Make a donation

Author Topic: Eibach Sportline Springs or FK Highsport Coilovers  (Read 2150 times)

Offline darrens

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Eibach Sportline Springs or FK Highsport Coilovers
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:29:49 am »
I'm after a little bit of advice (again)...

After saving up a few more pennies I was about to purchase a set of new Eibach Sportline springs (£200 fitted) when I was offered a second hand (4000 miles) of FK Highsport Coilovers (£400 fitted) as a guy is putting his GTI back to standard to sell.

I am happy with the handling on my ED30 as it is only used for motorway driving and occasionally a B road spirited drive and the main reason for changing is just for looks. 

Is there any major advantage for spending double the money on the coilovers (apart from the fact they are adjustable)?

I am concerned that the 40mm drop the Eibach's give is too much and that I am going to have problems with speedhumps or some rubbing.  Has anyone had any issues?

Has anyone any opinions on the FK Coilovers?

All advice appreciated....

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Eibach Sportline Springs or FK Highsport Coilovers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 10:08:17 am »
Thats a good price for the coilovers fitted :happy2:. I have the sportlines on my ed30 but will be going for coilovers as soon as i get a few other mods out the way.
If you dont go for the coilovers, tell your mate i'll have them at that price :signLOL:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:43:49 am by luca »

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline matsu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 10:40:31 am »
ditto that about price-please tell me youre local to me and i can get a peice of that lol :drinking:

and is 40-50mm a real problem with lowering a standard car-esp in my town with loads of fricking speedbumps?

also-sorry to jack thread slightly- i i have only got 17" alloys for the time i can sve up or better will this look halfhearted?. am also gonna add 10mm spacers on to widen the stance.-sorry darren back to your thread :driver:
 matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline darrens

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 10:47:14 am »
Sorry guys I'm across the pond so doubtful I'm local!

He is just looking for a quick sale as he is putting the car back to standard although they only are about £500 brand new anyway for the FK's. 

So what advantages does the coilovers give me to the Eibach's?

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:49:06 am »
I dont have any experience with the fk coilovers but the car will handle better with the coilovers than the springs. Jonnyc had these on his ed30, drop him a pm :happy2:

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 03:30:23 pm »
I have the highsports silverlines on my Gttdi went from standard to coilovers so couldn't give you advice has to the difference.
 The collies should last you longer than springs and standard dampers and you can service the coillies has for performance thats upto you if your looking for a track weapon then get the coillies corner weight setup,  taking each corner by its weight and setting the coilover by this, you may not get the heights bang on this way but it will handle better OR the highsports are one of the best for getting down low on the mkv golf if you want LOW then get the highsports.

Darren

Offline darrens

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 05:27:30 pm »
I don't really want to go very low due to practicality reasons and its just not a look that I'm after.  I basically want the arch sitting level (or very slightly above) the top of the tyre which is why I'm not sure if the coilies are necessary or worth the extra money although if the springs wear out the shocks quicker then it might just be worth buying the coilovers now.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 08:25:50 pm »
Unless your going to go for some thing like the Koni FSD's which suite the eibachs nicely but will be more expensive than the coilovers then i'd be inclined to go the coilover route.

Darren