Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2526906 times)

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11355 on: January 04, 2019, 03:18:34 pm »
Just fitted these delightful very cool updates to my wing mirror indicators. Thanks to @v4rley for fantastic service and excellent quality kit.  :happy2: Just cleaned up the insides with a quick wash and clean so looks like new inside now as well. My OCD cleaning kicking in of course  :innocent: I think they go really well with a diamond black car.

https://streamable.com/2ocul

Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline Gtcpaul1971

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
  • Graphite blue 54 plate 5 Dr gti.
    • Email
  • My Ride: Graphite blue, 54 plate gti
« Reply #11356 on: January 04, 2019, 06:33:24 pm »
Oil service 128k miles.
Gfb dv+ installed. Rev D removed.
Graphite blue 54 plate.

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #11357 on: January 07, 2019, 02:18:23 pm »
Just fitted these delightful very cool updates to my wing mirror indicators. Thanks to @v4rley for fantastic service and excellent quality kit.  :happy2: Just cleaned up the insides with a quick wash and clean so looks like new inside now as well. My OCD cleaning kicking in of course  :innocent: I think they go really well with a diamond black car.

https://streamable.com/2ocul

Nice. How was the install ?

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #11358 on: January 09, 2019, 12:41:57 am »
Nice. How was the install ?

Very straightforward, I took ages over doing it and used a pry tool. I spent some time cleaning 11 years of dust and 2 spiders from the innards. Experience tells me the plastic retaining clips can be brittle so I took far longer than I needed to, to be careful. The cold didn't help my fingers either. The only trick I can suggest is to make sure you disassemble all the unit to just the bottom part and the motor/mount.  It makes fitting the new indicator a lot easier.  There are also loads of youtubes for this and I wouldn't use a screwdriver like some do.
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline Tin Robot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11359 on: January 23, 2019, 09:18:03 pm »
Had wheels and Geo done.

Was told by one that it was the best Mk5 he had ever seen and the old guy who did the work was very happy with it.

IMG_2578

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #11360 on: January 25, 2019, 03:17:52 pm »
Well after my engine died in November after a dead oil pump caused later complications I now have a nice 50K mile engine/turbo on it. And even though the older engine was maintained, you can tell it's newer, just smoother and pulls that bit harder. Had the cambelt, water pump and various other bits done as well as clutch, flywheel etc. Happy for it to be home.

Have a set of new wheels to go on if no-one buys them, then finally get around to putting in the DAB HU I bought last year. Then it's get the rust sorted, spray the bumper plastics and polish the exhaust once it warms up :)

Offline AntzGti

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11361 on: January 26, 2019, 06:52:40 pm »
Replaced the in line thermostat, after replacing the main thermostat had no impact on engine getting to an maintaining running temps.

Finally solved and engine temp now gets up to 89c without any issues....:)

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11362 on: February 02, 2019, 07:37:00 pm »
Fitted new maf, I'm sure it drives better now.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11363 on: February 02, 2019, 08:28:12 pm »
Wow, looks amazing

Offline Chesto18

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11364 on: February 02, 2019, 09:51:51 pm »
Installed MTEC sidelights. Very white. H7’s next followed by yellow
fog lights.

Offline Tin Robot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11365 on: February 02, 2019, 10:18:18 pm »
Those wheels look utterly stunning. Not a big fan of modding ( wrong forum for me I guess) but they look spot on with a black car. Not sure about gold badges.

I changed my lower front grill today as the old one was damaged. I took out a few rusting screws while I was at it, sanded them down and resprayed them with black gloss. Will get them all done eventually. Before putting the grill back in I gave it a really good clean up. When the engine bay gets detailed I will take it all off and do a more extensive job.

Next up - into the retrimmers for new leather on drivers bolster and general seat refurb. That is happening Monday and I cannot wait. I think I now own the most expensive stock Mk5 GTI. Could have bought an Edition 30 by now.

Offline jgalla89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11366 on: February 11, 2019, 11:54:49 am »
Not today, but Saturday....

changed the battery on the golf. Was told in November by VW that my battery was weak. Have pushed my luck since and has recently been getting slower to turn over when it starts. Hadn't driven the car for a week and went to move it on Thursday, dead.....

so did some research and found a few threads on here that mentioned this https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e44/

Came Saturday and fitted by following a guide on here. Threw some fault lights on that cleared when I drove down the road and starts up straight away now  :happy2:

Only thing is it seems to be a few mm taller than the original VW battery that was in the car so my battery cover won't clip on properly at the back.

Offline Tin Robot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11367 on: February 14, 2019, 06:55:04 pm »
1) Front wings removed - dumb foam removed, everything cleaned out, everything coated in rust preventer.
2) Bumper, wings and side resprayed to get rid of paint problems.
3) New bump strips installed after paint.

Now I just have to wait until I can wax it - I think I need to wait 5-6 weeks don't I?

Not really much left to do with mine except a really good engine detail. Anyone in Leicestershire recommended?

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11368 on: February 14, 2019, 08:08:35 pm »
Fitted mcgard locking wheel nuts and replaced all the hoses in the evap system.

Ran my pedal box plus cable so the control box part is tidily stashed the little drawer under the steering wheel.

Offline KJNGTi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #11369 on: February 14, 2019, 10:03:25 pm »
Fitted new parcel shelf hooks as the original ones had snapped off. Cost me £4 after finding a seller on eBay who sells loads of these for mk5’s