Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527125 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11700 on: October 26, 2019, 11:41:36 am »
It isn't.  An advisory is just a polite notice that something not part of the test is busted and up to the customer if they fix it or not  :happy2:

The same windscreen chip has been an advisory for the past 3 MOTs but I still haven't sorted it  :grin:

A lot of less car savvy people do pay for advisories to be repaired though, so it's a bit of a money spinner also.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #11701 on: October 27, 2019, 11:53:39 am »
New MK7 centre caps, wheels need a scrub

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11702 on: October 27, 2019, 01:23:26 pm »
Weekend work consisted of the continuation of going over the WHOLE car using Dr.Colorchip stone chip remover. Brilliant stuff, but takes a while to complete asyou need to be patient. Also fixed sidelight fault, as one of the pins on the loom connector had bent, hence LED sidelight was out

Mine is gagging for some Dr Colour Chip action.  Do you just splodge it onto the chips, squeegee it in and then wipe off?  Seems too easy and too good to be true!
I couldn't find plain black on their site, only pearls and metallics.

What bulbs are in the fogs?

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #11703 on: October 30, 2019, 02:56:11 pm »
Fitted new battery, before the winter sets in. In the end I went with Pudding's suggestion of a Yuassa  :happy2:, although thanks to all those that replied to my post about what to go for. Car is on 41,000 miles (2005) and I think it was the original battery (Varta 72A and 320A ). Got it from TPS Poole, and they are still selling to Joe Public, although I gather some TPS locations aren't doing that now, although why they would turn down anyone's business is beyond me.....

Next job is to to fit a new mono block tap to a vanity unit in the bathroom - looks a bit awkward to get at so wont be as easy as the battery swapover - grrrr

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11704 on: October 30, 2019, 04:38:20 pm »
Weekend work consisted of the continuation of going over the WHOLE car using Dr.Colorchip stone chip remover. Brilliant stuff, but takes a while to complete asyou need to be patient. Also fixed sidelight fault, as one of the pins on the loom connector had bent, hence LED sidelight was out

Mine is gagging for some Dr Colour Chip action.  Do you just splodge it onto the chips, squeegee it in and then wipe off?  Seems too easy and too good to be true!
I couldn't find plain black on their site, only pearls and metallics.

What bulbs are in the fogs?

It’s a bit more than just that! I have the squeegee, but prefer to apply the paint with the nano brush and then wipe over the chip with ya thumb (protective gloves on) as this spreads the paint in to the chip crevice. Then I used lint free cloth with a ceramic coating applicator block, applied the SealAct, and gently rub over the chip. Trust me IT WORKS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11705 on: October 30, 2019, 04:40:23 pm »
Oh, and did you mean the sidelights??? If so, these are a a custom set of lights from the Car Mod Shop, but have RS4 projectors fitted, and the sidelights are a super bright white LED

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11706 on: October 30, 2019, 08:15:15 pm »
Oh, and did you mean the sidelights??? If so, these are a a custom set of lights from the Car Mod Shop, but have RS4 projectors fitted, and the sidelights are a super bright white LED
  The fogs in the front bumper, which bulbs have you fitted in  those?

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11707 on: October 30, 2019, 08:17:02 pm »
Fogs are super bright white LEDS

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #11708 on: November 01, 2019, 12:20:03 pm »

Are these the 'Dynamic' centre caps?

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #11709 on: November 01, 2019, 01:32:30 pm »

Are these the 'Dynamic' centre caps?
Na, just the basic mk7 ones, these cost a touch under a tenner

Offline TomF

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11710 on: November 07, 2019, 08:46:48 pm »
Not all strictly today, but:

Replaced intercooler seals on the turbo side a couple of weekends ago... only for the pipe to blow off a couple of miles down the road. Thankfully nothing lost, was my own fault as it wasn't properly seated. A smear of grease and it seated nicely, all fine now. On closer inspection it also looks like the outlet side of the intercooler needs doing now.

Last weekend managed to get a full decontamination wash in before the winter. Polished up a couple of the panels, laid down some Nanolex sealant all over, and got two coats of Angelwax H2GO rain repellent all over the glass (excluding the windscreen - wipers hate it on my car). Decent protection before the winter now.

Today, it was in for offside rear ABS sensor and wheel bearing as it was throwing up the ABS/ESP/TPMS light. Pickup ring was knackered. Had both rears done within the last 20k, but have to expect these things on a 130k car.

Wheel arch scrub down scheduled for Saturday, whilst I switch over to winter tyres.

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #11711 on: November 08, 2019, 12:54:58 pm »
Booked myself in for an early Christmas present - R-Tech Stage 1, Pre-CAT delete, injector clean and Walnut blast on my Eddy.   :party: Oh boy I really cant wait. The only downside? a bloody early start in the morning and I hate early mornings. Car has never been tuned before.

Done most of the prepping I think I need in the last year or so, Serviced, Oil pickup and pan clean, Helix organic clutch and new DMF, New plugs, Cam follower, Cam chain, DV, PCV, New Condenser, BCS Cat back... did I miss anything? I am keeping the standard intake and air filter for now because I like OEM but I may be convinced to get an ITG panel. Jury's out for now.

But not long to wait, 4 weeks !!! and counting  :party:
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:17:52 pm by Ripstop »
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #11712 on: November 08, 2019, 02:43:23 pm »
Changed the high level brake light. took around 20 mins all in.
The price of the High level brake light is £60.35 from the dealers. Part number is: 1K6 945 097F

Rich

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #11713 on: November 08, 2019, 04:14:45 pm »
New (Aliexpress) 70mm BBS style blank centre caps and stickers Genuine are way too expensive for me :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11714 on: November 08, 2019, 05:13:38 pm »
Booked myself in for an early Christmas present - R-Tech Stage 1, Pre-CAT delete, injector clean and Walnut blast on my Eddy.   :party: Oh boy I really cant wait. The only downside? a bloody early start in the morning and I hate early mornings. Car has never been tuned before.

Done most of the prepping I think I need in the last year or so, Serviced, Oil pickup and pan clean, New plugs, Cam follower, Cam chain, DV, PCV, New Condenser, BCS Cat back... did I miss anything? I am keeping the standard intake and air filter for now because I like OEM but I may be convinced to get an ITG panel. Jury's out for now.

But not long to wait, 4 weeks !!! and counting  :party:

Fuel filter, if it's really old.  You don't want any LPFP supply issues on the day.  Just a precaution and it doesn't hurt to change them annually anyway to prolong pump life.  Pump fuel is filthy!

You might like to try a Pipercross dry foam filter.  Cheap as chips, no risk of MAF contamination and I can detect improved breathing at higher rpms, but it's not a massive difference.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D