Make a donation

Author Topic: Comparison between GTI/S3/Cupra/TT mk2 front suspension parts  (Read 13170 times)

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Re: Comparison between GTI/S3/Cupra/TT mk2 front suspension parts
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 07:52:04 pm »
Enough for me to go out and buy an arch roller!

I would say another 20mm top amd bottom either side over just having the TT lower arms.

Thanks Alex.
20mm is a lot! I doubt a arch roller will solve the problem, but best of luck!

I've also ordered some adjustable top mounts to add some more camber and hopefully tuck the wheel in more.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 03:15:54 pm »
on the info from Alex i took some shots of GTI steel hub and TT mk 2 Hub, showing app. 15mm difference in the track width, and if you then add the 7-10mm of the TT mk 2 lower control arms you should get in trouble fender wise  :surprised:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 01:55:25 pm »
Well i have now had both the TT Mk 2 lower control arms/S3Cupra Hub combo and TT Mk2 lower control arms/TT Mk 2 Hubs combo fitted to my car and here are my thoughts on both.

Combo 1: The TT Mk 2 lower control arms with adjustable camber at the ball joint combined with the S3-Cupra hubs gives a bit more than -2 degrees negative camber at the bottom of the strut along with lower weight which combined with the hubs lower weight is a plus.
Things to consider is the lower ball joint has to sit differently that designed for (Which for me has had no negative effects or troubles whatsoever) Also by using this hub you are reducing the chioces in BBK kits as the hub is 16mm wider where the bolts for the caliper carrier sit in the hub.

Combo 2: The TT Mk2 lower control arms combined with the TT Mk 2 hubs gives about the same weightreduction as combo #1, the negative camber achievable is lower than with combo #1 app. -1,8. With the amount of camber the track width is extended by app. 22mm in each side making the rim/tyre options limited unless you have the option of fitting adjustable upper strut mounts. You will also gain better steering geometry as the lower ball joints sits lower along with the steering point reducing the risk of bump steer (I assume  :wink: )
Things to consider is that the lower ball joint sits as intended and you will now have the same amount of BBK options as the steel GTI hubs allows. to get the TT Mk 2 hubs fitted you need to either cut 5mm off you steering rack in each side or ideally get a TT Mk2 steering rack, along with TT Mk2 steering rods and bearings. Also you will ideally need some TT Mk2 drive shaft as they are 15mm longer than the ones your car has.
All in all i would say you really need to consider the cost in choosing the TT Mk 2 hubs as the expenses is great compared to the gain in steering (feel?)

Just my thoughts, me personally have enjoyed the quest and feel that the gain is there, but should i think twice i would not chose combo 2 as the expences is high and it's sort of a road with a point of no return.
I hope you can use my opinions in your quest after mods to do  :happy2:

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 03:25:49 pm »
Thank you very much, Jake !!

:happy2: :happy2: :happy2:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 05:38:31 pm »
Im thinking of going combo 1.

I have the S3 Brakes and some BBS pescaras that are 8J.

Do you think they will still fit under the arches ok?

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 08:14:28 pm »
There are three similar looking wheels all made by BBS:

Pescaras are 7.5Jx18 ET51
BBS CH are 8.0Jx18 ET50
BBS VZ033 are 8.0Jx18 ET44

With both Pescaras and CH you will have sufficient space to fit TT arms.
With VW VZ033 you surely won't.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 08:23:28 pm »

ET45 and TT arms on the Cupra is givinge headaches.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 08:58:41 pm »

ET45 and TT arms on the Cupra is givinge headaches.

It's not the ET 45 and TT arms that gives the headache Mike, it' worked fine on my car, even with 8,5x19" ET 48, so the Cupra isn't made for the alloy hub fenderwise, only the steel hubs that are 3 mm narrower. It's the wrong car Mike  :P

Offline DeTripleD

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2020, 11:39:14 pm »
Well i have now had both the TT Mk 2 lower control arms/S3Cupra Hub combo and TT Mk2 lower control arms/TT Mk 2 Hubs combo fitted to my car and here are my thoughts on both.

Combo 1: The TT Mk 2 lower control arms with adjustable camber at the ball joint combined with the S3-Cupra hubs gives a bit more than -2 degrees negative camber at the bottom of the strut along with lower weight which combined with the hubs lower weight is a plus.
Things to consider is the lower ball joint has to sit differently that designed for (Which for me has had no negative effects or troubles whatsoever) Also by using this hub you are reducing the chioces in BBK kits as the hub is 16mm wider where the bolts for the caliper carrier sit in the hub.

Combo 2: The TT Mk2 lower control arms combined with the TT Mk 2 hubs gives about the same weightreduction as combo #1, the negative camber achievable is lower than with combo #1 app. -1,8. With the amount of camber the track width is extended by app. 22mm in each side making the rim/tyre options limited unless you have the option of fitting adjustable upper strut mounts. You will also gain better steering geometry as the lower ball joints sits lower along with the steering point reducing the risk of bump steer (I assume  :wink: )
Things to consider is that the lower ball joint sits as intended and you will now have the same amount of BBK options as the steel GTI hubs allows. to get the TT Mk 2 hubs fitted you need to either cut 5mm off you steering rack in each side or ideally get a TT Mk2 steering rack, along with TT Mk2 steering rods and bearings. Also you will ideally need some TT Mk2 drive shaft as they are 15mm longer than the ones your car has.
All in all i would say you really need to consider the cost in choosing the TT Mk 2 hubs as the expenses is great compared to the gain in steering (feel?)

Just my thoughts, me personally have enjoyed the quest and feel that the gain is there, but should i think twice i would not chose combo 2 as the expences is high and it's sort of a road with a point of no return.
I hope you can use my opinions in your quest after mods to do  :happy2:

Sorry for resurrecting the thread guys. I’m fitting TT Alloy Arms and S3 Alloy Hubs to my A3, would the 6 pot 18z’ fit with this setup, or did I just mess up badly with my purchases lol