Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527256 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11850 on: June 06, 2020, 08:39:48 pm »
This week: went to AKS for a service. Aircon was nonfunctioning. G65 sensor needed replacing and regassed the aircon.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #11851 on: June 06, 2020, 09:19:10 pm »
This week: went to AKS for a service. Aircon was nonfunctioning. G65 sensor needed replacing and regassed the aircon.

Are aks taking bookings now? I did shoot them a email Friday but didn’t here back yet, need cambelt/water pump doing.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11852 on: June 07, 2020, 06:11:28 am »
Are aks taking bookings now? I did shoot them a email Friday but didn’t here back yet, need cambelt/water pump doing.
I don’t know if they’re taking new bookings. I’ve always booked six months in advance for an oil service and whatever else needs doing. So I suspect they’re working through the back log of people who had to be cancelled because of lockdown. It’s worth ringing them.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #11853 on: June 09, 2020, 04:36:24 pm »
Been putting off getting this sorted but today was the day I got on with it and fitted my passenger door lock. As some of you will know on a mk5 Golf you don't work on the inside of the door with the inner door card off , you have to take the door skin off the car!

Door by GVKmotorsport, on Flickr

All well and good but my door was deadlocked shut and the motor was just bouncing between unlocking and locking, must have taken about hour and a half of banging the door, pressing the unlock button and pulling the inner handle to try and pop it open. Eventually I was going to give up and tried it one last time and it popped open... result!

Once the door was open and the door skin off you have quite a bit of room to work on the latch.  Couple of tips that were useful I got from Humble mechanic's vid on You tube was to turn the TX20 on the door handle 12 times to release the door lock/blank and to set the tension of the handle by putting the spring on the lever inside.

All sorted.

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #11854 on: June 09, 2020, 06:08:11 pm »
Went to my mechanic today to find out what the knocking was in the rear drivers side wheel eventually found out it was the ball joint so was advised to to them both at the back end. While there I had my own oil and oil filter so he basically let me change them both myself when I was there, cause I know him quite well now. Anyway going back in again 2 days later for ball joints and possibly new rear bushes as well
Edition 30 num 859

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11855 on: June 09, 2020, 06:26:19 pm »
Changed subframe bolts today, it didn’t fix my front end knock  :sad1: , was worth a go though as would of been a cheap fix, just hope it’s not the steering rack  :sick:

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #11856 on: June 10, 2020, 07:26:23 am »
@Jb55 I've had a knock for about 3 years, but I'm convinced it's not my steering rack, as a harsh left/right repeatedly on the wheel while stationary with the engine running makes no unwanted sounds (seen a vid where the steering rack issue makes a knocking sound when doing this).

Mine does it when doing a 3 point turn... once normally when coming out of the turn and straightening up. Also sometime when turning into a parking spot and straightening up, just a single very audible "knock", very strange.

I have the subframe bush/bolt kit yet to fit, but I'm not sure its that. I fitted Febi front suspension top mounts around 4 years ago and suspect they are the culprit... I thought Febi/Bilstein was a quality make, but am now not convinced. The anti rollbar drop links failed and had major play after around a year (on new Genuine OEM Sachs shocks and springs).

OEM replacement parts all the way for me now.

Stu
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11857 on: June 10, 2020, 11:02:02 am »
@Stupots  yeh I don’t think it’s the rack I don’t get any knocking doing the side to side on the steering wheel test.

It only knocks on slow hard turns so parking and when turning into my driveway but it is several clunks/knocks sounds like it’s from both sides but not 100% on that.

when I done the sub frame bolts I had a good look at everything and nothing seemed loose or spit and everything was clean no grease coming from anywhere but I’m no mechanic and don’t 100% know what I’m looking at lol.

It just annoys the hell out of me every time I hear the knock, the car has been lowered on h&r springs with the standard shocks and I hear that a few people get some knocking when lowering the cars.

