Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527614 times)

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
Replaced sunroof seal
« Reply #11550 on: August 10, 2019, 08:29:13 am »
It had got so bad, I was having trouble closing the roof sometimes. Because of the bulges in the rubber, it was also making wind noise. So time to replace. The deformation of the rubber is caused by the metal reinforcing inside going rusty.

Not as easy to actually fit the rubber as I thought it would be, and the Genuine part is about 2 inches longer than is needed, so you have to try and make a clean cut through rubber and metal. Turned out OK. I put some silicon grease around the join to help prevent water ingress at the join.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 09:23:36 am by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Stefanwalker14

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11551 on: August 10, 2019, 02:01:22 pm »
So today I decided to change my cam follower which never having done anything mechanical in my life was surprisingly a nice and easy job to do!

The old one didn’t look in to bad of condition but having no receipts for it every being done and with the gti having done 117k I thought it was worth doing. Old one taken out in pic.

But while the engine cover was off I decided to check a couple of things over, I noticed that the valve cover was missing a screw right in the centre which was concerning, does anyone know where I can get a replacement, plus I noticed a small patch of oil on the left hand side, anything to worry about?

Stay with me guys

Lastly the engine cover/air intake has cracked around the mounting points, will this cause anything significant or is it best to find a replacement?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #11552 on: August 10, 2019, 07:50:47 pm »
Two faults found and fixed today.
Rear stop light bulb failed on way home last night, took out the housing and also cleared out what appeared to be a swamp inside the area too - well worth doing I think to stop any rust forming. Took out the other side too which was equally as bad with years of dirt behind it.
Fixed my cruise control which has been intermittent for the last couple of months. Easy fix too, just prise open the indicator housing with a flat blade, remove the switch module from the connector, two little torx screw hold the circuit board in place and just contact cleaned it all out and a little polish up with some shop cloth. Gave the little spring contacts a bend up too while I was at it and reassembled. Works perfectly now and no need to take out the entire stalk

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11553 on: August 10, 2019, 08:22:30 pm »
So today I decided to change my cam follower which never having done anything mechanical in my life was surprisingly a nice and easy job to do!

The old one didn’t look in to bad of condition but having no receipts for it every being done and with the gti having done 117k I thought it was worth doing. Old one taken out in pic.

But while the engine cover was off I decided to check a couple of things over, I noticed that the valve cover was missing a screw right in the centre which was concerning, does anyone know where I can get a replacement, plus I noticed a small patch of oil on the left hand side, anything to worry about?

Lastly the engine cover/air intake has cracked around the mounting points, will this cause anything significant or is it best to find a replacement?

Cam follower looks like one from a mk5 that isn't tuned or often pushed hard...more of a cruiser. So, good.
The missing valve cover screw is concerning because those do nt fall out as they are retained onto the cover by a sort of grommet. Suggests to me it was removed at some point. But those can be purchased separate from the cover. Here's the part and its number; https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/valve-cover-bolt-priced-each/06b103831j/?gclid=CjwKCAjw1rnqBRAAEiwAr29IIwYpHuhTKtMTXEb5kJPaX55BRnKw09nD8vqbk8KxsSiq1Bx9v8_jShoCLOMQAvD_BwE

The cracks in the filter/cover...are on the bottom, correct? I believe, IIRC, that the bottom is the side for filtered air?  I would consider replacing it, many still have theirs and maybe for sale, because they have gone to intakes and have removed the cover. Try the for sale or wanted section.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:31:37 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Stefanwalker14

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11554 on: August 10, 2019, 08:36:21 pm »
@ROH ECHT

Yeah it’s standard and used by the other half during the week and I use it at the weekends so only occasionally driven hard for short periods!

Yeah I thought it was concerning that it was missing! But thanks for the part number. Any reason why there would be oil sitting on the top of it and in one of the screw holes on the left hand side of the cover?

And no it’s cracked along the top side of cover where the air filter sits behind, but yeah I will look into a replacement, or getting an CAI instead haha :grin:

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #11555 on: August 10, 2019, 09:08:45 pm »
Bought a mfsw with yellow stitching :happy2:  Control module next on the list.  Anyone bought from a HK seller :popcornsoda:

Offline absolute

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #11556 on: August 13, 2019, 10:18:26 am »
Bought a mfsw with yellow stitching :happy2:  Control module next on the list.  Anyone bought from a HK seller :popcornsoda:

The CH module that I bought has worked absolutely fine.

Edition 30 #1994 now sold. *cries*

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11557 on: August 15, 2019, 04:04:45 am »
@ROH ECHT

Yeah it’s standard and used by the other half during the week and I use it at the weekends so only occasionally driven hard for short periods!  :happy2:

Yeah I thought it was concerning that it was missing! But thanks for the part number. Any reason why there would be oil sitting on the top of it and in one of the screw holes on the left hand side of the cover? Could be the seals on the bolts/screws are hardened or they were not set into the rocker cover correctly when it was last removed and reinstalled. You might consider replacing the whole set of screws/seals.

And no it’s cracked along the top side of cover where the air filter sits behind, but yeah I will look into a replacement, or getting an CAI instead haha :grin:
:happy2:  :drinking:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:08:00 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Replaced sunroof seal
« Reply #11558 on: August 16, 2019, 05:45:21 pm »
It had got so bad, I was having trouble closing the roof sometimes. Because of the bulges in the rubber, it was also making wind noise. So time to replace. The deformation of the rubber is caused by the metal reinforcing inside going rusty.

Not as easy to actually fit the rubber as I thought it would be, and the Genuine part is about 2 inches longer than is needed, so you have to try and make a clean cut through rubber and metal. Turned out OK. I put some silicon grease around the join to help prevent water ingress at the join.

Good work.  I need to do mine as well.  How much was the seal?

I did the seal on my Corrado many moons ago and I seem to remember soaking it in boiling water for 5 mins helped with the fitment enormously.  I also used black silicon sealant on the join.  That's where the rust starts usually, so the cut end needs to be painted and sealed quickly  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11559 on: August 16, 2019, 06:02:19 pm »
Fitted this little gem in readiness for eco boost gauge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11560 on: August 16, 2019, 11:43:27 pm »
I received my new ED30 DSG shifter today...not going to install it right away because there is still life left in the original one. Just ordered it because ECS only had one and VW showed only three left in the US. I just refinished the gear select plate on the original GTI shifter, but that job got me thinking it may be time to look into getting the ED30 because I always wanted one for when it was time to refresh it. The ED30 wasn't available here, as you may know, but this shifter was also on the MK6 Golf R DSG. Anyway, just happy to get one before finding one were impossible.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 01:32:04 am by ROH ECHT »

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11561 on: August 17, 2019, 04:07:28 pm »
Wheels Refurbished. I'll be putting Gtechniq Ceramic coating on them asap.

Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Dave Y

« Reply #11562 on: August 17, 2019, 06:38:34 pm »
Looking good.
Expensive??
What calipers are they?

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #11563 on: August 18, 2019, 10:10:47 am »
Fuel filter done yesterday. Bit of a pig to do as the single screw that holds it had rusted, so had to drill it out. The fuel that came out of it was black  :sick: so looks like it was a worthwhile job at 152K

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #11564 on: August 18, 2019, 11:23:15 am »
Looking good.
Expensive??
What calipers are they?

I thought it was quietly reasonable, it was £340 for all 4 wheels, they are powder-coated. that included removing tires and rebalancing.

They are mk7 R/GTI PP/S3 calipers
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 11:27:35 am by neilw »
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2