Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527200 times)

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12015 on: March 01, 2021, 02:42:56 pm »
Was thinking last week how reliable my MK5 has been of late. Of course this tempted fate and I walked onto the drive today to see a small pool of oil under the front bumper. Peaked into the engine to investigate and now my bonnet won't close. Never a dull moment with a MK5! :)
The bonnet latch is a common problem with these. I had to change mine as the same thing happened and I couldn’t close it. Much better than not being able to open it though. I used this guide to help if you’re not familiar with doing it.

https://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk5/bonnet_catch/index.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for the guide. It did go a while back but WD40 sorted it, no such luck this time so have ordered the part from VW which I will pickup tomorrow. Getting to the lock to take out was pretty straightforward, it's the whole removing the cable from along the inside front which doesn't seem as simple. Luckily the bonnet shuts to a point and is held in place by the latch (I think I'll be avoiding motorway driving until it's fixed tho in case!)  :happy2:

Offline jacksosi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12016 on: March 01, 2021, 10:09:52 pm »
Been treating the old girl to a bit of love recently, 12+ years old and never had any trouble with her  :happy2:

Had the sides and rear bumper resprayed a few months back
Had the wheels refurbished to a mid-grey, which I originally wasn't keen on, but they have grown on me and now I really like them.

Polish
Finding this stuff really good, goes on both paintwork and glass, very easy to apply and gives a real shine.
After it rains I just towel off with a microfibre cloth and it comes up gleaming again.
SHINE ARMOR Fortify Quick Coat : https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07LHB3B2Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Leather renovator
Black leather seats, a bit of white cracking in places and general wear and tear, again very easy to apply and looks a lot better
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017JXMJ1I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New mats
Bargain - design your own and they are made to order from £20 !
I picked black with red trim to match the car's colour scheme...I did also add the Union Jack heel pad in black too, but that wasn't great so I'd skip that next time, however overall very pleased.
https://www.carmats-uk.com/cm/volkswagen/golf/898?product=standard&product_set_type_id=24

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 12:46:35 pm by jacksosi »
Black MkV Gti (Nov 2008), no modifications

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #12017 on: March 02, 2021, 01:04:57 am »
Looking good  :happy2:

There are a lot of decent waxes/polishes around for peanuts these days.

I gave up on the posh Swissol stuff and similarly over priced carnuba products years ago.  I just use cheap old Turtle Wax Hybrid solutions now.  For 15 quid or whatever it costs, the depth of shine, ease of application and water beading duration p1sses all over expensive waxes from years ago.  Technology has moved on  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #12018 on: March 02, 2021, 06:28:43 pm »
Ordered some new centre caps for the wheels too
Did you go through dealers or online? Can’t seem to find anything except replicas (probably because of cost).

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
« Reply #12019 on: March 03, 2021, 10:02:26 am »
Ordered some new centre caps for the wheels too
Did you go through dealers or online? Can’t seem to find anything except replicas (probably because of cost).

Hi Stealthwolf I initially tried Ebay but wasn't too confident any of the ones on offer were genuine, rang TPS and they quoted £16.46 each on trade.... Then rang VW main dealer and they did a deal at £13.80 each :happy2:

Offline JTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12020 on: March 03, 2021, 11:37:11 am »
Replaced faulty bonnet latch, was pretty straightforward once I'd figured out how to remove the sensor wire.

Car has been acting a bit weird the past 24 hours. Put my foot down on a straight coming back from work yesterday, after this engine sounded very rough for rest of journey, not exactly misfiring but definitely noisier than normal and rattling at times. Went on short run this morn and engine light was on and read 4 misfire fault codes, but seemed fine performance wise. Reset faults, went out again just, hammered it in sport mode on a 10 min journey and seems fine now. I've always had a strange flutter noise from the left of the engine and this is where the increased noise was. Will keep an eye on it the next few days.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #12021 on: March 04, 2021, 04:46:20 pm »
Had a pair of Goodyear F1 supersports put on the front, with the Michelin being relegated to the rear. Also had a basic (toe) alignment done and the car drives better now, though tbh the old settings had become pretty out of spec.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12022 on: March 05, 2021, 12:59:32 am »
Picked up a new lower windshield cowl (1K1 819 415 B 9B9).
Also picked up a new PCV (06F 129 101 R) and rear vent tube (06F 103 213 N).

The lower cowl isn't immediately needed. I cracked the original when swapping the springs a while back and it is epoxied for now.

I'm also in no rush to install the PCV and vent tube...just wanted to go with the valveless rear vent tube when I put a new K04 turbo in later this year.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline MKMike

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #12023 on: March 06, 2021, 05:43:40 pm »
picked her up, made me wait 5 hours but she's worth it. Steering felt a bit stiff but I'm hoping it's just because she sat for a few months, still taking her to an indi for a health check this week.

Offline Bagus

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #12024 on: March 06, 2021, 07:40:42 pm »
Did this last week

Fitted Ed30 bumper. Its a big improvement but think i’ll fit an R32 bumper when i get around to getting a Powervalve exhaust fitted.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 07:44:46 pm by Bagus »

Offline Bagus

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #12025 on: March 06, 2021, 07:43:41 pm »
Then today these went in.

Will do a proper post once the amp and sub are done.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 07:45:33 pm by Bagus »

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=18j3t55unrbv2jqgjf3ukqn9vb&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #12026 on: March 09, 2021, 06:43:30 pm »
Removed the front splitter as it was handing off.   :sad1:

Wished I could afford to buy the wife another Daily (automatic).

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 06:47:35 pm by dazza »

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline Cosmos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
  • 376bhp 423lbs torque
  • My Ride: Golf Gti Edition 30
« Reply #12027 on: March 10, 2021, 05:17:38 pm »
Been after this for ages. Just bought a brand new 7.5” et51 pescara from ebay as a spare wheel due to having the TTRS brakes on the front and the space saver not going over them. Away to get a michelin ps4 to go on it. Alot of money for a wheel that will most likely never get used but would be kicking myself if im away up the west coast in scotland on our yearly family holiday and get a puncture.

Offline MKMike

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #12028 on: March 11, 2021, 02:12:36 pm »
Hi boys,

Does this start up sound ok to you? To my untrained ear it's a bit "coughy and laggy" suggesting an old battery maybe?

https://streamable.com/pn8trd

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #12029 on: March 11, 2021, 10:18:43 pm »
Hi boys,

Does this start up sound ok to you? To my untrained ear it's a bit "coughy and laggy" suggesting an old battery maybe?

https://streamable.com/pn8trd

What we supposed to be listening to? Can only hear the ping of the alarm lol.