Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527870 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11445 on: May 07, 2019, 04:00:52 pm »
Have driven mine like that every day for 5 years  :smiley:  Still not bored of it.  I put that down to the Ohlins coilovers and Eibach ARBs.  Every corner is a thrill  :drinking:

Has anyone else had their ESP kick on fast corners?  The car feels like it can go way faster than my comfort zone but the ESP kicks in and starts stabbing at the brakes mid corner!  Annoying!

Yes but only 2/3 times in the 9 years I have had it.

I love my pss10 but they are happiest when mid corner, under load..... but a bit sh*t for comfort in a straight line.

What damper adjustments are you running?  I always use 50% up front and 25% at the back.  That's the main difference between B16 and Ohlins DFV......the Ohlins are a bit more civilised over the rough stuff, but feel like the B16 in the corners  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #11446 on: May 08, 2019, 01:44:33 pm »
Has anyone else had their ESP kick on fast corners?  The car feels like it can go way faster than my comfort zone but the ESP kicks in and starts stabbing at the brakes mid corner!  Annoying!

Yes, when the front starts to slip the ESP kicks in. If you’re confident enough just turn it off and drive as you like.  :driver:

Can't turn off ESP, only TC. 

Just for clarity, I'm not even on the throttle when it kicks in.  I think it's just a combination of road speed + steering angle + zero throttle = one confused ECU!  It's a down hill, sweeping left hand off ramp and it stabs at the right hand front brake caliper to scrub off speed.  I take it at 80mph.  To be fair, most 'normal' (sane) people take it at 40-50  :grin:

If your ESP cluster light turns on without flashing your ESP should be almost fully off. With just TC off the ESP light flashes.
I have those 2 stages available on my diesel with the newer ABS pump. On my GTI it just has the ESP turned on solid when I deactivate the ESP.  :confused:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11447 on: May 08, 2019, 02:01:13 pm »

Yes, when the front starts to slip the ESP kicks in. If you’re confident enough just turn it off and drive as you like.  :driver:

Can't turn off ESP, only TC. 

Just for clarity, I'm not even on the throttle when it kicks in.  I think it's just a combination of road speed + steering angle + zero throttle = one confused ECU!  It's a down hill, sweeping left hand off ramp and it stabs at the right hand front brake caliper to scrub off speed.  I take it at 80mph.  To be fair, most 'normal' (sane) people take it at 40-50  :grin:

If your ESP cluster light turns on without flashing your ESP should be almost fully off. With just TC off the ESP light flashes.
I have those 2 stages available on my diesel with the newer ABS pump. On my GTI it just has the ESP turned on solid when I deactivate the ESP.  :confused:

I don't look at the cluster lights  :grin:   I can still feel the ESP stabbing at the brakes with TC turned off.  I think on the MK6 you can turn ESP off with the long coding in VCDS so that it's off permanently.  There is no such feature in my 2007 GTI.  The ESP has saved me a couple of times in bad weather though, so it's probably best to leave it on  :smiley:

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #11448 on: May 08, 2019, 10:13:48 pm »
Pudding - Newer ABS units like the MK60EC1 ones found from 2010 cars an onwards actually have a few different options in the ESP
Older models like the BE-BJ-BL has HW31 (i think) which is only 19 byte long coding which doesn't have that much ESP options like newer units like inde CB-CC which is HW46 this is a 20 byte long coding which has byte 19 only for ESP options like fully deactivated, ESP sport and such
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11449 on: May 09, 2019, 05:23:42 pm »
Pudding - Newer ABS units like the MK60EC1 ones found from 2010 cars an onwards actually have a few different options in the ESP
Older models like the BE-BJ-BL has HW31 (i think) which is only 19 byte long coding which doesn't have that much ESP options like newer units like inde CB-CC which is HW46 this is a 20 byte long coding which has byte 19 only for ESP options like fully deactivated, ESP sport and such

Good to know, thanks mate!

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11450 on: May 09, 2019, 05:28:36 pm »
Well due to P0171 code constantly re appearing post Revo STG2 Map I’ve ordered a new PCV valve, and N80 purge valve. Also ordered new cam follower and will do all 3 at the weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #11451 on: May 11, 2019, 12:47:32 am »
Well due to P0171 code constantly re appearing post Revo STG2 Map I’ve ordered a new PCV valve, and N80 purge valve. Also ordered new cam follower and will do all 3 at the weekend

You forgot your photo of the lift.... :signLOL:

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11452 on: May 11, 2019, 05:40:55 am »

You forgot your photo of the lift.... :signLOL:

Boooooom

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #11453 on: May 11, 2019, 02:47:17 pm »
fitted new rear Bilstein b6 and axle bush. Bush housing replaced with new item as rust was taking hold

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #11454 on: May 12, 2019, 09:25:24 am »
Finally sorted my mates ABS coding issue since he swapped to a MK60ec1 abs, had some trouble coding it - But all sorted now and all errors are new gone at his GTI.

Just got home and now I awaits the guys who has done my seats will drop by and deliver it :drinking:

interior finally soon to be completed when new seats and doors are installed - Posted a few pictures to show how it looks like.. All buttons work at the mk7 steering wheel and also the assist button on the mk7 stalk works :)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 09:28:09 am by Christiank »
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11455 on: May 12, 2019, 06:03:18 pm »
Fitted a sunstrip.

Sheumais

« Reply #11456 on: May 13, 2019, 03:17:58 pm »
After three years' ownership, I finally solved the boot rattle this morning. It was the reversing light unit.

I read on here someone replaced the seal on a light unit to stop their rattle, so took it off to examine the possibilities and noticed it rattled. I couldn't see why it rattled or get into it to fix it, but it now seemed likely I'd found what has been driving me nuts. I found a replacement unit on ebay, it was delivered this morning and the rattle disappeared as soon as I put the new light unit in. Three years, miles of tape on anything that wasn't nailed down, new gas struts and lots and lots of swearing, but at last it's gone! No doubt another one will appear, but these small victories keep you going.

Offline andymac1981

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11457 on: May 15, 2019, 01:25:20 pm »
Changed the cam position sensor and reset the fault codes fingers crossed! also give the drivers door some TLC as it was slightly faded compared to the rest of the car. No time to fully detail it yet after getting it but hopefully some day soon.

Also fitted some interior strip lights in the footwells, rear wiper delete and started to hardwire in my dash cam but the darkness got the better of me. Me and the car are enjoying this good spell of weather we are having!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11458 on: May 17, 2019, 05:14:17 pm »
Yet another 4000 mile oil change.  They come around quick!

I feel like my car is missing something to hold the sump sensor wire in place? Pretty sure VW wouldn't leave the wire dangling like that!  Is there supposed to be a bracket or something on the subframe?

Very handy filter housing drain tool in case anyone hasn't seen it before  :happy2:  It normally has a tube attached, but it dribbles out like a 90 year old's piss stream with it attached, so I binned it.

Fitted a £10 S3 boost pipe from ebay about 18 months ago and to my surprise, it's still dry  :surprised:  I don't know what it is with those pipes.  Some leak, some don't.  Weird!  Might be worth a punt if anyone has a leak, 'down there'. 

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=pv8v924rftoek18ln7bpr1ned0&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #11459 on: May 17, 2019, 05:20:04 pm »
Yep... you are missing a very flimsy cable clip/bracket.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 05:22:00 pm by rich83 »