Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527376 times)

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11865 on: June 21, 2020, 02:02:53 am »
Honestly, I'm done with so called professionals.  If you want a job doing right.....do it yourself!
I feel exactly the same way. What I do not do myself, I am at least allowed in the local VW shop where they do work on mine. I've even been allowed, when I've asked, to do work in the shop myself.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #11866 on: June 26, 2020, 10:08:19 pm »
Just fitted the underseat drawers using the helpful how to on here.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11867 on: June 27, 2020, 03:32:18 am »
Just fitted the underseat drawers using the helpful how to on here.
Always wanted to get around to getting one. Now may be a good time. Was going to use this set of instructions...does it look complete? http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f3e01bf511d4da3315c66902d6.r6.cf1.rackcdn.com/MKV_under_seat_storage_tray_install.pdf
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #11868 on: June 27, 2020, 09:20:06 pm »
Yes that's pretty much it  :happy2:

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #11869 on: June 30, 2020, 07:47:27 pm »
I found out that my mids in my recently installed 3 way components are both out of phase.  Thanks to a £6 polarity tester from Amazon. 

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11870 on: June 30, 2020, 10:34:45 pm »
I did some digging and finally found the file name for the original high output K04 file that's for the 145 bar fprv that I loaded in 2011...when switching back from driver motorsport K04+ to what I thought was the GIAC high output K04 file loaded in 2011. But the standard GIAC K04 file was loaded instead. I knew something was wrong but was always told it is the correct file. This is what was actually loaded showing the RS4 fprv as a suggestion; [S3 K04 turbo - Big Piston HPFP - S3 injectors - MANDATORY FMIC upgrade to at least S3 specs- Turbo back exhaust -Use a RS4 Safety Valve if high pressure fuel pressure is too low **]. They suggest upgrading the fprv on any tuned MK5 so when the throttle is let off of from full throttle, the rail pressure rises and is released through the FPRV. This can cause a brief drop in rail pressure and you may feel a stumble if you are back on throttle at the same time. So the higher rated FPRV helps hold rail pressure longer. I have it scheduled for loading tomorrow at Techtonics Tuning.

File name; 1K0115H_0040_K0401A_SPRKVF_S3INJ_FMIC_TBE_HPFP_140BARREG_1K0907115H .26VGCB

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:27:32 pm by ROH ECHT »

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11871 on: July 02, 2020, 05:29:24 pm »
I did some digging and finally found the file name for the original high output K04 file that's for the 145 bar fprv that I loaded in 2011...when switching back from driver motorsport K04+ to what I thought was the GIAC high output K04 file loaded in 2011. But the standard GIAC K04 file was loaded instead. I knew something was wrong but was always told it is the correct file. This is what was actually loaded showing the RS4 fprv as a suggestion; [S3 K04 turbo - Big Piston HPFP - S3 injectors - MANDATORY FMIC upgrade to at least S3 specs- Turbo back exhaust -Use a RS4 Safety Valve if high pressure fuel pressure is too low **]. They suggest upgrading the fprv on any tuned MK5 so when the throttle is let off of from full throttle, the rail pressure rises and is released through the FPRV. This can cause a brief drop in rail pressure and you may feel a stumble if you are back on throttle at the same time. So the higher rated FPRV helps hold rail pressure longer. I have it scheduled for loading tomorrow at Techtonics Tuning.

File name; 1K0115H_0040_K0401A_SPRKVF_S3INJ_FMIC_TBE_HPFP_140BARREG_1K0907115H .26VGCB
Techtonics loaded the long lost file yesterday and all is well again.  :drinking:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11872 on: July 03, 2020, 07:10:28 pm »
New clutch time.  Second Helix.  First one was OK but was the older kit based on the steel Sachs Sporting pressure plate.  It was only replaced due to DMF failure but whilst in there it's better to replace everything imo. 

The newer Helix is their own billet pressure plate, and no, it's not lighter than the steel one, for those looking to reduce a bit of rotational mass  :grin:

I can't feel any difference in pedal weight and bite feel comparing old to new.

I would also shim the gearbox input shaft whilst you're there.  Darkside Developments sell the necessary parts.  You may not feel any end float at the plastic cap end of the gearbox, but there certainly was a fair bit of play on mine at the opposite end pulling the shaft.

Will also be switching to Redline ShockProof Lightweight 75W-90 gear oil to help reduce some chattering noise (box is 145K old) as it's well known to help with noises and sluggish shifts with old VW gearboxes.  Yes the OEM oil is the best when the gearbox is very low mileage, but with a lot of miles on it, it needs a better oil.

Updated metal crank seal housing was also fitted 'whilst in there', which features a much improved seal.  It's also an improved design in as much as it doesn't need the expensive £33 VW sealant to fit it. The factory fitted seal is in a plastic housing which is known to leak, which indeed mine was when the gearbox was taken off. The seal itself had also become 'plastic' over time and wasn't sealing properly.

Anyone doing a clutch, I recommend you fit the latest seal.  It's not cheap at £100 but it's cheaper than replacing an expensive clutch because of oil contamination. 

Also fitted SuperPro camber ball joints and did a full alignment.  Just like their console bushes, the claimed alignment adjustment is nowhere near realised in practice, but we managed to extract -1.2 degrees, which is 0.7 degrees more than stock, and it does make a decent difference.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 08:32:48 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Cosmos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • 376bhp 423lbs torque
  • My Ride: Golf Gti Edition 30
« Reply #11873 on: July 04, 2020, 07:11:57 pm »
Changed the cam follower on my ed30 today.Done 6k miles on stage 2+ from R-tech and follower was put in at the same time.

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #11874 on: July 04, 2020, 11:06:38 pm »
Changed all the door handles...on a 5 door...what fun. Why did VW decide plastic gluing the inner handle on the driver's side was a good idea? barstewardss. Once I'd figured out where the clips were etc it wasn't too bad. Interior starting to look a bit newer. Next job sorting the stereo and getting a new surround for the centre vents since they're also scratched to buggery.

If anyone knows the part number for the petrol filler cap switch and the plastic that sits around it that'd be awesome :) Those are well and truly scratched to crap on mine.

Oh yeah, wishing I'd chosen to get a remap before I did the suspension now  :grin: Sick of everything under the sun beating me, that said it's still standard. Wouldn't be surprised if my mum's new 1.2 turbo Corsa is quicker  :grin:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 11:08:58 pm by probedb »

Offline jaffa

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 44
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90080.0.html
« Reply #11875 on: July 05, 2020, 10:56:18 am »
Went to drive it for the first time since lockdown started only to be greeted by a completely flat battery

Bought a new battery charger since mine broke

Finally drove it and filled it up with some v power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kharma45

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11876 on: July 06, 2020, 12:51:34 pm »
I had replaced the PCV a while ago, and had the crank ventilation pressure tested to see if I can figure out what this noise is but to no avail. Tried this morning the oil cap test, and very hard to remove so pretty sure it's not caused by that.

Car doesn't feel down on power, and it's been doing it a year. Going to take it back to a mechanic to see if they can work it out. Annoying at this stage more than worrying since nothing has went bang at this stage.

Can't tell if I have embedded the video properly or not

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #11877 on: July 06, 2020, 09:09:48 pm »
@kharma45  may want to start your own thread as opposed to within this one....
do you have a dash mounted boost guage ? some can whistle
std or modified map ? air intake std or aftermarket logging the actual psi will tell you if you have an actual boost leak
or a boost leak in some of the piping elsewhere
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Mekaniko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #11878 on: July 09, 2020, 01:08:58 pm »
Changed the cam follower on my ed30 today.Done 6k miles on stage 2+ from R-tech and follower was put in at the same time.

Still great, right?

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11879 on: July 09, 2020, 08:09:09 pm »

It can obviously go longer between changes if your driving remains as it were through the first 6k miles. Driving style has an effect on it as well as does the HPFP spring used. Obviously the tuning specifications for rail pressure will also affect the CF wear. The more you go to or near full throttle, the more wear on the follower occurs because of increased rail pressure requirements. I would suggest going 10k miles next time, then 12k or 15k afterwards...depending on when you see the black DLC (diamond like coating) beginning to wear from the contact-to-cam surface.