Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527908 times)

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12105 on: May 09, 2021, 11:38:01 am »
@pandaman hi mate do you have a link to the USB port please

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,115571.0.html
« Reply #12106 on: May 09, 2021, 03:28:47 pm »

@Jb55  here you go mate https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMsnjkl

Took a little while to get here but so much cheaper than eBay or anywhere really.

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #12107 on: May 09, 2021, 03:58:40 pm »

@Jb55  here you go mate https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMsnjkl

Took a little while to get here but so much cheaper than eBay or anywhere really.

Perfect mate appreciate it  :happy2:

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #12108 on: May 31, 2021, 09:02:04 pm »
I fitted a genuine 2019 VW Discover Media MIB STD2 head unit and I'm finally happy with the interior of my 15 year old car  :smiley:

CarPlay brings more “brains” and features to the Mk5, as well as these units having better sound quality, DAB and much more. “Hey Siri” works great while driving. Plug and play, and all steering wheel buttons and cluster integration just works (CP removed and all activations).

(What else is in this pic… Tiguan 3D Colour cluster, Mk6 Flat Bottom MFSW, Passat “Golf mk7 style” Climatronic controls)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 07:20:01 am by Stupots »
2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #12109 on: May 31, 2021, 09:53:11 pm »
Top work, looks great. Especially like the Mk6? dials

Offline ROH ECHT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12110 on: June 01, 2021, 03:50:47 am »
Today I spent a little bit of the day messing with the new, replacement, K04. I replaced the WG linkage hardware. In that I removed the retainer clip and added a taller M6x1 nut for any future preload adjustments. Out of curiosity, I measured the BorgWarner factory preload. It had 4 mm, or turns, of preload set by BW. I added a new open/non-valve rear vent tube. I am replacing it next week because the current K04 has 98k miles on it and has been emitting smoke under moderate to heavy acceleration and smells really bad.

Then I swapped the boost gauge and DV tap from the hose going to the brake booster to an APR boost tap....from this...

...to this...

« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 03:53:42 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #12111 on: June 04, 2021, 05:34:32 pm »
Busy couple of days (and expensive bill) but had the following done to my GTI.

1) Passat control arms with Superpro bushes and anti lift kit installed
2) Passat ball joints
3) Front and rear wheel bearings
4) Front and rear R32 brakes and new hoses
5) Front and rear brake dust shields
6) Millers Racing 300 brake fluid change
7) 4 wheel alignment
8) PCV valve change
9) BCS turbo back exhaust fitted
10) Revo Stage 2

I think that’s it

Still bedding in the brakes somewhat but car runs sweetly and handles nice and tight. Still getting used to the noise of the new exhaust but think I can live with it. I live on a quiet estate so don’t want to be the asbo neighbour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #12112 on: June 04, 2021, 10:37:52 pm »
That is a big pile of parts in one go, fair play  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Bagus

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #12113 on: June 09, 2021, 11:17:32 pm »
Touched up my rear caliper that was looking a little sad.
Wire brush then paint. Will see how long it lasts. Not perfect but miles better than flaky paint.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12114 on: June 10, 2021, 03:15:18 am »
Finished up replacing the K04...no more smoke from the exhaust. It still has a foul odor from the exhaust, but I am hoping it is from residual oil in the two intercoolers. It has less boost as I didn't swap the Forge WG actuator onto the new turbo. It is only peaking at 20 psi instead of near 25 psi. I will need to check its boost data to see how far off it is, actual to specified, and see if the new factory WG actuator can handle more preload if needed for actual to make target boost. But first; going to do some boost hose trimming and clamp replacements in the next few days to make sure all is indeed tight.

Also made a change in the type of PCV...swapped from Rev-P PCV to Rev-R PCV and changed the rear vent tube from valved to open.

K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #12115 on: June 10, 2021, 09:19:00 am »
Got a new USB port off Aliexpress to replace the very off colour one I got years ago. This new one is normal USB at the rear end so it can go straight into the Andorid Auto port of my Sony head unit.

The off colour one (was fine when I got it) only plugged into the back of a stock radio and when I installed the Sony stereo I got super lazy and just poked the cable out the passenger side of the centre console into the footwell....

So no cables showing now, much smarter. Also got a Caddy traction control switch off Aliexpress too. Personally I think it looks better and makes more sense than the ESP one. Removed the AUX port too and found the blank in a box somewhere, its got a bit scratched might have to get a new one of them too.

@pandaman did you get the android auto to work? I bought a similar usb port with the usb cable at the back and it just doesn't work with Android auto. It only charges. 

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12116 on: June 10, 2021, 04:54:06 pm »
Got a new USB port off Aliexpress to replace the very off colour one I got years ago. This new one is normal USB at the rear end so it can go straight into the Andorid Auto port of my Sony head unit.

The off colour one (was fine when I got it) only plugged into the back of a stock radio and when I installed the Sony stereo I got super lazy and just poked the cable out the passenger side of the centre console into the footwell....

So no cables showing now, much smarter. Also got a Caddy traction control switch off Aliexpress too. Personally I think it looks better and makes more sense than the ESP one. Removed the AUX port too and found the blank in a box somewhere, its got a bit scratched might have to get a new one of them too.

@pandaman did you get the android auto to work? I bought a similar usb port with the usb cable at the back and it just doesn't work with Android auto. It only charges.

Yeah worked fine for me, the head unit had a black cable wired into the back that had a female USB port on the end.
I just connected the aliexpress port to that. Don't see why it wouldn't work, it's basically just fancy USB extension cable.
Have you plugged it into the andorid auto port of the head unit? or just a normal usb port maybe by accident? All I can think of.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #12117 on: June 10, 2021, 08:52:38 pm »
Had the wheels refurbished and the interior valeted by Posh Wash Hyde Park. Great job from James and his team.

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #12118 on: June 10, 2021, 08:55:24 pm »

Yeah worked fine for me, the head unit had a black cable wired into the back that had a female USB port on the end.
I just connected the aliexpress port to that. Don't see why it wouldn't work, it's basically just fancy USB extension cable.
Have you plugged it into the andorid auto port of the head unit? or just a normal usb port maybe by accident? All I can think of.

I've had another look at the usb port I bought.  The usb cable on it only has 2 pins on the connector.

Offline pandaman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12119 on: June 10, 2021, 09:55:43 pm »

I've had another look at the usb port I bought.  The usb cable on it only has 2 pins on the connector.

Grab the one i linked further up its less than a 10er shipped, will take a couple weeks but about a third of the price than getting it off ebay.