Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527287 times)

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12240 on: September 19, 2021, 12:22:56 pm »
Installed my valve controller, paired with a Zinram Engineering catback. Great piece of kit, connects to the factory exhaust solenoid and lets it run in original mode, permanently open or permanently closed.

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge

Offline wacky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12241 on: September 21, 2021, 03:07:48 pm »
I got the cam follower changed today.
Car drives even nicer than before !

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #12242 on: September 22, 2021, 05:44:51 pm »
Replaced the fuel filter and housing… long overdue!

2006 VW Golf Mk5 Sport TDI 4Motion (140 BKD)

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12243 on: October 03, 2021, 12:33:34 pm »
Preventative maintenance... clean front wheel arches to prevent front sill corrosion.

I've been thinking about doing this for years and just never got around to it, so before the winter sets in I thought I should get on with it. It would have been better on a warmer day, as I could then put on some waxoyl spray to slow down the rust until I get the wings off and do properly.

Drivers side

Passenger side

A bit lighter for the effort

I'd recommend everyone do this. The 2 screws that you need to remove are easy to get to on full lock and the whole process took me 10 mins per side. I'll wait for a dryer day and get back out there with a heat gun, dry things out and apply some wayoyl before the winter.

I'm pleased I eventually got on with it instead of just thinking about it!  :happy2:

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12244 on: October 06, 2021, 08:28:11 pm »
Changed my downpipe as the flexi was blowing and replaced with a 3 inch eBay jobbie.  Took me about 10 hours in total as I couldn't remove the o2 sensors.  A slight blow from the sleeve at the rear which I'll get sorted in the next couple of days but overall happy as much quieter than before.

Offline Fallout-NL

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12245 on: October 07, 2021, 10:51:53 am »
Preventative maintenance... clean front wheel arches to prevent front sill corrosion.

I've been thinking about doing this for years and just never got around to it, so before the winter sets in I thought I should get on with it. It would have been better on a warmer day, as I could then put on some waxoyl spray to slow down the rust until I get the wings off and do properly.

Drivers side

Passenger side

A bit lighter for the effort

I'd recommend everyone do this. The 2 screws that you need to remove are easy to get to on full lock and the whole process took me 10 mins per side. I'll wait for a dryer day and get back out there with a heat gun, dry things out and apply some wayoyl before the winter.

I'm pleased I eventually got on with it instead of just thinking about it!  :happy2:

That is great work, my mechanic is actually doing this for me today to get some of the bad stuff that was already happening on the front sill, but if you say you can actually get to that just by full locking the wheels, I'll make a point of doing this myself every 6 or 12 months or so in the future.

These pictures were sent to me this very morning lol:

And the rear lid:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #12246 on: October 07, 2021, 03:49:49 pm »
Mine is starting to go around the VW badge as well.  Check around the rear lights too as they start to rust on that edge as well.

Also need to pull the wings like you've done and grind that area back and repaint.  It'll have to wait until next summer now  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12247 on: October 08, 2021, 11:53:43 am »
@Fallout-NL Nice!

I didn't address my badge/tailgate rust soon enough and just watched it get worse, so had a replacement tailgate fitted a few years ago.

Since cleaning out the front arches I have used some Kurust, let it go off for a few days and then sprayed in plenty of Waxoyl to slow down any corrosion until I can get the wings off and sort out properly.

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12248 on: October 08, 2021, 09:23:56 pm »
Replaced my diverter valve which I suspected was done in as fluttering and whistling noise when on boost. Big difference as it really shifts now... but I don't think the turbo itself is happy as it squeals when on boost.

SquishySquashy

« Reply #12249 on: October 12, 2021, 10:49:13 pm »
Got my Miltek Non Res CatBack exhaust fitted.  Love it....

Offline DBXdarkangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #12250 on: October 16, 2021, 08:54:57 am »
Upgraded my key fobs after seeing a few members do it on here. Looks waaaaaaaay better

Offline jacksosi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12251 on: October 19, 2021, 05:24:31 pm »
Replaced the battery, it still had the original !

We had been getting frequent dashboard lights at startup (PowerSteering, ESP, Tyre Pressure) that would go away after a few minutes. Had it checked but no fault codes, mentioned that the electric windows were a bit slow to respond and he also noticed the ignition sounded sightly laboured, checked under the hood and advised that it was worth changing the battery as that could be the source of the issues.

Stuck with Varta as the original had been so good, got a slightly higher spec replacement for £81 delivered.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/e44/

Black MkV Gti (Nov 2008), no modifications

Offline Stupots

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12252 on: October 20, 2021, 07:23:00 am »
@jacksosi Nice!

I got a new battery this year due to what appeared to be battery drain issues and odd Haldex errors. I fitted a Vatar N70 (EFB type) and it has been perfect. No more faults or battery drain. A little more expensive that a standard flooded battery, but worth it in my opinion. Also, Bosch and Vatar are the same exact batteries, Vatar are usually a few pounds cheaper though.

Tayna are a great place to get a battery, I've purchased from them in the past.

Offline antonis42

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
    • Email
« Reply #12253 on: November 05, 2021, 08:00:32 am »
interior was in need for a refresh so
re-trimmed interior seats, door-cards and armrests with leather and interlagos cloth

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #12254 on: November 05, 2021, 08:01:47 am »
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk