Make a donation

Author Topic: KWv3 and whiteline anti-lift kit  (Read 3971 times)

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
KWv3 and whiteline anti-lift kit
« on: April 13, 2009, 08:17:24 pm »
Hi folks, im looking at getting the KWv3 and whiteline anti-lift kit fitted to the car but thought before i do this i should ask for feedback from the guys on here that have either had this done or had other products fitted to there car doing pretty much the same job.
im looking for the car to be my daily drive so dont want my spine breaking, are the KWv3 solid?
also what has the whiteline anti-lift kit changed for you?
im driving a 2006 GTI with DSG and stage 1 revo

thanks in advance for your feedback

Iain
2006 MKV GTI, DSG, Stg2 Revo map, VWR front splitter, KWv3's, Eibach rollbars, Walk kit, Carbonio induction kit, Full Milltek exhaust system, Forge FMIC

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: KWv3 and whiteline anti-lift kit
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 08:32:19 pm »
If you look in the product review section there is a couple of great reviews on these products.  :drinking:
I have the anti lift kit and for the money it is a great mod. I also have KW coilovers but the V2 version, and my ride quality is very similar to stock i was amazed how comfortable they are for everyday use. I think it depends how low you go with them, if you wind them right down then it will be quite a harsh ride.  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 08:49:52 pm »

It made economic sense to fit my WALK in the same workshop session as my VWR-KW-V3's, so I am unable to tell exactly what the WALK contributed. However, others (see Reviews as TC suggests) have posted about their experiences.

Linky : - Whiteline Anti Lift Kit Review

Linky : - VWRacing-KW-V3 Suspension Review

My VWR-KW-V3's are not quite the same as the usual V3's - They have a longer spring and with a different rating. Mine are nothing like a stock ride and are very hard but never harsh and you only feel that hardness when travelling slowly (under 30-ish). As always, it's a trade-off between handling and comfort and it's a personal preference.

I would suggest you also consider upgrading your Anti Roll Bars to compliment the suspension mods you're considering. I best not mention the Quaife :evilgrin:

HTH :smiley:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 08:52:59 pm »
Top Cat Hi

had a wee look at the review for these products but was looking to see what everyone thought of them as it mite be great to somone but not so good to another. also i was told the KWv3's were the best setup for DSG equipped cars, is this true?

thanks for your input mate

Iain
2006 MKV GTI, DSG, Stg2 Revo map, VWR front splitter, KWv3's, Eibach rollbars, Walk kit, Carbonio induction kit, Full Milltek exhaust system, Forge FMIC

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 08:57:57 pm »
RedRobin, thanks for the info. What rollbars are the best for the mkv? i have heard about creaking noises coming from the etc! on my mk4 gti i fitted eibach rollbars and coilovers along with polly bushes and really loved the way it felt on the road wheather i was pushing on in a B road or cruising on the Mway. if i could get the same in the mkv i would be one happy guy.

Iain :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:10:00 pm »
Top Cat Hi

had a wee look at the review for these products but was looking to see what everyone thought of them as it mite be great to somone but not so good to another. also i was told the KWv3's were the best setup for DSG equipped cars, is this true?

thanks for your input mate

Iain

The anti-lift kit is a no brainer, if fitted correctly and realignment done then its just plug and play you should not get any excessive tyre wear and the extra grip is amazing at first, the car feels like it is getting sucked down when in a straight line, and you really can feel it when exiting a fast or slow bend like a roundabout.  :smiley:
With the coilovers, The V2 version has adjustment on the  rebound only, The tuner that fitted mine set them to middle comfort and said see how they go.
I will probably get shot down now, but in my opinion, unless you do regular track days then i cant see why you would need adjustment other than ride height. I do plenty of spirited driving  :evilgrin: and i have never even considered adjustment. the ride is great and it feels like its on rails on long sweeping bends.
All this corner weighting and set up talk in my opinion is for the track, and if the spring and shock rates are the same on V1 then i would in hindsight have plumped for these.  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 11:18:22 pm »

I will probably get shot down now, but in my opinion, unless you do regular track days then i cant see why you would need adjustment other than ride height. I do plenty of spirited driving  :evilgrin: and i have never even considered adjustment. the ride is great and it feels like its on rails on long sweeping bends.

All this corner weighting and set up talk in my opinion is for the track, and if the spring and shock rates are the same on V1 then i would in hindsight have plumped for these.  :smiley:

....Agreed that V3's and, even better, KW Clubsport, are best for the track, but the car doesn't know whether it's on a road or a track when on a 'spirited' drive. And so the ever-changing dynamic forces which the suspension is subjected to still need to be dealt with.

The great advantage of more adjustability is that it enables a more finely tuned setup (if the person doing it knows what they are doing!). Same with corner-weighting - It's not essential but it all helps fine tuning.

The bottom line is that the stock Mk5 chassis and handling is very good indeed and how far you decide to go with aftermarket suspension is up to the individual, and, as always, what they can or want to also afford.

