Make a donation

Author Topic: Splitters  (Read 8799 times)

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: Splitters
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 07:37:20 am »
TC i love how ur gradually, and quietly building up your car into a weapon of mass destruction!    :evilgrin:

you started with a fairly basic candy white popsicle and its now looking like a mean ass full throttle ice cream! good work! some classy mods!  :happy2:

+1

Its really turning into a special car! To be honest, i was looking at photos of it the other day for a good 15minutes  :love: :love: :love: :love:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 09:19:55 am »
mines not jap style!  :surprised: i hope it doesnt look jap style, that wasnt intended.  :sad:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline RunRabbit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 09:48:45 am »
mines not jap style!  :surprised: i hope it doesnt look jap style, that wasnt intended.  :sad:

Not tacky stuck on crap like you see on 206's, just the depth and the fact it's on the sides and not the middle.

Looks  :drool:

that wasn't meant to be offensive

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 10:14:11 am »
splitters......... hmmmm indeed, most of them are alot of money to gamble with speed bumps, but bring the look of the front right down to the tarmac, plus if you buy a good one then it will assist with air channelling or 'ground effects'

the osir one for me is way too much money for so little impact, i think RR has the right idea, subtle and OEM looking but big enough to make a statement, suits the car perfectly. if i had a gti i would have already bought one of those, but i don't so i have to look elsewhere and there's just nothing out there worth looking at. choice for all cars can be limited as theres only 1 way to cook a chicken...ie theres only so many splitter designs that can be done before theres nothing new to make as it already exists

my new prototype splitter is almost finished now, the mould is in it's last stages so should see an actual unit in about a weeks time, I've got it so that it sits flush onto the bottom of the bumper angling down and under with a flat shelf to allow flat airflow going under the bumper for about 10 inches, as it gets towards the side it flares outwards and upwards a little to get up over the side spoilers and give some design to it. Innercore will give it the strength and double skinned too so i don't have to fear the speedbumps.

if you seek downforce then you need to ignore things like osir, caractre, reiger and the like as it's cosmetic. what you need to look towards is a flat shelf, such as the type held on with struts attached to your bumper for strength ala touring car:

then you would need to combine this with as much sheeting under the car as you can manage, flat is what you're trying to achive to aim for smooth air with as little turbulence as possible, as it slides under and past the car the air then needs to hit a diffuser to force it out in straight channels:

take closer look at some of the scoobys in your area, most of the guys who get hardcore with those utilise this sort of gear.

if you do shelf the underside you will then need to adress engine cooling ducting and brake ducting for air entry and exit channelling such as vented side skirts and vented front grills. then you would need to address the top rear of the car, huge spoilers would counteract the ground effects so you would need something adjustable and even accross the width

..... and that's my short answer  :grin:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 10:35:42 am »
Apparently the Leon splitter (Tom)T88OMM has on his A3 is a direct fit for a GTI too. His looked cool but some I have seen needed to be fitted properly as some looked sh*te!

Has anyone got any pics of this Leon one on a GTI  :smiley:

And VC this one is a modest one if i remember rightly do you think this would still cause problems with the cooling department.  :innocent:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 10:37:07 am »
^^^^
Am really looking forward to seeing this, VC :happy2:

Yes, I don't fool myself - My OSIR is purely cosmetic and any airflow to the brakes area etc is simply a bonus and not important in my use on the road. Neither do I feel I need to seek downforce - She feels light but still stable at 130 mph plus (GPS accuracy) but how often do I get to do that except on German autobahns.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 10:51:12 am »
Apparently the Leon splitter (Tom)T88OMM has on his A3 is a direct fit for a GTI too. His looked cool but some I have seen needed to be fitted properly as some looked sh*te!

Has anyone got any pics of this Leon one on a GTI  :smiley:

And VC this one is a modest one if i remember rightly do you think this would still cause problems with the cooling department.  :innocent:

the seat cupra splitter imho doesnt really suit the nose of the mk5 imho, i had one on the MK4 .:R32 for a while..but they can be modded to fit almost anything:

cooling only comes into play when you start sheeting, so most front mods are fine as long as you remember that something too wild could have an adverse effect on your cars handling capabilities at speed. the cupra one is merely trim so no fear there and can be trimmed to shape and fitted usually with self tapping screws (although i personally would recommend hex motorbike fairing screws)

cost about £20 from a seat dealership, ignore the ebayers

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 12:23:45 pm »
tc, if you got the reirger one like mine, i could be your black brother  :grin: :grin:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 02:21:26 pm by joesgti »

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 12:56:42 pm »
tc, if you got the reirger one like mine, i could be you black brother  :grin: :grin: