Make a donation

Author Topic: Tfsi Mikes Money Pit :: AKS built Cupra :: TTE420 :: Rtech Tuned  (Read 693201 times)

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
Re: Tfsi Mikes Money Pit :: APR Cupra ** Update page 110 ! **
« Reply #1905 on: January 16, 2013, 05:00:01 am »
I didnt see any calipers....

There's a bit of a story behind the calipers. I was having Poverty's mates until he decided not to sell them and. Then in was a case of finding more. Ended up buying new. Jonny at Brake Caliper Refurbs is painting them and a rear set too.

Jonny quoted 200quid to color change the Spanking new calipers I got.  Thought that was steep.  Just want rid of the Marque decals under the laquer  :sad1:

Yeah, I agree. It does seem pricey but I hope once they arrive they'll be worth it  :happy2:

Your best bet Mike might be a pr of Brembo decals from the auction site. I contacted one seller who would do an "alleged" heat proof backing that would allow it to be covered.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:08:40 pm by Cupra R »

Offline gazbutS3

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #1906 on: January 16, 2013, 08:19:41 am »
What calipers you running then, Rich?

Opted for the Brembo four pots.

I think for my car they'll be more than up to it, didn't feel I had the need for 8 pots  :signLOL:

they will be more than up to it pal, even with my lardy S3 they are so much stronger than stock  :happy2:

Cheers Gaz.

You still on stock master cylinder too?

Yes, I am considering the mc upgrade,  but thought I'd see how the std one faired on the next track day, but the pedal feels great on the road

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #1907 on: January 16, 2013, 08:53:50 am »
What calipers you running then, Rich?

Opted for the Brembo four pots.

I think for my car they'll be more than up to it, didn't feel I had the need for 8 pots  :signLOL:

they will be more than up to it pal, even with my lardy S3 they are so much stronger than stock  :happy2:

Cheers Gaz.

You still on stock master cylinder too?

Yes, I am considering the mc upgrade,  but thought I'd see how the std one faired on the next track day, but the pedal feels great on the road

Ah. Good.

When's the next trackday?

Also, what kind of prices have you been quoted for a MC upgrade?

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #1908 on: January 16, 2013, 08:54:48 am »
Sorry for the thread jack Mike but I'm sure you'll be interested too.  :innocent:

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #1909 on: January 16, 2013, 09:14:24 am »
So all you'll have to do now is take it away from AKS and drive the thing. ;-)

Fish

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #1910 on: January 16, 2013, 10:03:54 am »
So all you'll have to do now is take it away from AKS and drive the thing. ;-)

Fish

Aks is a bit of a mission away atm  :sad1:

Also interested in MC info (albeit it might have to wait for me $$$) and Pad choice info

:happy2:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #1911 on: January 16, 2013, 11:26:26 am »
MC's about £350 with the safety reservoir and pin now plus fitting at wherever you choose, the master cylinder fits everything but only works with a few certain part numbers. If you get it wrong then the comp valve on top of the MC gets covered and your pedal will gradually get harder and to work.

If anybody is interested in one I'll need a returnable deposit and a chassis number so I can speak to VW and find out EXACTLY which MC your car has at the mo. if its on the list cool.

Ive not come across any S3s which weren't compatible some GTIs won't work, very early ones and some 2007/8 ones are the ones we've found SO FAR which won't work.

Mike the RS4-2 seems popular was out in a stage 1 TTRS last Monday and we did 6/7 140-20 stops on a private road over 2 miles and no fade or issues in fact they were getting better. Ash Lomas tells me he can get the hazard lights coming on on his TT with 8 pots and Rs4-2......I've no idea what that means btw

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #1912 on: January 16, 2013, 11:42:37 am »
Ash Lomas tells me he can get the hazard lights coming on on his TT with 8 pots and Rs4-2......I've no idea what that means btw
The hazard lights come on during an emergency stop. All (that I know) VAG cars have this (maybe some high performance VAG's have this already disabled). It happened to me quite frequently during track days when using the brakes at 100%. So I deactivated this from VAG-COM. Now there are no more hazard lights blinking when braking  :happy2:.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:56:31 am by rex »

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #1913 on: January 16, 2013, 01:25:52 pm »
MC's about £350 with the safety reservoir and pin now plus fitting at wherever you choose, the master cylinder fits everything but only works with a few certain part numbers. If you get it wrong then the comp valve on top of the MC gets covered and your pedal will gradually get harder and to work.

If anybody is interested in one I'll need a returnable deposit and a chassis number so I can speak to VW and find out EXACTLY which MC your car has at the mo. if its on the list cool.

Ive not come across any S3s which weren't compatible some GTIs won't work, very early ones and some 2007/8 ones are the ones we've found SO FAR which won't work.

Mike the RS4-2 seems popular was out in a stage 1 TTRS last Monday and we did 6/7 140-20 stops on a private road over 2 miles and no fade or issues in fact they were getting better. Ash Lomas tells me he can get the hazard lights coming on on his TT with 8 pots and Rs4-2......I've no idea what that means btw

This mean there may be compatibility issues when it comes to adding the MC that's recommended for the DB9 caliper?

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #1914 on: January 16, 2013, 01:40:37 pm »
There's guys running the 40/44mm Caliper with a cupra S3 GTI 23.8mm master cylinder which works well evidently.

Anything that gets 40/44mm pistons OEM gets a 25.4mm master cylinder as standard

Don't forget its not just about pedal travel, the bigger MC will pull the pad off the disc quicker when you take you're foot off.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #1915 on: January 16, 2013, 01:46:31 pm »
There's guys running the 40/44mm Caliper with a cupra S3 GTI 23.8mm master cylinder which works well evidently.

Anything that gets 40/44mm pistons OEM gets a 25.4mm master cylinder as standard

Don't forget its not just about pedal travel, the bigger MC will pull the pad off the disc quicker when you take you're foot off.

Okay, so you're recommending the upgrade?  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #1916 on: January 16, 2013, 04:30:11 pm »

Of course, it makes him richer  :P

I guess it depends on what pistons your new calipers are going to have mike.

Offline b9rgo1234

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #1917 on: January 16, 2013, 05:06:57 pm »
:party:
Very nice Mike.

Just the man, I think this is wrong but do you have Porsche 996TT calipers?

No, I was running TTRS calipers but took them off for the winter.
I warped the standard TTRS discs so have been saving for a set of discs very similar to yours  :happy2:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #1918 on: January 16, 2013, 07:42:14 pm »

Of course, it makes him richer  :P

I guess it depends on what pistons your new calipers are going to have mike.

Might interest you to know I've not had penny out of brakes since October 2011.....

There are some days when I just feel like concentrating on my flying career.........

maybe should make the prices a little more commercially viable....or tell people to poke off when they come on wanting stuff cheap......you've got me thinking now

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #1919 on: January 17, 2013, 08:56:32 am »

I'm sure you know I was just trying to work out if I need the MC?  More imortantly what it will all cost me.  Cash monies are as scarce as ever these days.