Make a donation

Author Topic: How to retro fit cruise control. Comprehensive guide  (Read 98761 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
How to retro fit cruise control. Comprehensive guide
« on: September 27, 2011, 01:46:16 pm »
Hello... I put this on the caddy2k forum a while ago after I fitted cruise to my van and thought it might also be of some use here as it seems its the same set up as a mk5 anyway..

Hope it helps....

-------

As far as I can tell though there is no comprehensive guide explaining some issues that when I now look back.. appear basic... but at the time left me very confused.

So I'm writing this guide from my findings. Please feel free to reply and add your own findings if your van was different in anyway. Hopefully this will completely assist anyone in the future.

!!Disclaimer!! ... I am not responsible for any faults that may occur as part of the process nor am I saying if you purchase the parts I suggest you will definitely be able to get cruise working without fault. This is what worked on my van and I'm sharing this to help others.

Step 1 - Work out what you need to buy

First of all you will need a compatible Steering Control Module. This is a circuit board in a black casing that sits under your steering column and is what the indicator / wiper stalks, ignition barrel, slip ring and steering angle sensor plug into. Take off the steering column plastic casing (see below on how to do this) and then look under the column and you will see a slim black rectangular part about 12cm x 9cm. Mine had a yellow warning sticker on it (as its all to do with the airbag so dont mees with it unless the battery is disconnected). Write down the part number of the steering control module.

For cruise control you will need a steering control module that is midline or highline. Lots of caddys however were fitted with lowline modules which will need upgrading. To check which version you have refer to this handy table... you will note they are all the same part number... just with a different letter or two letters at the end. The letters tell you which version you have.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Wheel_Versions

My van had 1K0-953-549-AE which is a lowline so I needed a new module.

If you have a midline or highline module already fitted happy days move onto the next bit. If you have lowlline get on ebay and search for the correct part. I was lucky and found a CN module for £13 :) but you will have to keep your eyes peeled. There are a few versions that will work.

Second if you need to change the steering control module, double check which slip ring you have fitted as it will need to be compatible with the module.

You will see from the link above there are 4 modle numbers for slip rings and these fall into 2 types..

Type 1: 1K0-959-653 and 1K0-959-653-A
Type 2: 1K0-959-653-C and 1K0-959-653-D

Again I was lucky and had a 'C' slip ring which was compatible with the 'CN' module i purchased. If you buy a module that supports midline / highline but supports a type 2 slipring and you have a type one slip ring... obviously you will also need to buy a different slipring. Might seem obvious but thought I'd mention it as its something to check.

Third you will need to find out if you have the diagnostics wire fitted from the steering control module to the ecu. From what I can tell pre 2006 does not have this automatically installed and post 2006 does. The easiest was to check is to look at the plug on the back of the steering control module. Unfortunately this is a bit tricky to see without taking it all apart. See the pictures and guide below for taking it apart but once apart you are looking at pin 13 and whether it has a wire / pin there or not..

If you have a vacant hole then you will need to install this wire (more on this soon). If you are again lucky like me :) and the wire is almost there it makes things ALOT easier!

!!warning!! make sure the battery is disconnected BEFORE unplugging the steering control module. Also unplugging this and re fitting it caused a steering fault on my van. I didn't know at the time but I believe this will be cured by a simple reset procedure (not needing vagcom yet) but I didnt actually try this so it MIGHT be that you need a fault cleared by vagcom.

Fourth you need a cruise control stalk.  Now depending on if you also need to instal the diagnostic wire or not you can get away with getting just a stalk on its own which can be anything form £25+ or if you need the wire you will have to buy a kit which is about £60 ish. As far as i can tell you cannot buy the diagnostic wire on its own

I actually bought the kit as at the time I thought i needed the diagnostic wire (which is why i now recommend checking if you need the wire first  :roll:)

This is the kit i bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400198815342&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The stalk part number I got is 1K0-054-690-A. I understand this was superseded from 1KO-953-513-A so this may also work if you find one.

As far as I am aware those are all the parts you will need / possibly need in order to retro fit cruise.

Step 2 - Fitting the diagnostic wire - if you already have this skip to step 3

I stumbled across this guide when I was searching on how to do it. It can be found here but I'm going to copy and paste and edit it a bit here and rehost the photos just incase it goes missing for any reason... http://uk-mkvs.net/forums/p/337493/2457330.aspx

ADDING MALE CONNECTOR.

First pic is the marked area of where the target is in the circle. To get to it remove the wipers (which can be a tricky job in itself). Then remove the upper scuttle panel. This pulls up from a small grove at the front of the screen. Be gentle as its a bit fragile but it will come apart from the grove buy pulling up as marked by the red arrow. Start and one end and work along.
I found it much easier to work in that area as wel once the lower metal cover was removed. From what I remember there are 5 bolts holding this in place in roughly the places marked by yellow dots.. I had all this apart anyway to get to my top mounts to change suspension

Remove the wiper motor. Unplug it and then 3 torx screws and there its also pushed into a rubber fixing at the back aswell so once unscrewed it pulls forwards a bit and then its free.. not this is a golf.. on the caddy there are 3 screws

Remove the plastic cover. Again this is a golf.. on the caddy it doesnt have that rubber pipe thing on the side and its actually hidden up and further back than it looks here

Lifting the cover, you will see the target, only one you will be working with is the BLUE connector.

Start off with uncliping the area marked (1) that will remove the part with the wires in it, circles 2 and 3 need to be unclipped also. DO NOT TRY PULL THE CONNECTOR UP, IT IS MENT TO BE PUSHED DOWN AFTER IT HAS BEEN UNCLIPPED!

You have to slide the red bar to the right so that the connectors can release.

Now we can see the area that has no pin, the new lead will be attached into this slot.

Now leave everything as it is and go back into the car. Take off the small item box buy opening it and pressing on each side, again pulling it down, it will release, then pull towards you to remove. Here is where you will feed the male side of the wire.... on my caddy i have a fuse box there but you will have to work out how to route the wire through

This is the direct path to the area you was at, lead the wire to the top and leave it there. Go back out and pull the wire.

Bring the wire through ready to clip into the blue plug

Here it has been connected to the blue box, pin no (4)

Connect everything back in reverse and return back into the car.

ADDING FEMALE CONNECTOR.

Now.. again to avoid duplicating guides please see below for how to remove the steering control module and plugs but this is a photo of the wire clipped into the black plug in location 13. Simply push the connector till you hear a slight click.

Now you see why your lucky if you already have that wire installed :)

Its worth showing this I think... My van is actually a 2006 model and had the wire already installed. When I removed that black cover behind the wiper motor i had nothing there...

Apparently on post 2006 vans the wires take a different route to the ecu.

Step 3 - Fitting the hardware - use the beginning of this guide to check the steering control module part number and if you have the diagnostic wire and to fit the diagnostic wire.

You will need:

10mm socket for the battery
small thin screwdriver for getting off clips etc
T25 torx for removing the steering column surround
thick philips screwdriver or similar for unclipping the airbag
M12 multi bit spline for removing the steering wheel
T8 torx (yes very small!) for removing the tiny screw on the control module
6inch long 3/4" drive extension bar
3/4" drive ratchet handle

First things first... disconnect the battery. Dont forget to write down your trip mileage if you keep track of that because this will clear it to zero.
10mm socket to undo this and tuck the terminal down in the battery box so it doesnt just swing back and touch the positive terminal on the battery

Back inside the van remove the steering column casing. Thin screwdriver to prise the top part of the cover off

The part under the clocks then pulls away towards you and you can put this whole section to one side to stop it flapping down on where your working later

Turn the wheel quarter to the left then to the right to reveal 2 t25 torx screws holding the lower section of the casing in place. There is also one underneath the casing screwing in upwards which also needs removing

I then had fun trying to get the airbag out so I thought it would be helpful to show you what your trying to do..

Your trying to get this pin..

out from behind this spring thats holding it in place..see the little metal bar.. thats the spring you will have to deform to release the pins

I didnt get a photo of this as its right behind the wheel and hard to see but you need to turn the wheel a quarter to the left again and there is a clip in the middle where you insert a thick ish screwdriver (i used a 5-7mm thick philips screwdriver as you need to put a bit of force through it and something thinner would bend). Push down hard on the clip and at the same time push the airbag in a big to release the pressure on the spring and then pull it back. You should feel that side come free. Turn the wheel the other way and there is another clip the other side. Its a bit of a faff but thats the process.

Once the airbag is free you have to deal with the plug which has a white slide clip at the top. I used the thin screwdriver from the back of the steering wheel to push this white clip towards me and in turn this pushed the yellow plug off

Then just the M12 multibit spline bolt and the steering wheel is off

Now your left looking at this.. note i had already removed the black cover from the bottom of the steering control module. this just clips off using the this screw driver

Remove the T8 torx screw from the front of the control module.. dont lose it with it being so small!

Now a bit tricky... you have to prise the circuit board out but be careful as there are lots of delicate pins and connections that need to come out. I found the best way was to first pull it down a bit from the plugs at the back

then from the sides

and finally it will drop free

I found it essential to remove the board in this way as its otherwise near impossible to get to the clips that actually hold the control module casing to the bottom of the steering column.

Undo the black plug but using a small screwdriver to press the little red tab in and the red slider will come out and then use the screwdriver to carefully prise the plug from the socket

The yellow one can be done by hand by pushing the sprung orange tab back

The black plug is where the diagnostic wire will go... or is where it will already be if your lucky!! mine already have a plack wire in pin 13 (there is a pin hole number guide stamped on the side of the plug for you to double check the right hole)

Now to remove the rest of the control module casing so you can start taking off the slip ring etc...

Again I'll show you what your trying to do... ontop of the control module casing there are two clips. I could not see any way of getting to these other than by removing the circuit board and accessing them from underneath..

These are the clips on the casing once its been removed

And here is the view from under the column looking up where you can just see the bottom of the tab you need to pull back (again i used the small screwdriver to lever it back a bit so i could pull the case down a bit at the front and then again used the screwdriver on the tab at the back and it came free.

Next the slipring has 2 clips at the top on either side and then it just pulls forwards

This tiny little thing is the steering angle sensor... you might need to reset this little puppy later!! this is what caused me so much confusion but because I'm nice I'll run you through that in due course lol. This just pulls forwards.

And at long last you can remove your old stalk. Its clipped at the back and then it pulls forwards.

Slide the new one in place and fit everything back in reverse... Take care fitting the control module as like I say the little pins and sockets can bend easily.

Obviously if you have bought a new control module and slip ring then fit these parts now instead of putting your old parts back on ;)

Reconnect your battery and start her up. You will probably have this steering fault light showing.. even if you only took it apart to check the wire and didnt change anything

If you didnt change any parts but only took it apart to check for the wire etc then try the Steering Limit Stop Adaptation reset below and it should clear the fault.

Step 4 - Coding with Vag Com

Excuse the poor quality photos.. i took photos of the screen with my phone for speed rather than doing screen dumps.  :roll:

With the ignition on load up vag com. hit 'Select'

Then '16-Steering Wheel'

Then 'Coding-07'

You should get a prompt box pop up with all the options

Here are those options (taken from the rosstech wiki site http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Steering_Wheel#Coding)

The following table applies to Control Modules with Software Version 0101 or lower.

0?xxxxx: Vehicle Type
0 = Normal
1 = Special Purpose (e.g Taxi)
0x?xxxx: Transmission
0 = Manual Transmission
1 = Automatic Transmission
0xx?xxx: Steering Wheel
0 = Steering Wheel without Multifunction
1 = 3-Spoke Steering Wheel without Multifunction
2 = 3/4-Spoke Steering Wheel with Multifunction without Cruise & Voice Control
3 = 3/4-Spoke Steering Wheel with Multifunction with Cruise & Voice Control
0xxx?xx: Additional Equipment
+1 = Tiptronic (Shift Paddels)
0xxxx?x: Board Computer / Cruise Control System (CCS)
0 = w/o Board Computer and w/o Cruise Control System (CCS)
1 = with Board Computer and w/o Cruise Control System (CCS)
2 = w/o Board Computer and with Cruise Control System (CCS)
4 = with Board Computer and with Cruise Control System (CCS)
0xxxxx?: Rear Wiper
1 = Rear Wiper not installed
2 = Rear Wiper installed

The following table applies to Control Modules with Software Version 0110 or higher.

0?xxxxx: Driver-Assistance-Systems
0 = Driver-Assistance-Systems not installed
0 = Message for Driver-Assistance-Systems active w/o Button
1 = Message for Driver-Assistance-Systems inactive w/o Button
2 = Message for Driver-Assistance-Systems active with Button
3 = Message for Driver-Assistance-Systems inactive with Button
0x?xxxx: Vehicle Type
0 = Normal
1 = Special Purpose with Multi-Function Control Module (Steer. Column. Contr. Mod. as Master)
2 = Special Purpose with Multi-Function Control Module (Multi-Function Contr. Mod. as Master)
0xx?xxx: Transmission
0 = Manual Transmission
1 = Automatic Transmission
0xxx?xx: Multi-Function Steering Wheel
0 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel not installed
5 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel w/o Tiptronic and w/o Push-To-Talk (PTT) installed
6 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Tiptronic and no Push-To-Talk (PTT) installed
7 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel w/o Tiptronic and with Push-To-Talk (PTT) installed
8 = Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Tiptronic and with Push-To-Talk (PTT) installed
0xxxx?x: Cruise Control System (CCS) and Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
0 = Cruise Control System (CCS) not installed
1 = Cruise Control System (CCS) with 6 Positions via separate Stalk installed
2 = Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with 6 Positions via separate Stalk installed
3 = Cruise Control System (CCS) with 4 Positions via Blinker Stallk installed
4 = Cruise Control System (CCS) via Multi-Function Steering Wheel installed
5 = Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) via Multi-Function Steering Wheel installed
0xxxxx?: Rear Wiper and Board Computer
1 = Rear Wiper not installed / Board Computer via Wiper Stalk not installed
2 = Rear Wiper installed / Board Computer via Wiper Stalk not installed
3 = Rear Wiper not installed / Board Computer via Wiper Stalk verbaut
4 = Rear Wiper installed / Board Computer via Wiper Stalk installed

So with my new steering control module being version 'CN' with software version SW 0111 i obviously need the second set of options.. My code worked out as 0000032... I input this.. BUT... yours MIGHT be different depending on what options you have on your van so check this yourself

and hit 'do it'

Then hit the 'close controller, go back -06' button at the bottom and go into '01-Engine'

Then 'Coding II- 11'

Enter the number '11463' and hit 'do it'

Come back out of vag com, disconnect the cable, go for a test drive and test cruise works. your steering light will 'probably' still be on though

Step 5 - Clearing the steering fault / Resetting the steering angle

If your van is like mine you will now have cruise active and tested as working on a little drive but your steering fault light will still be on and your power steering will feel really really heavy.

I dont have any photos of the next steps I'm afraid.

Back in vag com go to '44-Steering Asist' and check the fault codes. This is what mine showed and they wont just clear. If you try to clear them they pop right back up

Address 44: Steering Assist        Labels: 1Kx-909-14x-44.clb
   Part No: 1K2 909 144 J
   Component: EPS_ZFLS Kl.5   D04 1606 
   Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
   VCID: 336083A42BA5

2 Faults Found:
02546 - Steering Limit Stop
            005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation
             Freeze Frame:
                    Mileage: 8280 km
                    Temperature: 19.0∞C
                    Voltage: 14.20 V
                    Voltage: 14.10 V

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
            000 -  -
             Freeze Frame:

First of all there are two rest procedures depending on which abs system you have. MK60 or MK70. To check this go back to the main vagcom screen and go into '03-ABS Brakes' and check in the component field. It should be in there which system you have. Mine was MK70

Perform Steering Angle Sensor (G85) Basic Setting MK70[/u]

Prerequisites:
Start the vehicle.
Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels pointed straight.
Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.
System voltage at least 12.0 V.

[Select]
[44 - Steering Assist]
[Coding-II - 11] or if that function is not available then use [Sec.Access - 16] instead
Enter 40168, to enable the basic setting.
[Do it!]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
After a successful basic setting, field 1 should say "OK".
[Done, Go Back]
To make sure the basic setting was succesful, check the sensor again.
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 007
[Go!]
Check field 1, the value has to be between -1.5 and +1.5 °.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

If you have an MK60 system see here.. http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Golf_(1K)_Brake_Electronics_(MK60)#Sensor_for_Steering_Angle_.28G85.29

Directly after the resetting the basic settings now do this...

Perform Steering Limit Stop Adaptation[/u]

Make sure the Ignition is ON and the Engine is Running.
Center Steering Wheel (±10°) and hold it centered for about 5 Seconds.
Turn Steering Wheel completely to the Left and hold there for about 2 Seconds.
Turn Steering Wheel completely to the Right and hold there for about 2 Seconds.
Center Steering Wheel (±10°).
Switch Engine and Ignition OFF.
Switch Ignition ON.
Wait about 5 Seconds.
Steering Assist Warning Lamp should turn OFF (If it doesn't, perform a short Test Drive).

I had to do this a couple of times and then drive the van and then the light went out and stayed out.

I then went back into vagcom and cleared the fault codes and they stayed cleared this time.

ALL DONE!! :)

This has taken me ages to research... lots of trial and error and then a good 3 hours to write up.

I hope some will find it useful :)

Thanks
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline lee_

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
Re: How to retro fit cruise control. Comprehensive guide
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 08:36:30 pm »
Great write up, just what I've been looking for to do mine!  :happy2:

Offline mano

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 07:16:00 pm »
cracking write up

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 07:19:06 pm »
cracking write up

Worth £10 off the lights LOL ?  :happy2:
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline jimojameso

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 02:16:52 pm »
Good write up. Is good to know you can add cruise on after if your car doesn't have it! :)
2010 Audi TT RS - Sepang Blue - 420BHP, 600NM

Offline chrisenright

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 09:55:16 am »
I not sure that you have listed the correct part number for the "pin 13" wire.

000979225 (now superceded by 000979225E) has FEMALE connectors on both ends when what is required is a wire with one MALE and one FEMALE connector.

Do you, or anyone else, know what the correct VW part is ?

Thanks.
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 09:59:53 am »
There is no VW part, the wire is part of the kit.

or you make your own

000 979 009E for steering control module

000 979 020E for W-Box
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline BarnsleyGolf

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 01:27:52 pm »
thanks for this! helped me no-end as i didnt have a flipping clue to begin with!  :smiley:

Offline Vish8895

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 02:01:20 am »
Wow dude... Kudos man. Was interested but this looks like a massive ball ache and quite expensive! Might wait a while and re decide if I need it haha

Offline akbarirfan

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 11:20:10 pm »
Is the forth picture in step 3 when you can swap stalks, providing you have the wire and correct module already? So there would be no need to remove the airbag? Thanks

Offline bower

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 07:32:49 am »
Is the forth picture in step 3 when you can swap stalks, providing you have the wire and correct module already? So there would be no need to remove the airbag? Thanks

no, even if youve got the correct wire and module youve still got to remove the airbag, module, angle sensor and slip ring before u can swap the stalk.
it sounds scary but its really easy  :happy2:

ps, u can skip the steps of stripping the module, u just need the remove the whole module case (without stripping if u know what i mean)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:37:55 am by bower »

Offline akbarirfan

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 09:52:14 am »
Ah thanks for that - looks straightforward until you get to the slip ring part onwards!!

Offline stubert

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 12:11:44 am »
Great write up.  Gives me a lot more confidence to do this myself now.

I have an 06 GTI with MFSW/Highline.  Is there a good chance i'll already have the correct steering module but will still need the ECU wire?

Thanks

Stuart

Offline GTiBlues

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
  • Mr Blues
    • Bookface
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,75444.0.html
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 06:12:09 pm »
im stuck, fitted the stalk, done the long coding on engine. went to activate on steering wheel, put in the coding 0000032, i get error. Pics below. Any ideas?

049412 - No Communication with Cruise Control Module
               U0104 - 008 -
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 01101000
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Mileage: 142161 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 17:47:33

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:16:30 pm by GTiBlues »

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 10:04:35 am »
what year car is it and have you definitely got the diagnostics wire ?