Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG Tuning  (Read 2946 times)

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 2
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
DSG Tuning
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:19:46 pm »
Is there a software 'up-grade' available for the DSG system?

I find that the up change in 'S' mode when pulling high revs seems delayed, to the point where I feel I could change gear manually just as quick!?

Does anyone or has anyone experienced similar issues?

I really like the DSG set up as it is very clever but, for me, it just seems a little lazy when driving enthusiastically. I don't expect it to be as sophisticated as a Fezza system and be .00000005 of a sec between changes but a little more responsive would be great.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

'91 Corrado 20vT - Project still going... and going...

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=urjc58101tcik6gos3ikkid933&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: DSG Tuning
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:30:45 pm »
REVO do a DSG map which speed up the changes in manual and does some other worthwhile things such as no auto shift in M and increased rev limiter to 7400rpm.

.:Tapatalk:.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 09:57:12 pm »
as above - i'm saving up for a REVO DSG remap when I go stage 1.

you say you wouldn't expect it to be as fast as a Fezza but up until recently it was the fastest shifting automoted manual on the planet ;-). anyhow i've heard good things about the REVO set up. even sets the torque limit higher so if you're planning on going BT or something you don't need to worry about the DSG holding you back
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline JMP

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:57:12 am »
I agree, if you let dsg shift by itself at redline it does feel a bit slow sometimes during changes. Maybe the soft rev limiter is already kicking in before DSG starts the shift.

I never use S-mode, but during quick getaway in manual mode I tend to manually shift up already a few hundred rpm before redline. Usually this gives a seamless shift and there is zero drop in acceleration.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 02:15:37 pm »
A k03 will be out of puff by 5.5k rpm so shifting later instead of upshifting may actually slow you down.   :smiley:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:38:17 pm »
 :driver:
A k03 will be out of puff by 5.5k rpm so shifting later instead of upshifting may actually slow you down.   :smiley:

So when would you say a K04 runs out if steam as I have a Ed30?

Also if a DSG remap, as stated above in the first response, extends the rev range to around 7,400rpm, is there much point in allowing this parameter to be manipulated if the boost fades off way before then? Or is a DSG map designed with having a stage 1 aslo?

Cheers for all your response guys, much appreciated  :happy2:
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 08:06:57 pm »
A k04 should run to the red line pulling all the way.
You may see higher bhp after the dsg map as the standard dsg map does odd things with the power around the red line region as it prepares to change gear.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 09:16:34 pm »
A k04 should run to the red line pulling all the way.
You may see higher bhp after the dsg map as the standard dsg map does odd things with the power around the red line region as it prepares to change gear.

Ok, may explain the sluggish change on the limiter then?

Cheers mate  :happy2:
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 09:29:08 pm »
I reckon the sluggish changes at the redline, would be more related to the traction control cutting in and pulling the throttle valve back.  just my thought as never see sluggish shifts.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline MaverickFSI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Tornado Red Ed30 DSG
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 07:46:03 pm »
I reckon the sluggish changes at the redline, would be more related to the traction control cutting in and pulling the throttle valve back.  just my thought as never see sluggish shifts.

I see where your coming from mate, but what I experience is more often than not on dry roads and already in motion i.e. not from a standing start. I think I'll look into the DSG map and see if that changes anything. The car by no means has had a hard life, 1 middle aged female owner from new, 24k on the clock.
Great balls of fire!

Retro Dubs on the go;

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 07:53:14 pm »
Use M-mode and stay in control of your shifts.

I only use D-mode for urban and traffic crawl queues. S-mode can be fun for multi-junction very busy roundabouts. Otherwise it's into M-mode whenever my shoulders reach the GLF roadside sign (the white disc with diagonal black stripe).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=urjc58101tcik6gos3ikkid933&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 08:11:07 pm »
One thing I have noticed. With the faster gear changes, I would really benefit by having upgraded engine mounts. If you change gear when the torque is at peak level it can be a little jolting. Overall it's really good, but expensive IMO.

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 08:38:51 pm »
Has the dsg been serviced recently? I noticed smoother gear changes after the service?
But being honest, I've never noticed sluggish gearchanges at high rpm.
The only time it has been sluggish is from 1st to 2nd when the car is cold

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 08:48:27 pm »

I see where your coming from mate, but what I experience is more often than not on dry roads and already in motion i.e. not from a standing start. I think I'll look into the DSG map and see if that changes anything. The car by no means has had a hard life, 1 middle aged female owner from new, 24k on the clock.

Ahh ok was just a suggestion as I know 1st to 2nd gear changes can be a bit stop and go if the throttle is on decent amount of throttle. 

Rich, do you find the jerk with the paddles? try the shifter itself as I find that the paddles can be jerky at times but the shifter is always better.  Interested to know if you find the same or if it is the software (and I just have a messed up steering wheel controller.

Mav could be worth a basic setting reset on the DSG as it adjusts the clutch pack bite points and forces it to re-learn all the shift points, its in the ross tech wiki and I have performed it a number of times on my own and other peoples and it will often solve teething issues.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 09:13:33 pm »
I'll try it rich and let you know.