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #11858 on: June 10, 2020, 11:25:21 am »
Several clunks/knocks.. maybe outer CV joints? Hard to tell unless you can attribute a faster knocking to a faster speed.
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline burtz

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #11859 on: June 10, 2020, 11:58:21 am »
Looking for some quick advice...

I currently have standard 18" wheels, lowered about 40mm. Im looking to change these for some CH003 but they're slightly wider. Theyre 8J and 42ET... will these fit okay?

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #11860 on: June 17, 2020, 01:54:58 pm »
Passed the MOT again with no advisories, not bad for 148k  :driver:

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11861 on: June 17, 2020, 01:59:04 pm »
Had the (3rd) cambelt done week before last (only on 44k!) and was advised rocker cover gasket and PCV were leaking so decided to replace those. PCV was dated 2007 so has done well!

Also fitted a set of S2T paddles today...

Really easy to replace and feel great. Very happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11862 on: June 19, 2020, 05:03:29 pm »
@Jb55 I've had a knock for about 3 years, but I'm convinced it's not my steering rack, as a harsh left/right repeatedly on the wheel while stationary with the engine running makes no unwanted sounds (seen a vid where the steering rack issue makes a knocking sound when doing this).

Mine does it when doing a 3 point turn... once normally when coming out of the turn and straightening up. Also sometime when turning into a parking spot and straightening up, just a single very audible "knock", very strange.

I have the subframe bush/bolt kit yet to fit, but I'm not sure its that. I fitted Febi front suspension top mounts around 4 years ago and suspect they are the culprit... I thought Febi/Bilstein was a quality make, but am now not convinced. The anti rollbar drop links failed and had major play after around a year (on new Genuine OEM Sachs shocks and springs).

OEM replacement parts all the way for me now.

Stu

Sounds very much like subframe movement to me.

Interestingly, mine also made some nasty clunking, clicking noises recently when parking up.  Given I already have the Tyrolsport deadset fitted, I was convinced it was the rack (Gen 2 in mine) at 144K miles old.  Nope, it was the top mounts!  Seems the TTRS mounts I fitted 3 years ago didn't last long at all.

Stuck some new ones on and the steering is silent and epic again  :smiley:

The moral of the story there is, check the simple stuff before assuming it's the big expensive parts  :grin:

Gen 3 racks (all you can get now) for general interest are £1000+VAT from VW, plus £122 for the Gen 3 wiring harness.....in case anyone has rack woes.

The 3 year old TTRS top mounts (approx 35K miles use) felt and looked fine off the car, but I without the weight of the car on them, it's hard to diagnose.   With uprated suspension, they just don't last at all.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11863 on: June 19, 2020, 05:27:49 pm »
Got busy with the rattle cans sorting out my mega, mega, mega stone chipped to hell front bumper. 

Just a quick rub down and blast over with VW paint (that stuff goes on REALLY well, I'm impressed with it).  Not a concourse winning job but it's hell of a lot better than it was!  Also sanded back the rotten tailpipes and blasted em' with satin black.

I also finally sorted out my horrific wing, bumper and headlight gaps.  A certain popular tuner and supplier failed to put the bumper iron back to it's correct position following some work, and not only that, they left the 8 x bumper iron bolts barely any more than hand tight instead of the required 50-60lbft.  This caused the bumper to be at full droop, which pulls the the headlights down approx 5mm below the wing line. 

It's important to get the the headlights flush like this, otherwise the gaps look hideous......

....and also causes excessive pressure from the bumper onto the wing, which caused this rust  :doh:

As you can see from the witness marks on the bumper iron, there is plenty of height adjustment in the front stack, and also plenty of adjustment in the wings and headlights to get everything lined up properly.  Honestly, I'm done with so called professionals.  If you want a job doing right.....do it yourself!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11864 on: June 21, 2020, 01:51:23 am »
Looking for some quick advice...

I currently have standard 18" wheels, lowered about 40mm. Im looking to change these for some CH003 but they're slightly wider. Theyre 8J and 42ET... will these fit okay?
I see it's been a while, but yes, they'll fit. Mine are 18x8 45et and no rubbing with 225/40-18s;

K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1