Make a donation

Author Topic: What's this under the passenger seat?  (Read 9299 times)

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
Re: What's this under the passenger seat?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 06:37:40 pm »

yellow plug is for airbag, the other plug is for the sensor in the seat so it knows if someone is there, the seat belt stalk, lumber, heated seats, electric seats etc. on some mk5's they have 3 plugs. your not missing out on anything dont worry.

....That's right.

I know because I've just swopped my oem front seats for...............................

DROP DEAD GORGEOUS, GUARANTEED TO TURN YOU GREEN WITH ENVY, RARE AS ROCKING HORSE SH!T, MEGABUCKS EXPENSIVE, RECARO CS SPORTS SEATS !!!!  :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Loud 'n Proud  :happy2: 8) :happy2:

This is nothing without

PICTURES of them in the Red!!!!!    

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 07:23:41 pm »
^^^^
:signLOL:

The Review text is nearly finished but no pics taken yet and it'll be next week to sort out exactly which upholstery option is practical/possible, and it'll be a few weeks before I can pay for it to be done (May's car budget).

I've sent messages to both people who are supposed to be able to supply Interlagos cloth by the metre but no result yet.

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 07:40:26 pm »
I must be the only person who really isn't bothered by the Recaro's then  :sleepy:
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 07:56:23 pm »

I must be the only person who really isn't bothered by the Recaro's then  :sleepy:

....You might change your mind if you drove one of your favourite roads sat in one.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 08:01:05 pm »
Nah, Sorry. I just don't see it.

If they were mounted in a 911/R8/GTR/etc then yes, maybe, but I can think of better things to spend that amount of money on in a MK5GTI and cloth too.... :( I prefer Leather or at the very least half leather. The current cloth look does cheapen them imho. I know that cloth provides more grip to the driver, but it looks cheap when they aren't.

As one of your favourite sayings though.... ETTO  :happy2:
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 08:35:55 pm »
Now these are the seats for the GTi

Nah, Sorry. I just don't see it.

If they were mounted in a 911/R8/GTR/etc then yes, maybe, but I can think of better things to spend that amount of money on in a MK5GTI and cloth too.... :( I prefer Leather or at the very least half leather. The current cloth look does cheapen them imho. I know that cloth provides more grip to the driver, but it looks cheap when they aren't.

As one of your favourite sayings though.... ETTO  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 08:46:05 pm »
^^^^

Excellent pic, TC  :happy2: 8) :happy2:

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 09:27:07 pm »
As good as the Recaro seats may be...the leather used is sh*te...

I was hoping they would have used something like Nappa leather... not something from the hind of a rhino.  :fighting:

I'm constantly having to apply leather cream to keep them supple... some of that may be down to them being heated....but still!!!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2009, 09:32:11 pm »
yeh i dont think they use the leather that recaro would, thats VW for you

I was hoping they would have used something like Nappa leather... not something from the hind of a rhino.  :fighting:

I'm constantly having to apply leather cream to keep them supple... some of that may be down to them being heated....but still!!!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2009, 09:39:50 pm »

It's just as well that I much prefer cloth in a car.

So, Mo, what's the story behind your Recaro's? Bought the car with them already fitted?

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2009, 09:52:19 pm »

It's just as well that I much prefer cloth in a car.

So, Mo, what's the story behind your Recaro's? Bought the car with them already fitted?
VW's cloth is about the same though  :signLOL:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2009, 10:21:57 pm »

Nope me too, aesthetically I think they look OK in the car but much prefer a normal sports seat with interlagos cloth, IMHO they are much more what the GTI is about. But as always ETTO  :drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2009, 10:48:00 pm »

Nope me too, aesthetically I think they look OK in the car but much prefer a normal sports seat with interlagos cloth, IMHO they are much more what the GTI is about. But as always ETTO  :drinking:

....I totally accept your preferences of course, but don't understand "they are much more what the GTI is about". I suppose you mean that the original GTI Mk1's never had this kind of seat, but I could argue that there has always been an attempt to include a more physically supportive seat in the GTI version of the Golf.

Your Ed30 is modded and particularly fast, aren't there lots of moments when you'd benefit from having more seat support?

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 10:30:55 am »

Your Ed30 is modded and particularly fast, aren't there lots of moments when you'd benefit from having more seat support?

TBH, I haven't had any issues where I felt the seats weren't supportive enough.  :smiley:

....I totally accept your preferences of course, but don't understand "they are much more what the GTI is about". I suppose you mean that the original GTI Mk1's never had this kind of seat, but I could argue that there has always been an attempt to include a more physically supportive seat in the GTI version of the Golf.

I suppose my point is more related to my definition of the GTI that it is a car for all situations, i.e. I can one day go and hoon around a track or down a strip like santa pod, the next day collect the parents and take them for sunday lunch and next drive to work and pick people up for business.

I have driven a GTI with Recaro's in so have had chance to make an informed decision on these, as when I brought my first GTI the dealer had a choice of two on with and one without Recaro's, I choose the one without  :smiley:

Like cocopops said in an out and out sports car I completely get the need to have seats like the Recaro's.

But if your pleased with them that's all that inportant  :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 10:51:33 am »

yeh i dont think they use the leather that recaro would, thats VW for you

Mojo the leather used is not VW leather it is recaro leather and is top quality, if they used thinner soft leather it would be sagging and look terrible after a short period. My car is one year old and, the only treatment mine need are some leather wipes when cleaning and they still look like they have just rolled out of the factory.

I also think MR PG is correct about the everyday use they are in noway an all rounder seat, in a 3 door access to the back is terrible and to look after the bolster you need to be skilled at getting in and out. That said for my needs which is no kids and twisties they are spot on. I would like some more room for my b@lls to settle though.  :chicken:
If you are a big fella then i reckon they would not be very comfortable over long distance's.  :smiley: