 4 pads are now well and truly bedded in and the stopping power is superb.  It used to be with the 312 setup, I'd drive a different car and head butt the windscreen when tapping the brakes for the first time.  Now it's the other way round  :smiley:

Did you go with GTI pads at the rear, or the 'ECO' ones VW offer?  I had to ask for the GTI ones, otherwise the dealer defaulted to the sawdust spec ones.

I'm looking forward to giving them a go. Was swithering for a while about what route to go. I actually had a set of DS2500 to fit. Got myself a bargain in the summer when I was having a wee look about so getting them fitted and a set of yellow stuff in the rear for now. They were starting to feel tired and spongy lost the peddle feel. Hoping a good bleed and new set up will bring it back to life.

Glad your enjoying them now I was looking at your thread when you were fitting them was intrigued  to hear your opinion on them. How are you finding the new ARB's? Having mine set up soft on the front and hard on the rear ended up going for 8kg/mm front springs and 6kg/mm on the rear springs with the new coilovers.

Yeah they're really good.  Can't go wrong with a pair of Eibachs tbh  :drinking:  I did find the front one added some choppiness to the ride quality, but I was able to tune that out by reducing the damping a couple of clicks.  Both bars are set to soft and I really like the cornering flatness and ride quality compromise  :smiley:   I don't know if it's just me, but the steering feels a lot heftier since fitting the arbs, in a good way!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #11342 on: November 17, 2018, 05:42:35 pm »
New tyres all round and full alignment setup on a Hunter last weekend.
Found a seized caliper on the brake disc change last week so today we have put a refurbed one on, full fluid change, bleed (including VCDS ABS cycle), bled clutch.
Fitted a scrapper bonnet to the car as well - been living with that for nearly two years (which is why I only paid 2 grand for the car in the first place as it was hand sprayed really badly with lacquer peel and bubbles galore). Looks much better and can deal with the couple of stone chips easily enough myself.
New set of wheel bolt covers too.

Very happy with the car now, time for a proper detail job on it I think

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11343 on: December 01, 2018, 03:48:11 pm »
Fitted rear eibach arb and drops links to match the front arb fitted inn the summer

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11344 on: December 01, 2018, 06:05:38 pm »
Replaced the rear brake light. Suddenly failed after 10 years of use. New one works a treat.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #11345 on: December 03, 2018, 12:00:27 am »
Put air in my tyres as the little warning light came on. They were all about 24 psi and I didn't notice just by eyeballing them :stupid: Pumped them to 36 psi and congratulated myself. It really does make the car feel tighter on the road  :happy2: Hopefully this wont start a tyre pressure debate  :indifferent:
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #11346 on: December 04, 2018, 11:10:43 pm »
Put air in my tyres as the little warning light came on. They were all about 24 psi and I didn't notice just by eyeballing them :stupid: Pumped them to 36 psi and congratulated myself. It really does make the car feel tighter on the road  :happy2: Hopefully this wont start a tyre pressure debate  :indifferent:

24 psi (1.65 bar) is too low. I like 36 psi (2.48 bar) on the front and 35 psi (2.4 bar) on the rear. :happy2:

Offline Newbieintown

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11347 on: December 05, 2018, 03:17:11 am »
Replaced the rear brake light. Suddenly failed after 10 years of use. New one works a treat.

Was this your high level brake light? Am having a mare with mine, was it a pain the change?
MK5 Golf GTI
200bhp
Tornado Red

Offline swight

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • My Ride: 2007 Golf GTi Edition 30 in Candy White
« Reply #11348 on: December 05, 2018, 11:03:01 am »
Decided to sell at its just sat in the garage

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #11349 on: December 05, 2018, 03:53:25 pm »

Was this your high level brake light? Am having a mare with mine, was it a pain the change?

You have to break the old one to fit the new one.

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #11350 on: December 29, 2018, 07:44:01 pm »
Finally got to do an engine bay spruce clean before winter really sets in. Protected with 303. Yep this is still a standard Eddy with no mods  :surprised: . Also discovered the Cam chain cover was eating into the wiring loom and so provided a plastic sleeve for protection. Just shows you need to look in the engine bay *closely* every now and then.

on Flickr on Flickr
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #11351 on: December 29, 2018, 09:17:30 pm »
Not 'today', but over the past few weeks:

- Highline clocks
- RNS510
- MFSW
- Cruise Control
- AutoPolar Bluetooth (Allows me to emulate bluetooth menu on the red FIS clocks)
- Bluetooth Module
- LED interior light kit

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*

Offline Tin Robot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #11352 on: December 31, 2018, 09:10:49 am »
Today:

Finish refurb of fog lamps and put in new LEDs (need to source another one as I've damaged the reflector finish on one!)
Ordered new lower grill as old one was broken (only discovered during clean)
Changing trim above glovebox finally - old one has a small indentation
Changing rear boot handle - keeping it stock but old one has a crack in it
Change puddle lights for LED
Change Passenger window switch (slight pin prick damage when putting in new passenger window)
Another coat of wax
4 new locking wheel nut covers ordered

Booked in for next week to replace the tinting on the front windows

For fans of Maqiurs Ultimate they have a gift pack on offer at £36 which also includes another couple of pads, paint restorer and polish. Against the £30 for the wax alone it seems a bargain.

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11353 on: January 01, 2019, 06:13:18 pm »
I went to take my headlamps out to polish up. Then spotted where my AC leak was coming from, once the front was off its very clear! I Picked up a new condenser from EuroCarParts for £95, Its a Denso one and the original is Denso too, so that's good.

Did a few other odd jobs while I was in there, I painted the inner bumper which you can just about see in the wheel arch, the paint was starting to peel. I then Found a cable that should have been connected to my alternator unplugged, so put that back in.

Started work on polishing the headlamps, another one still to do

Back to work tomorrow so won't get everything back together until the weekend. Considered sticking the 6r/s3 intercooler in while it's apart, but can't see any for sale. If anyone knows of any let me know.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 06:41:56 pm by neilw »
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #11354 on: January 04, 2019, 12:34:31 pm »
Just ordered 4x Yokohama Neova AD08R 225/40R18 tyres to replace my worn Federal 595 RS-R. They cost 50% more than the Federal do, so I hope they're better on track. :driver: