Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527458 times)

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12090 on: April 29, 2021, 12:14:30 pm »
New pads on the rear and oil filter housing assembly

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #12091 on: April 30, 2021, 02:49:38 am »
New mats and replaced the leaking rear shock

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8fm20k9k4o4s5ejp9hkdbgqn76&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #12092 on: April 30, 2021, 07:14:19 am »

Where do you get the mats from? Good quality?

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #12093 on: April 30, 2021, 07:19:08 am »

Where do you get the mats from? Good quality?
From Matcraft, a company in Perth. Quality is very good.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8fm20k9k4o4s5ejp9hkdbgqn76&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #12094 on: April 30, 2021, 07:35:30 am »
Ahh Perth Australia… not Perth Scotland. Postage to Uk might be a killer  :signLOL:

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #12095 on: April 30, 2021, 03:46:14 pm »
Replaced the ignition switch. Video on YouTube was 10 mins but took hours as it was almost impossible to remove the connector.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12096 on: April 30, 2021, 08:01:54 pm »
I was replacing the front window cowl (pn:1K1 819 415)...along the bottom. I removed the wiper arms and noticed one wiper post cap (1J0 955 276 B) was missing and the other was cracked and are not available for replacement individually. There is now only a kit (1J0 955 456) with multiple parts in it...including the two 1J0 955 276 B. Most in the kit are not needed on the MK5, but cost $58usd here.

They are only debris shields and for dressing it up for visual appearance so to hide the post. I found two flat rubber washers/shims to fit over the posts and near the same diameter of the hole in the cowl for the two wiper posts, instead of ordering the kit.

Fits snug on the post and fills the cowl opening:

The brittle plastic bit that broke:

**edit**
I have swapped out the flat rubber washers for something else.
I took two rubber caps (3/4"ID) and used brass metal tubing, cut to approx. 1-1/4" long and sharpened at one end, as a punch. I pressed the tube through the rubber cap from inside, using a vise, for the 12mm holes needed to slide down over each wiper post. Then cut the length of the caps down to no more than 8mm. They look better and should last longer.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 04:15:34 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline wacky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12097 on: May 03, 2021, 05:21:19 pm »
I cleaned and polished my eddie today, a little sad in the knowledge that I will be selling her soon.
she came up looking stunning though !

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #12098 on: May 03, 2021, 08:04:08 pm »
DIY refurb of the ATS wheels  Now sporting a well executed Titanium paint finish  :happy2:
https://imgur.com/kSFSRqJ https://imgur.com/mAsyf9G
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:27:30 pm by terrier »

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
« Reply #12099 on: May 04, 2021, 10:04:42 am »
I cleaned and polished my eddie today, a little sad in the knowledge that I will be selling her soon.

Pic or it didn't happen! ;)
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline wacky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12100 on: May 04, 2021, 02:38:47 pm »

Pic or it didn't happen! ;)

I didn't take pics and not worth taking any now after the night of weather we had  :grin:  next time !

Offline brian_badonde

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #12101 on: May 05, 2021, 08:52:10 am »
Had a helix organic clutch fitted + new DMF yesterday after getting a whole load of slip. Original clutch and DMF in attached picture. We were surprised that the clutch plate didn't look worse but the DMF was absolutely trashed - in addition to the usual rotational play (that you get with the new one anyway) it would also happily wobble off its axis which we think was what was causing the clutch to slip under power as opposed to the clutch plate being badly worn. In all fairness it's done well considering it's had 120,000 miles on it and a couple of track days. Though it's making me wonder if I could have saved a few quid (and my left leg) just chucking a new OEM clutch in there as the car isn't putting out silly torque figures. If that's the case then it seems the DMF is as much the weak point in these cars as the stock clutch, and if you can get away with a stock one not slipping for the usable life of the DMF then there's probably not much point in going for an uprated one and the heavier pedal feel that comes with it.

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
« Reply #12102 on: May 06, 2021, 09:20:52 am »
8am MOT and she passed with 3 advisories...
Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Offside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Central Exhaust silencer slightly loose clamp corroded (8.1.1 (b) (i))

Haldex service (and controller repair) will be done this month so I'll do the clamp then.
Engine is coming out this year for clutch and turbo replacement, so I'll address the oil leak then.
The tyre can whistle for a bit as they're not that old, but I'll keep an eye on it.

I don't mind a few advisories now and again :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 09:46:01 am by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline MKMike

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #12103 on: May 07, 2021, 02:48:19 pm »
money light came on so thought I'd take it to VW dealer as ours does a video of the undercarriage and I wanted them to have a look.

Turbo boost pipe seal was the issue. Washer replaced.

171 squid  :smiley:
Engine light on again, this time it's the turbo pipe itself that's the issue. So had that replaced, they didn't charge me for labour this time as they should have really picked up the issue the first time when they just changed the seal. Then the pipe was delayed for a day, so I asked for a free air con service for my troubles which took the girl on the phone 3 seconds to agree to. The new turbo pipe seems to have solved the rough start issue and now the air con is nice and cold.

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
« Reply #12104 on: May 09, 2021, 02:04:03 am »
Got a new USB port off Aliexpress to replace the very off colour one I got years ago. This new one is normal USB at the rear end so it can go straight into the Andorid Auto port of my Sony head unit.

The off colour one (was fine when I got it) only plugged into the back of a stock radio and when I installed the Sony stereo I got super lazy and just poked the cable out the passenger side of the centre console into the footwell....

So no cables showing now, much smarter. Also got a Caddy traction control switch off Aliexpress too. Personally I think it looks better and makes more sense than the ESP one. Removed the AUX port too and found the blank in a box somewhere, its got a bit scratched might have to get a new one of them too.