So, I'm not going to sit here and try and claim that one is 'better' than the other suspension system but only that one suits one driver more than another. I like my car to be extremely taut and tactile, hence my particular mods. For me it feels safer but it doesn't guarantee my safety!

:happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 11:23:56 pm »

RedRobin, thanks for the info. What rollbars are the best for the mkv? i have heard about creaking noises coming from the etc! on my mk4 gti i fitted eibach rollbars and coilovers along with polly bushes and really loved the way it felt on the road wheather i was pushing on in a B road or cruising on the Mway. if i could get the same in the mkv i would be one happy guy.

Iain :happy2:

....I've had Eibach ARB's on mine for over 50k miles and have experienced squeaking noises from bushes needing greasing. HR's are supposed to be good and I'm sure there are others too but I don't know enough about them. I'm not sure about Neuspeed because some of their products have been shown to be quite unnecessary.

Robin

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 07:29:47 am »
Top Cat and RedRobin, some worth while points there, thanks for your thoughts. it would interest me to find out why the tuner i have spoke to suggested the KWv3's "since the car is equipped with with DSG"! as you guys have noted, the v2's are good enough if your not really going out to be doing track days 24/7. i do remember someone talking about back end bounce?
maybe its something to do with that.

anyway, thanks again for your wisdom and thoughts

Iain

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 09:30:43 am »

it would interest me to find out why the tuner i have spoke to suggested the KWv3's "since the car is equipped with with DSG"!

....Which tuner is saying this? It sounds suspiciously as if he's got stock of KW-V3's he wants to sell. DSG has absolutely no influence on the choice of suspension.

as you guys have noted, the v2's are good enough if your not really going out to be doing track days 24/7.

i do remember someone talking about back end bounce?
maybe its something to do with that.

....V2's, V1's, V3's, KoniFSD's, etc, are all good enough for either road or track or both. As I've said, it's just a matter of which suits your preferred personal balance of handling and comfort. Oh, and I'm forgetting that some people do it just for looks, so I should add cosmetics. I disagree that not doing track days 24/7 means that V3's are a waste - Some of the roads I drive on (whenever I can) are just as testing as a track and far more interesting. In fact, the suspension is sometimes given more of a workout because the road surface is not as smooth as a track.

You've got to be really pushing to get "back end bounce" and the stock GTI has a degree (3 degrees IIRC) of rear end camber adjustment. << EDIT:- I've just realised you probably mean continual vertical back end bounce from having suspension wrongly set up. I thought you meant horizontal bounce or skip.

What will make a difference to lap times on track is having the ability to set up more camber and that adjustability can be added with top mounts. The trade-off then is uneven tyre wear if also used for extensive motorway driving.

This is why I went to VWR - They fitted me a Fast Road suspension which is practical and perfectly set up. I'm not capable of setting up my own suspension to the optimum.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:52:01 am by RedRobin »

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 09:34:28 am »
I got both rear wheels in the air yesterday LOL

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 09:52:58 am »
the tuner i spoke to was star performance in fife, scotland. i went there to get the mk4 done and it was great so thought i would go back.
does the extra weight involved with the DSG change what you can fit?
im starting to think along the same lines as yourself RedRobin. has he got v3's in stock that he wants to get rid off!
always took the guy to be pretty straight with people.
the suspension for me has got to be doing the job. like yourself RedRobin im driving on twisty stuff as much as i can and living where i do in scotland there is plenty to choose from. im defo not after the slammed look. infact if it stays at the same height im happy with that. :happy2:

Iain

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 10:04:18 am »

the tuner i spoke to was star performance in fife, scotland. i went there to get the mk4 done and it was great so thought i would go back.

does the extra weight involved with the DSG change what you can fit?

im starting to think along the same lines as yourself RedRobin. has he got v3's in stock that he wants to get rid off!

....The DSG weight makes no difference whatsoever in your choice of suspension. Star Performance aren't doing themselves any favours by telling you cr@p like that. They'll be telling you that 5-door GTI's need bigger brakes next!

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 11:19:16 am »
As has been said above the V3 are only good if they have been setup correct as when mine were put they were all over the place and had not been setup at all as it was just not handling correct and after a setup from vwr the car is fantastic in the corners but i do feel every thing in the road and mine are not as stiff as they can go at all  :grin: but the car just feels planted in the corners and even the wife has said how much better the car is after the setup by VWR. If u want my advice you can spend ££££ on suspension but if its not been setup for the car and with u in it then what is the point  :confused: of spending all that ££££  :smiley:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:27:09 pm by MAT ED30 »

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 07:23:35 am »
Good morning guys. I have thought long and hard about what to do with regards the suspension and have decided to go with the KWv3's and whiteline kit. If i put on the v1 or v2 i no i would always want the v3 so time to bite the bullet. will be on around the start of may me thinks.
thanks again for all your input and thoughts. will let you no how im getting on with them.

cheers

Iain