Mk5 GTI, a future classic?

Yes
31 (47.7%)
No
22 (33.8%)
Maybe
12 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Will the Mk5 become a classic?  (Read 17956 times)

Offline markymark

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
Re: Will the Mk5 become a classic?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 01:43:35 pm »
ED30's ? -
and Pirelli ? -
ED30's ? - 2300 ish
Pirelli ? - 222

Offline crashdesk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 01:48:41 pm »
I don't think the MK5 GTI, Edition 30, R32 or Pirelli will become classics. They weren't enough of a game changer and the design, although I love it was nothing new. There is also the time we live in. When the Mk1 was released there was nothing like it on the road and it captured the imagination. Even with new Ferarri's and so called super cars there is little to be said about them to become true classic cars. As someone else here said, they just go faster, people are using carbon fibre etc...it's a struggle to come up with a car that redefines driving. (although a classic car doesn't have to redefine driving, whether it's handling, power or style, it does help)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 01:50:30 pm by crashdesk »

Offline paul896

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 01:51:22 pm »
The real question is tho, in our mass produced age, will anything become classic? Personally i dont think so, things obivously like an Enzo, Carrera GT, Veyron, Sesto Elemento, v limmited numbers and bespoke cars maybe.... but more maintstream cars? I personally dont think so

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 01:57:49 pm »
I agree with the above, I think that Ed30's and Pirellis will just command a slight premium over the standard GTI's as they do now. Mint standard examples may be more sought after....but its gonna be a few years yet.

Offline Jungle_Faced_Jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 03:23:29 pm »
Some interesting opinions. I tend to agree with the thinking that it isn't enough of a game changer to be considered a classic but in the GTI enthusiasts world I do think it will be regarded as one of the best - but who knows what Mk7 and 8 will be like eh?

Gulfstream I agree about the Mk4 R32. I think that is one of the best looking Golfs ever and I think that could well become a classic. When I got my Mk5 it was a toss up between a good Mk4 R32 or a Mk5. In the end I went for the newer car. Don't regret it for one minute. Every time I drive it it puts a smile on my face  :smiley:

Nasir

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 03:33:06 pm »
Yes I think a standard MK5 GTI will become a classic. It put VW back on the map again, I'd go as far as calling it one of the best cars made. It combines everything perfectly, performance, practicality, image and most importantly it has a modern side.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 03:41:21 pm »
Its becoming more and more difficult to actually get a 'classic' as we are in a mass produced society....faster, quciker and more!! So called limited editions, they always seem to end up doing more than they claimed......

Veyron < Special car, asking some silly prices at the moment. Again, only very few produced......however, there does seem to be a fair few knocking about these days. Will it make a classic? great piece of engineering......personally, think the price will bottom out once the next big thing comes along. Something better WILL takes its place.

Will still have a wow factor, but classic.......don't think so!

Many cars will be leaving there marks over the last few years < classics - holding prices, prices going up.....its getting harder

Hey just my opinion.
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 04:57:14 pm »

Its becoming more and more difficult to actually get a 'classic' as we are in a mass produced society....faster, quciker and more!! So called limited editions, they always seem to end up doing more than they claimed......

Veyron < Special car, asking some silly prices at the moment. Again, only very few produced......however, there does seem to be a fair few knocking about these days. Will it make a classic? great piece of engineering......personally, think the price will bottom out once the next big thing comes along. Something better WILL takes its place.

Will still have a wow factor, but classic.......don't think so!

Many cars will be leaving there marks over the last few years < classics - holding prices, prices going up.....its getting harder

Hey just my opinion.

....But an opinion I happen to wholeheartedly agree with.

Much depends how we define the word "classic".

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 05:46:43 pm »
agree with some of the comments about the R32 and Ed30 but not the standard GTI
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Saint Steve

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 05:51:28 pm »
Edition 30 will.  :innocent:

I think the Pirelli and the R32 have a greater chance of becoming classics.  Standard Ed's would be sought after.
agree'd, I would put mine back to standard if ever needed.But i have no plans to sell. Still enjoy it too much.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 05:58:25 pm »
Classics , something that will leave more than an impression. Sort after, wanted, increase in value....HARD to get........!!

Not seeing anything like that at present? seeing cars that have a wow factory, leave a mark.....but seriously, there is very little about at or has been recently that will be worth ££ in the future, not even the Veyron. This will bottom out in price.
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 08:22:49 pm »
I think to be a 'modern day classis' a car needs to mark the end of an era? For eg, the Porsche 911 (993) built between 1993 and 1997 which were the last of the air cooled engined 911s.
My V12 Vantage 'could' also fall into this category as it has a huge 6 litre engine with a manual gearbox. Alot of so called experts are saying that in future all high end sports cars will come with paddle shift auto/semi-auto boxes; Ferrari do not produce manuals anymore do they? So maybe the V12 Vantage will be the last of the old school "big engine manuals" available, who knows? As long as this theory keeps the value up that's fine with me  :happy2:
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 08:41:13 pm »
^
I spotted a stunning Aston like yours yesterday: Silver with black bonnet grills and plate 'V12 COG' <-- Very cool  :drool:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 09:14:31 pm »
^
I spotted a stunning Aston like yours yesterday: Silver with black bonnet grills and plate 'V12 COG' <-- Very cool  :drool:
There were 20 (nearly 10%) of UK build V12 Vantages attend an Open Day at the factory earlier this year, but not that one!
The bonnet grills are not black as such, but carbon fibre grills to match the lower front spoiler! :happy2:
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline Sarah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 11:17:48 pm »
I don't think it will.
Think the lupo will though. Only 800 gti's on the road in the Uk

Really? I thought there'd be more than that!

As for the lupo being a classic I've heard someone else say that before too but I don't think it would be a classic in the mk1 sense that a lot of people know about it and made waves when it was launched, voted for by the media etc etc I think enthusiasts will drive the price up of them over the years and I think the same is to be said about the mk5s but it would be the standard models that would fetch the most.

I think these days it's probably easier to find a mk1/mk5  (ok not so much the mk5) that is modded in some way than a totally standard example!