Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527535 times)

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12045 on: March 25, 2021, 02:45:46 pm »
Today I'll mostly be clipping off the nearside rear brake splash guard because it's too much work to replace it right now and it produces the loudest sound known to man when it rattles. Also need to figure out why my rear wiper has stopped working, probably the same reason the rear demist and boot switch have stopped working as well.
I have the exact same issue with electrical stuff on the boot hatch. I'm 99% sure it's down to the wiring fraying underneath the rubber outer at the boot lid hinge. Not sure if there's a plug and play replacement or whether you have to repair individual wires, will post back here once I've figured it out.

I know these are a thing, so you're right, it'll be under the rubber
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333857892071

You'll probably want to pull some of the harness out to be able to get to the wires easily enough to repair/heatshrink the existing loom. This good how to on getting the wiring loom out may help.
https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,86689.0.html
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 02:49:45 pm by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #12046 on: March 26, 2021, 07:10:55 am »
It will be broken wires in the hinged section of the tailgate. I lost the boot close function and wiper due to this.

I simply pulled the gromit back and soldered on a new bridge wire to give them more slack as they are quite tight in there.

Oddly the wires are mostly white  :scared: but they broke at different lengths, so was able to match up the pairs correctly
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #12047 on: March 28, 2021, 09:23:27 am »
The kit replaces the grommets and you basically need to add a plug into each existing wire and plug it in. They're cheap so thinking about doing this first to see if it works  :smiley:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tailgate-Cable-Repair-Set-fits-VOLKSWAGEN-GOLF-1K-3-2-Left-05-to-08-Harness-Febi-/233860093648?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

As for today, technically it was yesterday but finally cut the fecking rattle monster that is the rear nearside brake splash guard off. I'll get a new one fitted when I have some spare cash again. Currently playing a "just bought a house" Vs "car needs stuff" battle with the finances  :grin:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 09:30:31 am by probedb »

Offline Rampage

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #12048 on: March 28, 2021, 10:08:28 am »
The wires kept breaking on mine about 5 yrs ago. Problem is they get brittle with age and you’ll keep repairing the wires. Bought a replacement rear loom from VW for about £70 from memory...  And there is a good guide on the Pelican Parts website to install. It’s stripping the interior panels on the near side and rear seats that’s takes the time. Pretty straightforward though and it’s a proper job 👍🏽

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #12049 on: March 28, 2021, 12:01:37 pm »
Oil and filter change today will do the pollen filter Monday when I can grab one from euros

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #12050 on: March 30, 2021, 12:41:23 pm »
Thought I’d do a compression test today 200 across all the cylinders so very happy with that, only reason I checked is she’s drinking a little oil around 1 liter in 2000-2500 miles some say this is normal others say it’s not but at least the compression is good  :signLOL:

I did find a little bit of wet oil at the back of the valve cover around one of the valve cover screws checked the screw and it was a loose so nipped it back up and will keep a eye on it.

Offline GPem3:16

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #12051 on: March 30, 2021, 12:58:16 pm »
2x new wings
2x new front struts sachs and top mounts
Set new 35mm lowering springs

Exciting times

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #12052 on: March 30, 2021, 01:51:50 pm »
Decided to change the BBS CS5 wheel caps to red from the carbon look ones for a change.....excuse the dirty car.

Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline probedb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #12053 on: March 30, 2021, 10:18:27 pm »
MOT tomorrow so doing the usual fluid checks, tyres, lights etc. So at least I know the little things are done.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #12054 on: April 03, 2021, 12:23:05 pm »
Finally got around to removing my tired Ohlins kit. They need to be sent off for rebuild. Going to REALLY miss them  :sad1:

In it's place I fitted the -20mm ST kit from DPM Performance.  I wasn't expecting a lot given the low cost, but I'm actually pleasantly surprised by them. I think they'll do the job nicely until I get my chum Mr Oliver Lhins back.

I got the thicker TT rear spring pads as I was expecting the rear to sit lower than the front, so it is a little high at the back.  I'll see how it settles and revert back to GTI pads if need be.

Also did the rear brake shields, new rear discs and pads and new pads up front. And an oil change.  A long day!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline wacky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12055 on: April 03, 2021, 07:23:12 pm »
Washed my ed30 there was a ton of pollen on her 😞. Considering selling her now as it’s a second car which is hardly ever used.

Offline maxamplitude10

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • '07' ED30 Manual 3Dr
    • Email
« Reply #12056 on: April 05, 2021, 09:36:40 pm »
A great day, finally got round to removing my ABS unit and replacing the hydraulic block containing the dreaded pressure sensor. Only had one issue being the seized brake pipe connector which was eventually persuaded off using a blow torch!!!!
Swapped the ECU over and reinstalled unit, fired it up and both dash light/ fault code cleared and ABS back in action :happy2:

Also replaced all the alloy wheel centre caps with genuine VW ones, expensive but worth it now there installed...
Then went on to do a an oil/ filter change and also swapped the fuel filter out, again all genuine VW parts used

Finished off the day with a full valet and I am very pleased with the results, it's times like this that remind me why I love the Ed30 :grin:
Cheers
Max

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 01:29:32 am by maxamplitude10 »

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12057 on: April 08, 2021, 11:07:28 pm »
2x new wings

Exciting times

Fitted drivers side wing. Looks so clean now.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12058 on: April 08, 2021, 11:09:16 pm »
2x new wings

Exciting times

Doing the other side tomorrow. Will take some pictures if anyone is interested. Pretty simple really, hardest part was sitting it true.

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #12059 on: April 08, 2021, 11:20:11 pm »
2x new wings

Exciting times

Doing the other side tomorrow. Will take some pictures if anyone is interested. Pretty simple really, hardest part was sitting it true.

Yeah can you take some photos on step by step how you did it please. I've got some rust bubbles starting to appear and would like to see how it's done to replace it.