Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527329 times)

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11715 on: November 08, 2019, 07:05:58 pm »
Booked myself in for an early Christmas present - R-Tech Stage 1, Pre-CAT delete, injector clean and Walnut blast on my Eddy.   :party: Oh boy I really cant wait. The only downside? a bloody early start in the morning and I hate early mornings. Car has never been tuned before.

Done most of the prepping I think I need in the last year or so, Serviced, Oil pickup and pan clean, New plugs, Cam follower, Cam chain, DV, PCV, New Condenser, BCS Cat back... did I miss anything? I am keeping the standard intake and air filter for now because I like OEM but I may be convinced to get an ITG panel. Jury's out for now.

But not long to wait, 4 weeks !!! and counting  :party:

I stayed in the Premier Inn about 2 miles away for £30, and drove down the evening before.

Mines got the standard airbox with APR filter and BCS TB with sports cat so pretty similar and it made it 321hp
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:10:37 pm by neilw »
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #11716 on: November 08, 2019, 11:26:24 pm »
Fuel filter, if it's really old.  You don't want any LPFP supply issues on the day.  Just a precaution and it doesn't hurt to change them annually anyway to prolong pump life.  Pump fuel is filthy!

Cheers Pudding... need to check that before I go. I know its got the uprated version so its been changed at some point but no harm in doing it again.

I stayed in the Premier Inn about 2 miles away for £30, and drove down the evening before.

Mines got the standard airbox with APR filter and BCS TB with sports cat so pretty similar and it made it 321hp

@neilw  Now that's a good idea and I can dream of 320  :smiley: Its a 2 hour drive for me but they want me at 8:00am so a good call and will avoid any motorway nightmares.
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
« Reply #11717 on: November 09, 2019, 11:25:00 am »
Fuel filter, if it's really old.  You don't want any LPFP supply issues on the day.  Just a precaution and it doesn't hurt to change them annually anyway to prolong pump life.  Pump fuel is filthy!

Cheers Pudding... need to check that before I go. I know its got the uprated version so its been changed at some point but no harm in doing it again.

@neilw  Now that's a good idea and I can dream of 320  :smiley: Its a 2 hour drive for me but they want me at 8:00am so a good call and will avoid any motorway nightmares.

Yeh I dropped the car in at 8 and walked back to the Premier inn (about 40-45mins) and got a mack'ds breakfast and chilled as check out wasn't until 12, then walked back to r-tech.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11718 on: November 09, 2019, 11:31:31 am »
Booked myself in for an early Christmas present - R-Tech Stage 1, Pre-CAT delete, injector clean and Walnut blast on my Eddy.   :party: Oh boy I really cant wait. The only downside? a bloody early start in the morning and I hate early mornings. Car has never been tuned before.

Done most of the prepping I think I need in the last year or so, Serviced, Oil pickup and pan clean, New plugs, Cam follower, Cam chain, DV, PCV, New Condenser, BCS Cat back... did I miss anything? I am keeping the standard intake and air filter for now because I like OEM but I may be convinced to get an ITG panel. Jury's out for now.

But not long to wait, 4 weeks !!! and counting  :party:

That's what mine also made but with the factory cat back. 320ish hp seems to be the ceiling for the standard airbox but for the sake of another 15-20hp, I wasn't prepared to put up with the noises and fitment issues of aftermarket intakes!

It's funny really, a certain well known parts supplier refused to map mine to Revo 2+ unless it had an intake on it.  Good to see R-Tech will oblige customers with standard hardware.  That's when I fitted the revo intake, got it mapped, then took it off.  Bugger all difference in terms of power, going by my bum dyno  :grin:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 11:34:40 am by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline D6VCL

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11719 on: November 13, 2019, 12:00:29 am »
Fitted this little gem in readiness for eco boost gauge

Hi where did you get the pod from? Thanks
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #11720 on: November 13, 2019, 07:10:20 pm »
A guy asked me to look at his car said he had a drumming  noise I took the Tom Tom off the windscreen drumming gone[don't work with Garmin]

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #11721 on: November 17, 2019, 04:04:22 pm »
Just when you think its safe to get a stage 1 tune.... you get gremlins. Cleaned the car today... looks lovely  :happy2: took it for a spin to dry off the brakes, thought I would give it some welly and .... bloody misfire and MIL starts flashing. Knowing I have just had it serviced and put new plugs in I am already suspicious of a coil pack. Get VCDS out and start logging and low and behold I think I have a classic coil pack gone bad. Of course it could be an injector but the MIL clears if you drive it like a granny. Time for money to be spent... again  :grin: :grin: Spot the pretty obvious misfire counter under load but didn't have time to swap them around and run the test again. Thank god for VCDS.

