Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527272 times)

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11430 on: May 02, 2019, 07:18:46 pm »
I changed the diverter valve to a rev G .Absolutely different car .

Can you stick on any revision? I don't really know the difference between revisions or if I should tackle the job myself. It is running stock so need some guidance.

It's either three or four bolts. I've seen YouTube  vids where people take the drivers wheel off to change it, I have access to a ramp so have done it from underneath the car.

Offline Lucky ducky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #11431 on: May 02, 2019, 09:59:37 pm »
When I bought my 2005 last year it was missing cruise control..... BOOM
i fitted it this evening I thrilled to bits.. Best mod yet for a tenner

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #11432 on: May 03, 2019, 12:52:44 am »

Can you stick on any revision? I don't really know the difference between revisions or if I should tackle the job myself. It is running stock so need some guidance.

Since you’re stock, use revision G, especially if your car is DSG. I’ve replaced mine and a few others in the garage with drivers side jacked up and jack stands in place for safety. Not a difficult job, just a bit fiddly. Having a 1/4” drive ratchet with a 5mm bit makes things considerably easier.

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11433 on: May 03, 2019, 05:18:21 pm »
Drove mine like I stole it!!! First time in the car for a week so had a great blast out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stefanwalker14

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11434 on: May 03, 2019, 06:56:06 pm »
@ljc19630 Do this every Friday evening after being in the work van all week :signLOL:  Never fails to put a smile on my face!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11435 on: May 03, 2019, 07:22:29 pm »
Have driven mine like that every day for 5 years  :smiley:  Still not bored of it.  I put that down to the Ohlins coilovers and Eibach ARBs.  Every corner is a thrill  :drinking:

Has anyone else had their ESP kick on fast corners?  The car feels like it can go way faster than my comfort zone but the ESP kicks in and starts stabbing at the brakes mid corner!  Annoying!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #11436 on: May 03, 2019, 07:56:09 pm »
One of my local roads has a 4th gear corner with a bump in the middle - ESP kicks in on that, as you say annoying.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=hafs7dkq4lnl75vt3cl2ht7n01&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #11437 on: May 03, 2019, 08:21:00 pm »
Have driven mine like that every day for 5 years  :smiley:  Still not bored of it.  I put that down to the Ohlins coilovers and Eibach ARBs.  Every corner is a thrill  :drinking:

Has anyone else had their ESP kick on fast corners?  The car feels like it can go way faster than my comfort zone but the ESP kicks in and starts stabbing at the brakes mid corner!  Annoying!

Yes but only 2/3 times in the 9 years I have had it.

I love my pss10 but they are happiest when mid corner, under load..... but a bit sh*t for comfort in a straight line.

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11438 on: May 03, 2019, 10:00:30 pm »

Yep, I take that as a sign that I'm driving it like a gti.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #11439 on: May 04, 2019, 01:39:20 pm »

Yes, when the front starts to slip the ESP kicks in. If you’re confident enough just turn it off and drive as you like.  :driver:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #11440 on: May 05, 2019, 10:56:41 am »
Did some laps on track last Wednesday. :driver:

Offline Tin Robot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11441 on: May 05, 2019, 11:49:59 am »
I’m on my way back from driving to Spa for the WEC racing. Been faultless as expected and just about to tick over to 45,000 miles. Now on bruge and after lunch filling the boot with booze before getting back on the Chunnel. Been an awesome 4 days and the golf has been just fantastic.

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11442 on: May 07, 2019, 08:52:13 am »
I took my back wheels off with the view to clean them up really nicely and put on some Gtechnique wheel guard but decided not to bother and look at getting them refurbished first, as they are really got great when you look closely.

Then while they were off decided I'd put on my Bilstein B8 shock absorbers, I've had in the garage for over a year! The back end feels smoother now and doesn't crash into bumps as much as it did before. Just need to find time to fit the front ones now.

Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline Nathan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11443 on: May 07, 2019, 11:14:28 am »

Sure most people will say to go for a Rev G .Plenty of DIY guides about ,it's a bit awkward to do if you only have Jack &Axel stands but completely do-able ,it's how I did it,took the wheel off and used every extension going and worked blind for alot of it :D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11444 on: May 07, 2019, 03:47:51 pm »

Yes, when the front starts to slip the ESP kicks in. If you’re confident enough just turn it off and drive as you like.  :driver:

Can't turn off ESP, only TC. 

Just for clarity, I'm not even on the throttle when it kicks in.  I think it's just a combination of road speed + steering angle + zero throttle = one confused ECU!  It's a down hill, sweeping left hand off ramp and it stabs at the right hand front brake caliper to scrub off speed.  I take it at 80mph.  To be fair, most 'normal' (sane) people take it at 40-50  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D