Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527895 times)

Offline JWatsonGTI

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12270 on: December 24, 2021, 09:32:46 pm »
Inlet camshaft replacement, lifter and rocker too. New cam chain kits installed.

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #12271 on: December 25, 2021, 03:47:52 am »
Added new oem xenons with auto levellers (kufatec loom), adjusted.
Went for a road trip with them, they are in another level of lighting in dark roads.

Where'd you buy the new headlights from?

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge

Offline antonis42

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12272 on: December 25, 2021, 09:52:26 pm »
vw dealer

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12273 on: December 26, 2021, 01:45:52 pm »
vw dealer
Well they would not have been cheap. What are VW asking for them these days?

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12274 on: December 29, 2021, 10:24:42 pm »
Replaced the drivers side rear trailing arm bush with a poly one from PSB, it only took me 4.5 hours on the second attempt using Irwin style nut removal tool.  I couldn't remove one of them though and ground it off using the grinder which you can see in the final pics. 

Whilst it was off I used a steel brush in my drill to clean up the area and remove the surface rust from the area around the arm and the arm itself.  Once clean, I used Hammerite paint to metal on the chassis and used Jenolite spray on the bush housing itself, then a zinc metal paint, before a final couple of coats on the outside face with some red metal paint I had in the garage. It's quite straightforward but time consuming when bolts are rounded, I'm sure the other side will take half the time...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 07:06:02 pm by ttelracs »

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12275 on: January 03, 2022, 10:11:50 am »
Got my Recaros installed!

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Email
« Reply #12276 on: January 06, 2022, 06:24:23 pm »
The golf failed it's test with a blowing exhuast - wanted an ewxcuse for a stainless cat back.  Ordered a grown up resonated scorpion, to be fitted next week.  Pretty excited.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 06:37:20 pm by TheBALDpuma »

Offline RayRoocroft55

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #12277 on: January 06, 2022, 09:40:21 pm »
I shredded my hands changing my side light bulbs, and realised how sorely i need to polish my damn headlights *le sigh*

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #12278 on: January 07, 2022, 05:38:58 pm »
Inlet camshaft replacement, lifter and rocker too. New cam chain kits installed.

That looks painful.  What happened there?  Roller rocker failure?  At least it kept hold it's needle roller bearings.  Normally they spread themselves around the engine.  Those things break a lot on Ford 3 Valve V8s but never seen one let go on a TFSI before!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline RayRoocroft55

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #12279 on: January 07, 2022, 10:12:05 pm »
i got some polish pads for my drill to essentially make it an orbital polisher. I intended to do the lights as they were disgusting and yellow. Every guide told me I needed a polisher, but then my drill packed in! So I thought sod it, i've got t-cut and ive got elbow grease, so gave it a go.

3 t-cuts and a polish done and the results are  :laugh:

Offline Birchy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12280 on: January 07, 2022, 10:52:15 pm »
Top effort!! That’s a decent result from just t-cut! Would be worth getting some headlight lens treatment to top up the uv protection and help slow the yellowing

Offline jacksosi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12281 on: January 07, 2022, 11:25:38 pm »
i got some polish pads for my drill to essentially make it an orbital polisher. I intended to do the lights as they were disgusting and yellow. Every guide told me I needed a polisher, but then my drill packed in! So I thought sod it, i've got t-cut and ive got elbow grease, so gave it a go.

3 t-cuts and a polish done and the results are  :laugh:

Wow, it took you from summer to winter to finish them, I would have gone for the polisher

(Nice job btw)
Black MkV Gti (Nov 2008), no modifications

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12282 on: January 09, 2022, 06:38:45 pm »
Finally managed to polybush the rear trailing arm on the passenger side and although I knew exactly what to do and had all my tools laid out, it still took me about 8-9 hours, which I split between Friday night frosty and cold to remove and split and Saturday morning to reassemble, clean and paint before fitting in the rain.  Not as many photos as I was getting hacked off getting wet.

This time I wiggled the arm with the old bush and it was shocking how much play there was.  The corrosion was just as bad so I used a drill and metal brush to clean it up before applying jenolite rust converter to the inside of the housing, then hammerite on the metal and the same again on the chassis. 

It definitely feels so much sharper on turn in and I did notice the difference when turning the steering wheel left to right when driving with just one side done.  The negative is that there is a little more harshness and road noise but a very acceptable trade-off to me. Ideally it would be good try one with OE trailing arms and bushes to get a balanced opinion.  One thing I did notice was how bad the bushes were, they were totally shot and when underneath the car I realised the others are shot too and I intend to poly these too once it warms up.

I also used my steam cleaner on the intake with the engine running once it had been warmed up to clear out some of the carbon build-up.  After, I put it back together and give it a bit of a thrash to clear it out.
I'm not recommending this but after seeing how clean the piston and valves get from a leaking head gasket I thought I'd do this. I've done this on my other vehicles with good results and will try it again in another week or so before changing the oil and filter again.

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Email
« Reply #12283 on: January 11, 2022, 04:27:27 pm »
I got the Scorpion cat back fitted today. I'm happy with how it looks and sounds, although I would have preferred a rolled/flanged tip I think rather than just a thin finish. It's also a little bigger than I'd anticipated 🤣. I am happy with it though. I went grown up and got a resonated one. I do 15-20k miles a year so a droney exhaust would have been horrible

I'll get some better photos and a video after its been through the mot.

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12284 on: January 11, 2022, 11:40:14 pm »
After still suffering from stuttering and cut outs at high revs or under full load I decided to replace the new in tank fuel pump with the old blue top one I had bought from a breaker.  And lo and behold, under full load it ran like a dream without any stuttering, cutting out or hesitation.  Another lesson learned, don't use non OEM on critical parts such as fuel pumps.  I won't mention which ebayer I bought it from but it has a 2yr warranty and I only bought it in August. Wish me luck on trying to get my monies back...

Update as I got my money back no problem at all and the seller was very understanding. Relieved.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 06:39:42 pm by ttelracs »