Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2526819 times)

Offline Adrian 200bhp

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11955 on: November 18, 2020, 06:26:35 am »
Hi mate, yeah really pleased with exhaust. Had booked it in over 2 months ago and time dragged till it was done lol but it was worth the wait. Nice deep throaty sound to it but doesn't wake rhe neighbours up 3 miles away :grin:

Offline Cozza

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11956 on: November 27, 2020, 12:48:19 pm »
Finally got RNS 315 dab radio installed in my edition 30, which I’m over the moon with! makes me wonder how I put up with the RCD 300 for so long.

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #11957 on: December 03, 2020, 01:07:22 pm »
Had pair of rear brake splash guards fitted today, no more sounding like a wedding car dragging tin cans behind!  :congrats:

Offline GPem3:16

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #11958 on: December 03, 2020, 05:43:14 pm »
Ha, the worst sound.
My mechanic re sprayed mine whilst fitting the rear pads/disks.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #11959 on: December 03, 2020, 07:59:32 pm »
Yeah the sound is terrible scraping and rattling down the road!

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #11960 on: December 18, 2020, 09:45:07 am »
Gave it a wash / pumped up tyres / tin of Liquimoly injector cleaner. Feels perkier overall. Pudding recommended this cleaner to me and it feels quicker acting than the BG44k plus half the price.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11961 on: December 18, 2020, 06:37:40 pm »
Gave it a wash / pumped up tyres / tin of Liquimoly injector cleaner. Feels perkier overall. Pudding recommended this cleaner to me and it feels quicker acting than the BG44k plus half the price.

It's really good stuff that.  Completely shifted all of my rough cold starts and idle lumpiness.  It's been consistently good for weeks now, so it wasn't a fluke.

I could be wrong but I think it also breaks down the carbon build up on the piston crowns, which might explain some of the revived perkiness. Obviously it won't touch the valves though.

I stuck some in the missus MK4 1.6 as well after she complained of stalling at junctions.  It's sorted that engine out as well!  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline EnglandUK

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #11962 on: December 18, 2020, 07:37:12 pm »
Unfortunately not a lot with mine, picked it up Sunday and it’s now sitting on the drive with a screw in the tyre that were only fitted a few months ago....unrepairable. Never mind, a good excuse to stick four PS4’s on after christmas

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #11963 on: December 30, 2020, 06:05:23 pm »
Bit of a saga this week, fixed the cruise stalk (broken wire), then went to fit the new seats I'd bought but found the airbag connectors were different so had to wait until the scrappers opened up again so I could get the wiring parts to make a small loom to connect them together,  then went to get the steering symbol turned off but it wouldn't accept because the rear abs sensor decided that was the perfect time to crap out, so this morning I had a mad dash to get a new rear hub and abs sensor and fit them before the weather turned. Thankfully all sorted now!

Offline OldGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #11964 on: December 31, 2020, 12:04:42 pm »

It's really good stuff that.  Completely shifted all of my rough cold starts and idle lumpiness.  It's been consistently good for weeks now, so it wasn't a fluke.

I could be wrong but I think it also breaks down the carbon build up on the piston crowns, which might explain some of the revived perkiness. Obviously it won't touch the valves though.

I stuck some in the missus MK4 1.6 as well after she complained of stalling at junctions.  It's sorted that engine out as well!  :happy2:

Got some Liquimoly and added it to a full tank after being puddings recommendation. Too soon to notice any difference as car was running fine anyway. I just wanted to ask if you guys add it and fill the tank right up or do you add it and fill the tank halfway to make the mix stronger?

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #11965 on: December 31, 2020, 03:01:23 pm »
I filled mine up completely from empty. Give it a few miles and see what you think however with this colder weather I noticed it running smoother when starting up.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #11966 on: January 01, 2021, 12:26:01 am »
For more context, I fitted new from VAG injectors 60K ago and have run V Power exclusively ever since.  In the last 20K or so, it developed a lumpy, spluttery cold start, lumpy warm up and a rough, unsettled hot idle.....but typically, it never triggered any misfire or lean/rich running codes. 

It got REALLY bad in the last 2000 miles or so due to shorter COVID journeys.  It started almost stalling at junctions and felt like it was running on 3 cylinders occasionally.

So anyway, I shoved in the LiquiMoly as as above, just as an experiment and it's cheap stuff. I did an initial 2 cans in half a tank dose to shift the crud, and literally within 100 miles, it totally smoothed out and it's been like that ever since.

Other symptoms were hunting on part throttle around town, excessive black smoke in boost and just generally very flat and unresponsive off boost.

Since using that stuff, it's been a torquey, wheel spinning beast. 

If you don't notice any difference using it, your injectors aren't clogged  :happy2:

I have a hunch this stuff also cleans the piston crowns as throttle response is also much improved.  After a few more cans I'll stick the borescope down there and report back.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #11967 on: January 01, 2021, 10:21:34 pm »
Ordered a set of toyo tyres from camskill.

Offline EnglandUK

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #11968 on: January 04, 2021, 09:36:00 pm »
Had a new cambelt and waterpump fitted. Guy said it was highly likely it was the original belt and that it actually looked ok and he has never come across a snapped vw belt but plenty on french brands. I’m glad I resisted the temptation to drive it until I knew it was done now. Also changed oil to millers nanodrive 5w 40.

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #11969 on: January 04, 2021, 10:05:40 pm »
Ordered a set of Yokohama BluEarth Winter V905 for my spare set of 17”. Planning on having them fitted at weekend if I am still able to with new lockdown in place now.

Also ordered a couple of cans of the liquidmoly injector cleaner after reading the comments above. Startups are a bit on the rough side so figure it might be the injectors. Let’s see how it goes when it arrives later in week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 10:07:53 pm by fakie1977 »