Here is the evidence with a code of P300 and P301. What do you reckon coil pack or injector?

Update: Actually neither but the new red coil packs look great. Just waiting to get some new Iridiums in the post then we will have fixed the problem. God knows where the ceramic bits went but I hope it didn't do too much damage down the exhaust path.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 01:36:32 pm by Ripstop »
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11722 on: December 07, 2019, 08:55:28 pm »
Hmmmm, running a tad lean looking at that plug.  I hope the plug shrapnel didn't chip your turbo's turbine wheel on the way out.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11723 on: December 07, 2019, 09:00:25 pm »
Black Friday bits and pieces.  Fitted the VIS internals and DV+ today.  Hopefully the engine mount inserts tomorrow if the weather's dry.  I've had a DV+ before but the orange rubber bit detached itself from the brass piston.  Hopefully this one will last a bit longer!

The bonnet latch is in the pic because the bloody thing kept seizing up, meaning I couldn't open the bonnet without moving the hook over with a screwdriver.  As you can see in the pic, the hinge gets caked in rust and crap over the years.  I soaked it in petrol for a couple of hours, scrubbed it and oiled it etc and now it's spot on.  Saved me having to buy a new one!

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11724 on: December 14, 2019, 02:50:28 pm »
Two Michelin pilot sport 4 tyres on the front after discovering the inner edges of both front were worn down to the cord, yikes. There is far less road noise and the grip is fantastic. But comparing brand new to old isn't a fair comparison.

I had the alignment done on a Hunter a few months back so I'm a bit surprised the tyres looked so bad. Booked it in for Tuesday to have another alignment as I don't want to burn through these new tyres. I did get over 20k out of the pilot sport 3 so can't moan too much.

New thermostat fitted as temp gauge was taking ages to get up to 90. New coolant and silcone coolant hoses fitted at the same time. I didn't have any coolant leaks but I thought whilst the coolant was dropped it would be a good time to fit the hoses I must have had for a year. New hose clamps needed as the new hoses are thicker than the OE ones.

VIS internals fitted last month with a view to getting it mapped in 2020.

Offline burtz

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11725 on: December 17, 2019, 10:57:02 am »
I bought a GTI recently but looks like there is something missing from the boot on the left hand side. Anyone know what it is? The right hand side has a holder/pocket. Is that meant to be empty too?

Thanks

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #11726 on: December 17, 2019, 10:58:53 am »
the pocket on o/s is just storage only a bag hook n.s

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #11727 on: December 17, 2019, 10:59:17 am »
I bought a GTI recently but looks like there is something missing from the boot on the left hand side. Anyone know what it is? The right hand side has a holder/pocket. Is that meant to be empty too?

Thanks

On the left hand side of mine I have a warning triangle but it looks like it could also potentially fit a first aid kit? I think the pocket on the right is just useful storage space.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11728 on: December 17, 2019, 11:33:23 am »

Thanks

Mine has got some rubber straps as if they should hold something, maybe a first aid kit.

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #11729 on: December 17, 2019, 02:56:36 pm »

Thanks

Mine has got some rubber straps as if they should hold something, maybe a first aid kit.

Pretty sure its one of those warning triangles in a plastic case - 30cm x 4cm x 2cm sort of size, behind the rubber straps. Then a first aid kit in the mesh strap part, if I'm not mis-remembering.

I've stuck one of the warning triangle cases there and then one of the AA spare bulb/fuse kits on top of it in the mesh strap. All fits nicely and the bulbs especially come in handy from time to time to get out of a pinch.
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"