Make a donation

Author Topic: Aftermarket Exhaust  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Lukeduke

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Aftermarket Exhaust
« on: March 22, 2009, 10:10:16 am »
What are the benefits of an aftermarket exhaust and what should be my criteria when choosing one?
Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?

Standard Diamond Black manual, awaiting Bluefin

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
Re: Aftermarket Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:04:09 pm »
An after market exhaust will allow your engine to breath much more effectively.  This means your car will be able to produce a fair amount of extra power.  To take advantage of a new exhaust you will need to have a remap to as well.  Most suppliers generally call this a stage 2 remap.

The most restrictive part of the exhaust is the downpipe so if you want to get a stage 2 remap  in the the most financially viable manor just get this and leave the cat back.  All the cat back gives you are the nice tips and sound.

The downpipe will cause less backpressure which will result in couple of things that can be taken advantage of in the stage 2 remap.  Leas back pressure means EGTs will be lower, therefore you will be able to run a leaner AFR.  Also having less back pressure will allow your turbo to boost more effectively.

Hope this answers you question  :smiley:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 01:58:31 pm by KRL »

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 01:36:07 pm »

Another advantage of an aftermarket exhaust is they are much more durable being stainless steel.

The most established manufacturer is Milltek but Blueflame and APR also have offerings and all are used by various members of this forum and known to be suitable.

Another consideration of an aftermarket exhaust is the sound they make. Sporty without sounding like an unsociable boy-racer are what most favour for the Mk5 GTI. The extra sound acts as an extra and very useful driving aid.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Lukeduke

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 03:06:59 pm »
Cheers fellas just the sort of info i require. I have to do a presentation, it can be on any subject, and after spending lots of time on here decided to do it on aftermarket modding. Only problem is i don't know where to stop :scared:
Why do they call it rush hour when nothing moves?

Standard Diamond Black manual, awaiting Bluefin

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 03:21:07 pm »
Cheers fellas just the sort of info i require. I have to do a presentation, it can be on any subject, and after spending lots of time on here decided to do it on aftermarket modding. Only problem is i don't know where to stop :scared:

You don't stop... it carries on and on  :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 03:23:15 pm »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!