Mk5 GTI, a future classic?

Yes
31 (47.7%)
No
22 (33.8%)
Maybe
12 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Will the Mk5 become a classic?  (Read 17946 times)

Offline Jungle_Faced_Jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Will the Mk5 become a classic?
« on: September 14, 2011, 11:14:11 pm »
I personally think the Mk5 GTI is the best GTI since the Mk1. VW really reclaimed the crown with this one I reckon. I have no experience of the Mk6 so can't really comment on that one (it's a Mk5 with a facelift) but I have experience of all the others either as an owner or knowing an owner. The Mk1 is now a bona fide classic and was voted the most important car of the 20th century by Jeremy Clarkson. So do you think the Mk5 is destined to become a future classic?

Offline big al

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
Re: Will the Mk5 become a classic?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 11:40:46 pm »
I don't think it will.
Think the lupo will though. Only 800 gti's on the road in the Uk

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=gaes9tf612d9ot6emhsob890s7&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:09:05 am »
Nah... i don't think so!

Offline Jungle_Faced_Jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 12:10:09 am »
Good point Big Al, there are a lot of Mk5's out there.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 12:24:20 am »
I don't think the lupo will be any where a remembered classic, but what constitutes a classic?

You cant just say the mk5 wont be a classic just cos there is loads of them on the road? I bet the mk1 out sold the mk5 ten fold, the price back then would have been the deciding factor to buy the mk1 but now the mk5 demands a premium from new. I dont think the mk5 will be a classis but it will be remembered for putting the gti back into the brand name that for sure.

Darren   

h4rdy

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 01:08:49 am »
No its just another VW.

I remember taking our Touran for a service and they gave me a Passat as a courtesy. I believe they did that hoping we might change. When I picked the Touran up the Service guy said 'how was the passat'? To which I replied 'exactly the same as the Touran but a different body shape'! Next week it went in I got a Fox!

My point? All the same just faster or slower, and that goes for every other car on the road. Its all about corporate identity nowadays.

Offline impuLz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • PUGPOWAA
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 08:15:53 am »
I agree that the Mk5 Gti helped put the name back at the top- even the likes of TopGear were impressed,

but with current cars changing the model/shape every 5-10 years it has to be almost perfect to become a classic surely?

i think the mk4 still holds ground on the mk5 just on sheer numbers (see them everywhere in comparison) but the mk4 doesn't quite match up either....

who knows.... Stewy griffin timetravel time!
Nothing Logical to Enter

Offline will130787

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 08:24:10 am »
No, there are too many and its already been done with the mk1 although the mk5 is the best gti since

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 08:37:29 am »
Edition 30 will.  :innocent:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline gulfstream11

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 12:49:38 pm »
I agree with above.. The MK5 GTI put VW back on top after the debacle of the MK4 version,(I owned one).But I also believe the MK4 golf shape is the best so far from VW..The PDengine,(Had one of those too) was excellent and made it fun to have a diesel and the R32 will never be bettered,its a truly awesome sight.Plus the MK4 held VW at its name... The peoples car.. :popcornsoda:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 01:01:26 pm »
Agree....

I don't think classic, but do believe it has and will leave its mark. The MK5 GTI does seem to have put VW back up there......

Never had a Golf before, friend has a MK4 < didn't do anything for me really....the MK5 I love and would say to anyone 'Go for it!!!'

'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 01:16:54 pm »

I don't think classic, but do believe it has and will leave its mark. The MK5 GTI does seem to have put VW back up there......

....I agree.

However, my Mk5 will be a classic  :grin:

The Mk6 looks very ordinary - No stand-out factor.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 01:28:50 pm »
The MK6 (please anyone with one do not take offence this is an opionion!) did not excite me. I has nothing that wooow'ed me. Even the R, as special as it is, the MK5 R does make me  :drool: still......

For me, it's MK1 and MK5 all the way.

Robin < Agree she's a classic  :happy2:
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 01:35:18 pm »
Edition 30 will.  :innocent:

I think the Pirelli and the R32 have a greater chance of becoming classics.  Standard Ed's would be sought after.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 01:41:59 pm »
Approx how many were supposed to be produced? believe they were limited, but there seems to be LOADS about?

ED30's ? -
and Pirelli ? -