Make a donation

Author Topic: Milltek exhaust question  (Read 1593 times)

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
Milltek exhaust question
« on: October 11, 2011, 01:09:20 am »
This might be a completely stupid question but if I don't ask I'll never know.. I have the Milltek turbo back on my tdi. Was wondering if it's possible to remove the box pictured below and if that'd do any harm?
Sorry for the crappy phone pic

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
Re: Milltek exhaust question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 02:57:57 am »
That is a crappy picture..... :P but it looks like the rear silencer if I'm not mistaken?  If you are just looking to remove it and replace with a straight pipe then it will do no harm at all, tbh you won't achieve anything in terms of power gains, you may not even notice a different in noise - when I fitted my GTi back box I fired up the engine after cutting off the OE back box just out of curosity and it didn't make any difference to the exhaust note......

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 09:21:37 am »
That is a crappy picture..... :P but it looks like the rear silencer if I'm not mistaken?  If you are just looking to remove it and replace with a straight pipe then it will do no harm at all, tbh you won't achieve anything in terms of power gains, you may not even notice a different in noise

That is exactly what i'm looking to do, not interested in any power gain just noise  :evilgrin:

when I fitted my GTi back box I fired up the engine after cutting off the OE back box just out of curosity and it didn't make any difference to the exhaust note......

That's because yours is a GTi back box and mine is a Milltek :P

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 06:08:22 pm »
That is a crappy picture..... :P but it looks like the rear silencer if I'm not mistaken?  If you are just looking to remove it and replace with a straight pipe then it will do no harm at all, tbh you won't achieve anything in terms of power gains, you may not even notice a different in noise

That is exactly what i'm looking to do, not interested in any power gain just noise  :evilgrin:

when I fitted my GTi back box I fired up the engine after cutting off the OE back box just out of curosity and it didn't make any difference to the exhaust note......

:sad1: ......................but I have a milly going on the vRS!  :jumpmove:

When I cut off the OEM back box it still wasn't any louder, but I suppose the milltek is a much larger diameter with less in the way of silencers?  Like to hear a sound bit when you complete the job.  :happy2:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:10:20 pm by vRS_Pagey »

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:31:40 pm »
That is a crappy picture..... :P but it looks like the rear silencer if I'm not mistaken?  If you are just looking to remove it and replace with a straight pipe then it will do no harm at all, tbh you won't achieve anything in terms of power gains, you may not even notice a different in noise

That is exactly what i'm looking to do, not interested in any power gain just noise  :evilgrin:

:sad1: ......................but I have a milly going on the vRS!  :jumpmove:

When I cut off the OEM back box it still wasn't any louder, but I suppose the milltek is a much larger diameter with less in the way of silencers?  Like to hear a sound bit when you complete the job.  :happy2:

I need to find someone that will do me a straight through pipe..went to a local garage today and they said they'll do the labour if i supply the parts :chicken: