Make a donation

Author Topic: Hello from New Edition 30 Owner  (Read 7726 times)

Offline lswed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hello from New Edition 30 Owner
« on: November 11, 2008, 10:22:00 am »
Hello chaps,

Hello I'm over on the golfgti.co.uk forum and one of your members 182  blue? let me know about this site so I thought I would pop over and say hello.
 Three weeks ago I purchased an Edition 30. After much deliberation over a std GTi or R32 I found out about the Edition 30 thanks to you chaps   it was then a toss up between this and the R32 I found the 30 to be a bit more of a laugh in a lift of oversteer way..... Yes I'm talking rubbish lol, in actuall fact I found both of them a hoot but I resented the prospect of paying £400.00 road tax on the R32.

The one I have is an EX VW Car (the first owner is actually VW, not a dealer, actually VW), its only 6 months old and has probably had the buggery thrashed out of it by some area manager but what the hell at least the engine will be nice and loose and it goes Really well for 230hp in a lard arse of a car.  Overall I'm well chuffed with it. its a really good laugh and if you drive normally I've got 35mpg on a trip.

I'm slowly changing a few things on it, as you can see I've made a few goodies for it allready. I really didn't like the stock gearknob so I made a ST/Stl one and engraved it, this looks the nuts and helps the shift out no end. I am also making a short shift kit to try and take out some of the slack.

I dont think I will bother mapping it just yet as its good enough for me but I HAVE to sort the brakes out I find them really over servoed and just cack I think this a typical VW/Audi trait?. I'm building a kit up at the moment using some Audi bells/rotors and some 6 pot calipers, I've just got to machine the carriers then jobs a good'un. 

Check out some pics of the beastie if you like

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:53:33 am by 182_blue »

Offline E30m3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Hello from New Edition 30 Owner
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 10:29:19 am »
Welcome LSWed30 ! great intro :)

Stunning car !  8)

I love the gearknob, nothing like holding onto a good weighted steel knob ( did i just say that  :confused::signLOL:

awesome keyring too !!!!

you'll get used to the brakes, once you do you'll love em ! Not sure about high speed stops though anything above 120 and they squeal like little mess piggy.

What calipers you using for your project ?  Audi RS Carbons or POrsche ? !!!  :jumpmove:  look forward to the pics .

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:32:19 am »
Welcome to the forum LSWEd30  :smiley:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:55:17 am »
Welcome to the forum mate  :happy2:  , car looks good, like the keyrings  :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 11:08:47 am »
Welcome  :happy2:

And apologies but your gonna have to put up with all the knob jokes again  :grin:

With regard to re-mapping.................... resistance is futile  :laugh:

Offline lswed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 11:19:38 am »
Hello,

Thanks!  it's a great car, not quite as much fun as the Mk1 GTi my mate had when we were 17, but then again anythings fun to drive when your 17....... Yes I do ramble. I'm well chuffed with it and for me I made the right choice over the R32.

The brake calipers are from Hi-Spec I have them on my kit car and think they are pretty good. not many people seem to use them though. The ones I have gone for are the 6pot monsters. Good price also.

They key ring I made for a bit of fun I've made a few others as well (check pics), It's great what I can do on a friday afternoon when I should be working. I'm also working on a short shift kit which was supposed to be finished last saturday but I got shouted at for not finishing the decorating in the living room.

Offline lswed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 11:25:00 am »

And apologies but your gonna have to put up with all the knob jokes again  :grin:

HAHAH its ok I like people commenting on my knob.....................................

Your probably right about the re-mapping even more so when a friend has his own mapping gear and can do the VW/Audi's (he remapped one of those V10 tdi toe-rags the torque was just silly on it) . I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that a remap will put 300 odd hp through the front wheels !!!! I think I will get the ATB before the re-map, what do you reckon?

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 11:51:30 am »

HAHAH its ok I like people commenting on my knob.....................................

Your probably right about the re-mapping even more so when a friend has his own mapping gear and can do the VW/Audi's (he remapped one of those V10 tdi toe-rags the torque was just silly on it) . I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that a remap will put 300 odd hp through the front wheels !!!! I think I will get the ATB before the re-map, what do you reckon?

they handle the power really well, so i would just go for it  :happy2:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 11:51:57 am »
Hello,

They key ring I made for a bit of fun I've made a few others as well (check pics), It's great what I can do on a friday afternoon when I should be working. I'm also working on a short shift kit which was supposed to be finished last saturday but I got shouted at for not finishing the decorating in the living room.

how would we go about getting one  :signLOL:

Offline E30m3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 01:28:33 pm »
those engraved pieces look awesome !

like your thinking about the ATB diff !  as BMW used to say "power is nothing without control" or was it Continetal ?

Offline lswed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 07:12:05 pm »
Hello,

how would we go about getting one  :signLOL:

Well I could make a few and we could turn it into a group buy? how much do you want to pay? Rather I should ask what do you think is reasonable? £10.00? 

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 07:16:33 pm »
What are they made of ?

Offline lswed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 07:19:19 pm »
Stainless Steel.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 05:56:38 pm »
Welcome 8)

I like your knob too, but I like the feel of leather against my skin more...... :ashamed:
Golf R gone.