Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527243 times)

Offline Mekaniko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12285 on: January 12, 2022, 09:26:06 am »
After still suffering from stuttering and cut outs at high revs or under full load I decided to replace the new in tank fuel pump with the old blue top one I had bought from a breaker.  And lo and behold, under full load it ran like a dream without any stuttering, cutting out or hesitation.  Another lesson learned, don't use non OEM on critical parts such as fuel pumps.  I won't mention which ebayer I bought it from but it has a 2yr warranty and I only bought it in August. Wish me luck on trying to get my monies back...

It happens to all of us... it's a lessons to be learned by your own ;)

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #12286 on: January 14, 2022, 01:24:17 pm »
MOT today. She'll be fine  :happy2:  Failed 2 in 15 years 1st for an alignment issue with headlight/bulb
                                                                                  2nd for a dangling smelly on the mirror :slap:

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Email
« Reply #12287 on: January 14, 2022, 09:05:19 pm »
 :signLOL: expensive dangly  :signLOL:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #12288 on: January 15, 2022, 11:11:45 am »
After still suffering from stuttering and cut outs at high revs or under full load I decided to replace the new in tank fuel pump with the old blue top one I had bought from a breaker.  And lo and behold, under full load it ran like a dream without any stuttering, cutting out or hesitation.  Another lesson learned, don't use non OEM on critical parts such as fuel pumps.  I won't mention which ebayer I bought it from but it has a 2yr warranty and I only bought it in August. Wish me luck on trying to get my monies back...

Mine's started doing that recently, although not as severe as yours.  Just a very noticeable and immediate flat spot approaching peak boost in the midrange.  Did you happen to datalog the LPFP when this was happening to see if it was falling on it's face?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #12289 on: January 16, 2022, 08:41:41 am »
:signLOL: expensive dangly  :signLOL:
She passed with no advisories :congrats:  Might give her a well deserved wash..When the sun comes out :popcornsoda:

Offline Golf_is_not_a_sport

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12290 on: January 16, 2022, 08:50:51 am »
Got rid of the white wormed boot badge!

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12291 on: January 16, 2022, 05:51:08 pm »
Argh, my Pirelli developed a misfire. Literally the same day, or maybe it started the day before, having my Scorpion exhaust fitted.

Rough at idle on start up, smooths once it's warmed up a bit but got a flashing EML when idling warm or not, and a constant EML the rest of the time.

135,000 miles it's probably an injector isn't it. Plugs done in the last service last year. I had one injector done about 2.5/3 years ago. Would you just change the other three this time? The car is a keeper, want to take it over a quarter of a million miles for sure (bought at 50k)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12292 on: January 17, 2022, 10:54:34 am »
Argh, my Pirelli developed a misfire. Literally the same day, or maybe it started the day before, having my Scorpion exhaust fitted.

Rough at idle on start up, smooths once it's warmed up a bit but got a flashing EML when idling warm or not, and a constant EML the rest of the time.

135,000 miles it's probably an injector isn't it. Plugs done in the last service last year. I had one injector done about 2.5/3 years ago. Would you just change the other three this time? The car is a keeper, want to take it over a quarter of a million miles for sure (bought at 50k)

Could just be a bad coil if you're lucky.  Scan it and see which cylinder is misfiring, and then move a known good coil to that cylinder and see if the misfire moves.

250K, I admire your goal mate, but it won't last that long unless you're ultra ultra fastidious and proactive with the maintenance, and don't drive it on salty roads  :happy2:

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12293 on: January 17, 2022, 02:05:41 pm »

Could just be a bad coil if you're lucky.  Scan it and see which cylinder is misfiring, and then move a known good coil to that cylinder and see if the misfire moves.

250K, I admire your goal mate, but it won't last that long unless you're ultra ultra fastidious and proactive with the maintenance, and don't drive it on salty roads  :happy2:

Scanning and swapping coils is beyond me, it's booked in at the garage tomorrow. Or is however intermittent at the moment. Seemed to run okay today after not driving it over the weekend. But that is how it started last time!

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12294 on: January 18, 2022, 01:55:28 pm »
Well it was an injector. Number 4. I had number 2 done 2.5 years ago I think. Was £650 last time, just £450 this time (different garage) so that's a bonus!

Thought about getting the set replaced but at £220 each I don't have the cash atm.

I will probably do the last two in one go when they go though.

Would a duff injector cause crap mpg? I've seen a real drop this week.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12295 on: January 18, 2022, 02:49:28 pm »
£179 each - https://www.akstuning.co.uk/shop/home/890-6226-genuine-k04-injector-20tfsi-ea113-06f906036f.html#/915-k04_injectors_options-single_injector

Which is still absolutely scandalous, given they were £105 each when I bought a set in 2015, from the dealer.

Car makers really are trying to force us into leasing. 

Anyway, you should have done all 4, and rolled that job into a walnut blast as well.  £450-£650 a time to do one is a terrible false economy!

Shouldn't affect mpg that much.  Anything over 30mpg is 'normal' but mid to low 20s as a long term average is a concern.

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12296 on: January 18, 2022, 03:59:57 pm »
Well this time around i just don't have an extra £400 for the parts atm after forking out for exhaust last week too. Labour is about £230 so next time I'll just get the last two replaced I expect.

As for walnut blast. The last garage manually scraped it so I'm hoping it's not too bad. Will ask when I collect and maybe get it blasted next time.

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12297 on: January 20, 2022, 03:55:57 pm »
Back from the garage today with a new injector and it's running lovely again.  And the mpg seems to have returned to normal.  I was getting 22/23 mpg on a run I usually get 29/30 this time of year.  Back to normal on my drive in today, so I'm happy to know there isn't another problem!! haha.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12298 on: January 20, 2022, 04:07:00 pm »
 :happy2:

Mine dishes out 32 this time of year and 34ish over summer - long term average that is, not the lying 'live mpg' reading  :grin:

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12299 on: January 20, 2022, 04:42:21 pm »
:happy2:

Mine dishes out 32 this time of year and 34ish over summer - long term average that is, not the lying 'live mpg' reading  :grin:

Lots got to depend on traffic hasnt it.  My run to work at 6am this time of year I get 32-34, but my run home in the afternoon is more like 25