Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527608 times)

Offline OldGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11835 on: April 15, 2020, 10:06:22 am »

3) I used a heat gun on low to warm both ends of the new tubing, one end at a time of course, so they would slide on easier. I know this may sound dangerous but going to say it anyway, when warming one end prior to pushing it into place...place your thumb near the end of the tubing so to know you are not overheating the tubing. If you can stand the heat on your thumb, you are not overheating it. When the tubing is warm, it will slide on much easier. A Quantum tech gave me this tip and I am happy he did because when checking the tightness prior to heating, I could see how one may end up breaking one of the ports the tube connects to.

DW - left.....Quantum - right

Great little how too guild there. Just a tip but I have found that sometimes with rubber and plastic you can get enough heat into things to soften them with a normal hairdryer which is a little safer than a heat gun if you are not used to using one.

Offline kevster996

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #11836 on: April 15, 2020, 09:24:45 pm »
fixing the rear door handle as the blank fell out, rear wiper delete and took old knackered window tint off back window as was so bad I couldnt see out properly. Oven cleaner removes the old glue nicely! 
Golf 5 2005, 2.0 TDI 4motion, remapped to 175bhp, lowered on eibach springs, GTI front end, GTI half leather interior

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11837 on: April 15, 2020, 09:49:26 pm »

3) I used a heat gun on low to warm both ends of the new tubing, one end at a time of course, so they would slide on easier. I know this may sound dangerous but going to say it anyway, when warming one end prior to pushing it into place...place your thumb near the end of the tubing so to know you are not overheating the tubing. If you can stand the heat on your thumb, you are not overheating it. When the tubing is warm, it will slide on much easier. A Quantum tech gave me this tip and I am happy he did because when checking the tightness prior to heating, I could see how one may end up breaking one of the ports the tube connects to.

DW - left.....Quantum - right

Great little how too guild there. Just a tip but I have found that sometimes with rubber and plastic you can get enough heat into things to soften them with a normal hairdryer which is a little safer than a heat gun if you are not used to using one.
I agree...would be safer. My wife nor I have one and why I asked the Quantum guy about the heat gun. But yes, a hair dryer would be perfect to warm the tubing.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline kevster996

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11838 on: April 22, 2020, 04:37:16 pm »
fitted MSFW steering wheel, cruise control stalk (has to run wire from the control unit), new steering wheel control module and replaced cracked fog light. Just need to code in the CC now and reset power steering...
Golf 5 2005, 2.0 TDI 4motion, remapped to 175bhp, lowered on eibach springs, GTI front end, GTI half leather interior

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #11839 on: April 22, 2020, 04:48:33 pm »
fitted MSFW steering wheel, cruise control stalk (has to run wire from the control unit), new steering wheel control module and replaced cracked fog light. Just need to code in the CC now and reset power steering...
Ive just today finished installing a mfsw (pirelli)  Not sure why but the G85 adaption took 3 attempts but all good now.

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #11840 on: April 22, 2020, 08:05:54 pm »
Ive just today finished installing a mfsw (pirelli)  Not sure why but the G85 adaption took 3 attempts but all good now.

I seem to recall mine taking around 3 attempts as well.

Offline kevster996

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11841 on: April 23, 2020, 12:11:38 pm »

I seem to recall mine taking around 3 attempts as well.

Thx guys - good to know. Im going to see a guy with VCDS tomorrow so hope to get it all sorted... :smiley:

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11842 on: April 25, 2020, 02:59:07 pm »
What does the MFSW give you?

If you have an aftermarket android auto stereo will it control that?

Offline J66hhr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #11843 on: May 03, 2020, 04:03:03 pm »
Removed as much carbon as i could. wasnt expecting perfection but much better then before also wasnt as bad as i expected when i first looked at it. Havnt had a chance to start it yet as i broke a pcv hose in the process waiting for delivery

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11844 on: May 04, 2020, 09:42:25 am »
Removed as much carbon as i could. wasnt expecting perfection but much better then before also wasnt as bad as i expected when i first looked at it. Havnt had a chance to start it yet as i broke a pcv hose in the process waiting for delivery[img width=786 height=442]

I bought a silcone version of that pcv hose from ECS. The plastic ones go really brittle over time and snapping them is a pain.

Offline J66hhr

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #11845 on: May 04, 2020, 05:32:46 pm »
Removed as much carbon as i could. wasnt expecting perfection but much better then before also wasnt as bad as i expected when i first looked at it. Havnt had a chance to start it yet as i broke a pcv hose in the process waiting for delivery[img width=786 height=442]

I bought a silcone version of that pcv hose from ECS. The plastic ones go really brittle over time and snapping them is a pain.
Good choice i went on ebay, picked one with the fastest delivery

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #11846 on: June 05, 2020, 12:02:07 pm »
Ordered a genuine VCDS cable hex-v2. From Gendan. https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23.html

I've been using OBDeleven which is super handy for simple code reads on the phone, but I want to do some logging as had the dreaded P0299 turbo underboost code. While OBDeleven does all the channels etc, it's difficult to convert to graphs etc. Car still seems to have good power, whether it's just a boost leak or diverter valve I don't know as yet.
Hopefully not a turbo!

I hadn't checked the codes since about Christmas - just been out and checked, no p0299, yay! 2x IMRC codes instead - boo! As above car seems to run well, start fine etc.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 03:09:10 pm by GVK »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11847 on: June 06, 2020, 02:39:02 pm »
You normally know when the turbo's gone as you get a screeching noise at idle from the blades rubbing the housing, or the blades are chipped, which you can only really check with a borescope.

So long as the actuals and requesteds match within a reasonable time frame, it's probably fine.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #11848 on: June 06, 2020, 05:10:11 pm »
Hi Kev, no noise from turbo as yet (Car's done 77k) and as above car is still running well, good power, when I checked the codes yesterday no p0299, wonder if the DV had got condensation in the winter or something?

Anyhow as above it had 2 Inlet manifold runner control codes and it appears to have the runners stuck open (says 99%) on block 143 (I read the thread on here with you and muff discussing it) but I cleared the codes and have done a couple of journeys of about 10 miles each. VCDS cable arrived today (Good service Gendan!) checked codes when I've set up VCDS and none stored. Will keep an eye on it.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11849 on: June 06, 2020, 06:10:39 pm »
Made a vid after replacing the N80. I didn't have any codes for it, but it does have 154k miles on it. I found it leaked and its resistance is 17.8 ohm but should be 22 ohm to 30 ohm. Giving it some time right now to see what its LTFT "partial/off idle" will be. The trims weren't out of spec at 7 to 8%, but curious to see if the new N80 makes a difference there.

K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1