Make a donation

Author Topic: What did you and your MKV do today?  (Read 2527668 times)

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: What did you and your MKV do today?
« Reply #12465 on: August 08, 2022, 01:21:43 am »
Installed the ECS stage 1 rear stress bar and a set of DLI-TEKNIK upper engine mounts.

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #12466 on: August 08, 2022, 02:38:58 pm »
Good stuff. I've got a TyrolSport Stage 2 equivalent stress bar in the loft somewhere. Looks pretty much identical to the ECS one.

What do you think of the DLI mounts?  Quite an interesting design. Noisy by all accounts (gearbox one especially), but not as harsh as poly.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #12467 on: August 08, 2022, 06:12:14 pm »
Installed the ECS stage 1 rear stress bar

I like their stage 2 kit and that both stages 1 and 2 just clamp on (and bolt for stage 2) rather than drilling holes for inserts...but I do fold the seats down for additional space from time to time. It appears stage 1 would be sufficient though for a mostly; daily driver. Your thoughts since the addition of the stage 1 stress bar?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 06:15:43 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #12468 on: August 08, 2022, 06:18:47 pm »
Washed the bird crap off after my holiday and insured it.

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12469 on: August 09, 2022, 12:24:23 am »
Installed the ECS stage 1 rear stress bar

I like their stage 2 kit and that both stages 1 and 2 just clamp on (and bolt for stage 2) rather than drilling holes for inserts...but I do fold the seats down for additional space from time to time. It appears stage 1 would be sufficient though for a mostly; daily driver. Your thoughts since the addition of the stage 1 stress bar?
It's great! I specifically bought this kit because I didn't need to drill anything and it minimises space lost in the hatch, I fold the seats down to transport stuff occasionally too. It's only 2 nuts to remove the bar if I ever need more apace so no hassle.

Offline Sebas_theFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12470 on: August 09, 2022, 12:28:06 am »
Good stuff. I've got a TyrolSport Stage 2 equivalent stress bar in the loft somewhere. Looks pretty much identical to the ECS one.

What do you think of the DLI mounts?  Quite an interesting design. Noisy by all accounts (gearbox one especially), but not as harsh as poly.
I did consider the Tyrolsport one too but couldn't see how they justified the price for the same design. The DLI mounts are absolutely fantastic. No vibration or harshness they just enhance the mechanical sounds of the engine, this seems to be the advantage of the spring vs poly. I would absolutely buy another set.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #12471 on: August 09, 2022, 03:46:03 pm »
After looking at getting a braided line for the clutch, I stumbled across the removal of the clutch delay valve in the bleeder block......so decided to tackle that. Quite an easy and quick job, then bleed the clutch again

My info came from here
https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/12185-tutorial-clutch-delay-valve-removal-manual-cars/

Mine was also black, where the majority are yellow. Not had a chance to drive the car yet

UPDATE Just drove the car and it is a lot smoother and instant if that makes sense. I like it  :happy2:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 06:06:49 pm by mjmallia »
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #12472 on: August 09, 2022, 06:16:02 pm »
@mjmallia - don’t think twice about adding the braided hose as it makes a bigger difference than the bleeder block restrictor. Clutch action becomes quicker / lighter / more accurate.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12473 on: August 10, 2022, 02:35:52 pm »

I did consider the Tyrolsport one too but couldn't see how they justified the price for the same design. The DLI mounts are absolutely fantastic. No vibration or harshness they just enhance the mechanical sounds of the engine, this seems to be the advantage of the spring vs poly. I would absolutely buy another set.

The ECS one wasn't around when I got the Tyrol one, but I bet it's better made.  Tyrol had to send me another one due to quality issues.
Good to know about the DLI mounts  :happy2:  Yours is an R32 though, so smoother in the first place!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12474 on: August 10, 2022, 02:39:51 pm »
@mjmallia - don’t think twice about adding the braided hose as it makes a bigger difference than the bleeder block restrictor. Clutch action becomes quicker / lighter / more accurate.

I can second that. The biggest improvement for me is the much more consistent shifts. They were fine from cold on the standard setup, but after 45mins-hour, the shifts started getting progressively worse, which I can only put down to the rubber section of the hose expanding.

It just makes a clutch feel like it should.  The standard arrangements make it feel vague and woolly.

Offline GilesWoodward59

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #12475 on: August 10, 2022, 08:23:02 pm »
Annual wash & interior clean  undertaken ahead of photos for agreed value insurance

Edition 30 - No. 1233

Offline jacksosi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12476 on: August 11, 2022, 01:56:00 pm »
9th MOT pass in a row, she's a good'n  :congrats:
Black MkV Gti (Nov 2008), no modifications

Offline ttelracs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12477 on: August 20, 2022, 10:22:48 pm »
I did this, drilling out the restrictor on the fuel line and since I have the banjo bolt I just had to remove the rubber hose to access it.

Why? Because when I used to accelerate hard it would keep cutting out like fuel cuts were happening.   Over the last 9 months I had changed the in-tank fuel pump, the fuel pump, three oil changes, spark plugs, checked the coils, the cam follower and hpfp and I was still getting cut outs which felt like misfires.

But this little mod worked, thanks @ROH ECHT as I found on an american Golf forum.  I drilled it out to 4mm but now it pulls without any hesitation, spluttering, cut outs or misfiring, no matter which gear in. Unsure if any gain to be had by going 5mm, so I think I'll leave it as it is. Thanks again.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 07:25:48 pm by ttelracs »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12478 on: August 23, 2022, 09:13:03 am »
I did this, drilling out the restrictor on the fuel line and since I have the banjo bolt I just had to remove the rubber hose to access it.

Why? Because when I used to accelerate hard it would keep cutting out like fuel cuts were happening.   Over the last 9 months I had changed the in-tank fuel pump, the fuel pump, three oil changes, spark plugs, checked the coils, the cam follower and hpfp and I was still getting cut outs which felt like misfires.

But this little mod worked, thanks @ROH ECHT as I found on an american Golf forum.  I drilled it out to 4mm but now it pulls without any hesitation, spluttering, cut outs or misfiring, no matter which gear in. Unsure if any gain to be had by going 5mm, so I think I'll leave it as it is. Thanks again.

Is it remapped?  I can't help but think there is something else at play here otherwise VW would ship the pumps with the fitting already drilled to 5mm.

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
clocks display fade fading
« Reply #12479 on: August 24, 2022, 03:21:52 pm »
LCD display fading has been getting worse Seems to be the hot weather :thinking: Anyway I bought a replacement display from HK
Had it fitted within 1/2 hr  straighforward as long as you dont scratch or snap any fastenings :happy2:

« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 07:52:24 pm by terrier »