Make a donation

Author Topic: A tested and proven quick fix for rcd510/rns510 power drain  (Read 85836 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
A tested and proven quick fix for rcd510/rns510 power drain
« on: November 20, 2011, 01:38:32 pm »
Meant to write this up a while ago.

Its not perfect..

The up side: its cheap and quick and my 2006 55plate never had any battery issues after the rcd510 was installed.

The down side: each time you turn the car on it scans the sd card and cd tray again so take 30 seconds or so before you can play music.

Therefore I'm suggesting its not a permanent fix but just a stop gap un till you can source and fit a new can gateway.

Step1
Find the fuse box under the bonnet

Step2
It should look a bit like this

Step3
Make up 2 jumper wires

Step4
Fit the fuse as shown and check the radio works and turns off when you take the key out.

Thats it. Like I say it has its downsides but its a nice easy effective fix.

Cheers

Nathan
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline robby

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: A tested and proven quick fix for rcd510/rns510 power drain
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 01:51:09 pm »
Would it work if you just added a 15amp fuse to the empty slot or is it the 2 have to be connected together?

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 01:52:17 pm »

Tempted to use that as a bargain basement in line fuse holder for my Sat nav hard wire lol.  must resist and get round to making my Maplins order  :signLOL:

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 02:06:13 pm »
Would it work if you just added a 15amp fuse to the empty slot or is it the 2 have to be connected together?
the two have to be connected together as effectively your using a switched live from the other fuse socket to power the radio
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline kevinm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
  • No. 728
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 07:06:12 pm »
So that slot is ignition switched? Could it be used to power heated washer jets? I've the kit for ages but have been put off fitting it because of the work involved in running the wire to the fuse box inside the cabin.

Offline saj121

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 06:56:37 pm »
Sorry to bring this thread back up, but I think i'll be expecting battery drain soon because when I leave the car for about an hour or so, even when i come back it just starts straight away. It's only overnight it switches off and i'm welcomed by the volkswagen start up in the morning! so im pretty sure my battery will be going so I will need a gateway but until its here (and i can save up lol) this will have to do!

But what plugs would I use on my fuse box? (It's totally different to yours for some reason) My F19 is a 30amp green fuse where as yours is a blue 15amp one!

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 07:08:25 pm »
Its a 15 amp fuse so its either one of the 2 :happy2:

Darren

Offline saj121

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 07:19:23 pm »
lol will im just hoping it doesn't spark up a fault on the ecu !

Will it matter what I connect it too? There's a few blank fuses not sure which one to use though!

Thanks

Offline saj121

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 07:28:13 pm »
using the manual i figured its F8 but im not sure which one I should connect to - any ideas?

Offline jamesmcclory

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 11:35:40 pm »
Might try this for a similar issue in the caddy... Cheers! :happy2:

Offline malukas

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 12:44:11 pm »
Hello,

I also have problem with battery drain and i have same fuse box under the hood like saj121 (picture above).

I know where is radio fuse slot but how can i find right EMPTY ECU FUSE SLOT? There are so many empty fuse slots....

Hope someone can help  :smiley:

Offline yooni7

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 07:40:44 pm »
using the manual i figured its F8 but im not sure which one I should connect to - any ideas?

Saj did you ever work out which one you need to connect it to?  I have the same fuse box.  Iv found the radio fuse but not entirely sure which slot i need to connect it to.  Cab anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

olly330

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 11:28:58 am »
Sorry for the ancient thread bump - I have the same problem as a couple of you other guys in that my fuse box looks differant to that in the pictures demonstrated.

I fitted an RCD310 head unit last night to replace the rcd300, fully expecting the battery drain problem on my golf mkv.

Tried to start this morning, and battery weak, had to recharge for around half an hour, disconnect battery, reconnect and then the car started.

I have made the jumper cable and am now ready to install it to hopefully stop the battery dying while I locate a new Canbus.

This is the fuse box in my 2006 UK MKV Golf Tdi, viewed as you are directly in front of the car, facing in the direction of the windscreen.
You can see the stereo fuse which I have removed and one end of the jumper cable is inserted :

Can anyone advise, for my fuse box, which slot the other jumper cable should go into ?

You will be doing me a massive favour, cheers.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 11:31:35 am »
you just need to find a blank fuse point with ignition live.

I did this on my caddy recently and its been fine and im still just running off the jumper cable after several months. No battery drain.

I'd go take a photo of the caddy fuse box but its down my local garage :(

Offline SuhailVinnyBee

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 09:58:43 am »
Hi there, ive recently installed a rcd510 in my vw golf mk5 2.0 sdi 06 plate, therefore need to fix the battery drain issue. Ive looked through many websites nd forums but cant seem to get me head round it. My fuse box looks very different to the ones uploaded on here plus how would i know which can bus gateway i need for my car?

I am a novice..require help..

Regards,
SuhailVincentBee