Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527631 times)

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11880 on: July 09, 2020, 08:19:24 pm »
I had replaced the PCV a while ago, and had the crank ventilation pressure tested to see if I can figure out what this noise is but to no avail. Tried this morning the oil cap test, and very hard to remove so pretty sure it's not caused by that.

Car doesn't feel down on power, and it's been doing it a year. Going to take it back to a mechanic to see if they can work it out. Annoying at this stage more than worrying since nothing has went bang at this stage.

Can't tell if I have embedded the video properly or not

I agree with starting your own thread. Most times the source of a whistle varies from one to another. Because they are almost always due to a leak somewhere within the charge system. Are you able to smoke or pressure test the system? If not comfortable with smoke...pressurize it at the turbo inlet with a shop-vac in its blow configuration (sealing the vac nozzle of course) and begin spraying all turbo to intake manifold connections with a soap and water solution. Only other option is to do a visual only inspection or take it to someone.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline kharma45

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11881 on: July 10, 2020, 12:05:04 pm »
@kharma45  may want to start your own thread as opposed to within this one....
do you have a dash mounted boost guage ? some can whistle
std or modified map ? air intake std or aftermarket logging the actual psi will tell you if you have an actual boost leak
or a boost leak in some of the piping elsewhere

Will do on the thread.

I had replaced the PCV a while ago, and had the crank ventilation pressure tested to see if I can figure out what this noise is but to no avail. Tried this morning the oil cap test, and very hard to remove so pretty sure it's not caused by that.

Car doesn't feel down on power, and it's been doing it a year. Going to take it back to a mechanic to see if they can work it out. Annoying at this stage more than worrying since nothing has went bang at this stage.

Can't tell if I have embedded the video properly or not

I agree with starting your own thread. Most times the source of a whistle varies from one to another. Because they are almost always due to a leak somewhere within the charge system. Are you able to smoke or pressure test the system? If not comfortable with smoke...pressurize it at the turbo inlet with a shop-vac in its blow configuration (sealing the vac nozzle of course) and begin spraying all turbo to intake manifold connections with a soap and water solution. Only other option is to do a visual only inspection or take it to someone.

Yeah I'll move it to a seperate thread. Yes it's been smoke tested, about 6 months ago now, and no leaks found.

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11882 on: July 10, 2020, 01:21:45 pm »
Had my rusty wings replaced with two second hand rust free wings today.  Colour match is perfect and they look great! Very happy.

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
« Reply #11883 on: July 11, 2020, 02:06:29 am »
Was driving through Winsford this week and saw a very nice Mk5. It looked like it was nardo grey with a neon green grill surround. Is the owner on here?

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
« Reply #11884 on: July 11, 2020, 09:11:23 pm »
Tried a refurb of my rotting boot badge and also a refresh of the rear GTI badge. Have had the wheels in Audi Titanium Grey but really like the finish of Plastidip, so got what I thought was the nearest match to Titanium Grey, which looked to be anthracite grey from the pics and vids I'd watched online.

Unfortunately they are worlds apart in reality (anthracite is much darker!). I'm pleased with how the GTI badge came out (although the 'G' was fiddly), but the boot badge now looks like a huge blackhead on my boot lol. Will go with plan B now which is fill in parts of the badge with reflex silver so the VW logo is more prominent. Will then decide if I'll be spraying the wheels in this colour also.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 09:14:30 pm by JTI »

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11885 on: July 12, 2020, 07:08:05 pm »
Had the new (salvaged) wings fitted yesterday, so gave the whole car a wash and wax today...

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 07:15:36 pm by TheBALDpuma »

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #11886 on: July 21, 2020, 04:44:17 pm »
Another year, another service (minor) and MOT (technically I didn’t need it as I had the extension but it’s always good to know I’m in a safe car).

Advisory on front brake discs showing signs of pitting and scoring (on inside face only though). Any ideas why it’s only on the inside?  Is it I just need to use them a bit harder!?! Although I’ve only done 1,300 miles in the last year. Corona virus didn’t help with that. No excuse now - I better just get out and use it more now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11887 on: July 21, 2020, 05:18:46 pm »
fitted a new rear caliper as the other one was stuck. The pads no zero friction material left on them.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #11888 on: July 24, 2020, 05:40:05 am »
I have been helping my friend with the sale of his 2007. He got it on the auction site and bids went to $13k usd. He set a reserve on it for $16k usd and was prepared to lower the reserve if bidding got close, but it only got to $13k usd. Today he sold it to an early bidder that didn't bid at all on the last day, after saying in a comment that he would be back on the final day. The buyer said he didn't have internet access on the final day when he contacted my friend. Anyhow, the buyer bought it for $15.5k today. A very nice price for my friends 2007 with just 37k miles on it. It not only has 37k miles on it, but he just did the DSG service and it has had a LSD installed. I was going to buy it, and swap over all my K04 bits, if he didn't sell it on the auction...but I'm really happy for him getting what he got for such a nice low mileage MK5.

To see more info, pics and a driving vid, go here: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-volkswagen-golf-2/
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11889 on: July 24, 2020, 08:19:14 pm »
Removed this tired old crap and fitted replacements.  God knows what the previous owner drove over but the driver's side floorpan cover was properly beaten up in places.  Stock exhaust finally let go after 13 years and 145K.  Pretty good lifespan for a mild steel + stainless (back box) system.

Picked up a standard cat back from ebay in excellent condition.  Wire wheeled off the light surface rust and painted it in high temp silver.  Only a few cat backs on ebay at the time of searching, so they are getting scarce now.  My Ed30 is probably only worth about £4K now, so there's no way I'm sinking £1200 in BCS turbo backs into this car  :grin:  £80 ebay to keep it going  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #11890 on: July 25, 2020, 04:54:06 pm »
Picked up the ED30 from the bodyshop this morning.  Had brand new genuine front wings painted and fitted, front doors blended in as well as rust on rear passenger arch sorted.

Rich

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11891 on: July 26, 2020, 05:02:00 pm »
Picked up the ED30 from the bodyshop this morning.  Had brand new genuine front wings painted and fitted, front doors blended in as well as rust on rear passenger arch sorted.

Rich

What was the cost of all the, and the breakdown?

I got quoted £1400 for new wings painted and blended - as you can see a few posts up I went for second hand wings fitted for £350 all in because this is my daily that I'm putting 20k on a year over the last four years, so it's now on n 115,000 miles I don't justify big bills on making it look 100% pretty, but  could justify 1/4 of the cost for 90% of the look - they look pretty good but definitely aren't perfect, but then neither is the rest of the car so it foes blend well!

I have a bit of rust on my rear arch (really really small but I'm keeping an eye) so would be interested to know what you paid to sort it

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11892 on: July 26, 2020, 06:54:56 pm »

Rich

I got quoted £1400 for new wings painted and blended - as you can see a few posts up I went for second hand wings fitted for £350 all in because this is my daily that I'm putting 20k on a year over the last four years, so it's now on n 115,000 miles I don't justify big bills on making it look 100% pretty, but  could justify 1/4 of the cost for 90% of the look - they look pretty good but definitely aren't perfect, but then neither is the rest of the car so it foes blend well!

I have a bit of rust on my rear arch (really really small but I'm keeping an eye) so would be interested to know what you paid to sort it

Don't keep an eye on it, get it sorted before the whole arch is riddled. Whatever you can see, it will be worse than that once you strip the paint off.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #11893 on: July 26, 2020, 08:59:48 pm »

Rich

Wings were £241 delivered from RPS Online.
Painting of wings, fitting and blending in door was £550
Repair and paint of rear arch was £150

Hope this helps.

Richard

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11894 on: July 26, 2020, 09:08:08 pm »