Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527139 times)

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12300 on: January 24, 2022, 11:06:08 am »
Installed the boot pop switch. Already have the automatic opening boot installed so this just finishes it off.

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge

Offline Sleapy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #12301 on: January 24, 2022, 12:07:07 pm »
Installed the boot pop switch. Already have the automatic opening boot installed so this just finishes it off.

Nice mod! Was there much work involved in this as would like to do the same on mine?

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #12302 on: January 24, 2022, 12:09:54 pm »

Nice mod! Was there much work involved in this as would like to do the same on mine?
Just remove the door card, pop out the original switch surround and widen the hole enough to insert the new switch holder then put it back in the door card.
You also need to run a single wire from the switch plug into the main door controller plug then make a coding change with VCDS.

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12303 on: January 24, 2022, 03:05:10 pm »
After still suffering from stuttering and cut outs at high revs or under full load I decided to replace the new in tank fuel pump with the old blue top one I had bought from a breaker.  And lo and behold, under full load it ran like a dream without any stuttering, cutting out or hesitation.  Another lesson learned, don't use non OEM on critical parts such as fuel pumps.  I won't mention which ebayer I bought it from but it has a 2yr warranty and I only bought it in August. Wish me luck on trying to get my monies back...

Mine's started doing that recently, although not as severe as yours.  Just a very noticeable and immediate flat spot approaching peak boost in the midrange.  Did you happen to datalog the LPFP when this was happening to see if it was falling on it's face?

Sorry for the late response as I missed question.  Unfortunately no as I dont have VCDS and didn't log anything with my OBD reader, but I realised this must be the issue as I'm sure mine has been mapped at some point and I suspect is requesting more fuel than standard when accelerating hard.  I did get my money back from the ebay supplier when I sent him a message and sent it back though, so not all bad.

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #12304 on: January 25, 2022, 01:31:35 pm »
Sorted out MOT. It gets to live another year.

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #12305 on: January 25, 2022, 03:47:32 pm »
Bought her some G13 a pair of monroe rear shocks dust covers and bump stops. The covers and stops were reduced sachs items from ECP  £28 down to £9 :happy2:
 Also borrowed some distilled water from work :grin:

Offline steve4934

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12306 on: January 31, 2022, 05:23:27 pm »
Got it through the mot. A new front caliper, and a crack rear brake hose was all it needed. A couple of advisories which I knew about which will be attended to when the weather warms up a bit.

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12307 on: February 01, 2022, 06:53:01 pm »
Changed the front brake calipers last weekend as I snapped the bleed nipple on the drivers side as it was rusted in.  I noticed that when I changed the pads and discs before there was a rust line where the pad wasn't making a firm contact to the disc, but these refurb ones sorted the issue and improved braking feel and stopping.

Since I'm not tracking it and tend to drive more sedately these day, I saw no need to upgrade them.  I will order some brake hoses though as the ones I ordered has the wrong fitting.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #12308 on: February 01, 2022, 08:08:37 pm »
Took it for the mot which I was very worried about due to it only just scraping through the emissions test last year (has a 200 cell magnaflow sports cat). Gave it a good thrashing beforehand and to my surprise it passed fairly easily. Have got advisories though for;

Cloudy headlights x2
Anti roll bar dust cover deteriorated x2
Airbag light not illuminating - Needs investigation  as to whether a previous owner has bodged it

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #12309 on: February 05, 2022, 02:40:46 pm »
Took it for the mot which I was very worried about due to it only just scraping through the emissions test last year (has a 200 cell magnaflow sports cat). Gave it a good thrashing beforehand and to my surprise it passed fairly easily. Have got advisories though for;

Cloudy headlights x2
Anti roll bar dust cover deteriorated x2
Airbag light not illuminating - Needs investigation  as to whether a previous owner has bodged it

Re headlights above, last time I tried a restoration kit the results weren't great, hence advisory. I was going to use a local guy who has excellent reviews. His website said prices from £45 per headlight but when he came out to look at the car yesterday he quoted £75 per headlight which I decided was too much for me at the moment.

So I've had another go with a holts restoration kit from euro car parts £15.99. Only done one side so far but I'm quite happy with the result this time. There are still lots of little scratches but from a distance it looks pretty good.

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
STOP brake fluid
« Reply #12310 on: February 08, 2022, 05:19:02 pm »
dreaded STOP warning this morning. Brake fluid level dropped enough to trigger the warning
 reservoir very low so topped up and bled both front calipers  Nipples in a shocking state
 Replacement titanium nipples ordered x4
 Best of all work paid me to fix my car again :wink: :happy2:

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 61
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #12311 on: February 09, 2022, 08:42:20 pm »
Wheres the fluid gone?

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12312 on: February 12, 2022, 06:00:07 pm »
Fitted the anti roll bar bolt on the passenger side that I couldn't do a few weeks ago as I ran out of time and it started to rain.

I also adjusted and refittd the rear box and pipe as the rear pipes weren't protruding past tjhe bumper and the clamp bolts were occaisionally rubbing on the rear brace, so adjusted before tightening back up.

Still need to t-cut the headlights to finish them off.

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12313 on: February 13, 2022, 08:04:43 am »
 Replacement nipples

Offline Jb55

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #12314 on: February 13, 2022, 11:03:10 am »
@terrier can you pm me a link or drop a link in here to the bleed nipples please , are the fronts and rears different sizes or the same ?