Make a donation

Author Topic: TSi Air intake on a TFSi  (Read 6310 times)

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
TSi Air intake on a TFSi
« on: February 01, 2012, 01:01:39 pm »
I have been considering my options with air intakes for my 2.0 TFSi.  I have switched back to the engine cover from an intake kit as I didnt want the intake noise or the diverter valve noise everytime I lifted off the throttle.  I have been contemplating about the compatibility of fitting the OE intake from a TSI as I want to keep the engine looking OE.  Would it be pssible to retro fit the TSi intake onto the TFSi engine?  Looking at it, it should fit and all I would need is a harness to extend the loom to the new MAF location.  I know the OE TSi intake pipe fits onto an IHI turbo and not a K03 so I am not sure about the difference in the size of the turbo intake port etc.  Any suggestions, experience or ideas on this would be appreciated.

Cheers Matt
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Bogwoppit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
Re: TSi Air intake on a TFSi
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 06:43:11 pm »
Sounds like a good project to me, I will be watching this one.  :popcornsoda:

Off the top of my head the size of the turbo inlet on the K03S as fitted to the BWA engine code is approx 56mm O.D.  I can check for you tomorrow as I have a Neuspeed P-Flo in the garage I'm about to try and sell.

Edited size from 63mm to 56mm.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:24:29 pm by Bogwoppit »

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 07:28:20 pm »
I know the vf engineering intake fir the tsi uses a 2.5inch silicone hose adapter to fit onto the turbo and 63mm is about 2.48inches so very similar. I would expect the parts to fit without any issue. All i would need is to try and borrow someones oe tsi airbox who has fitted an aftermarket intake to see if it would fit. Then see about making a harness to extend the maf sensor.

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:12:39 pm »
Hi Matt - interesting proposition, but forgive me as I am ignorant of the TSI intake; what are the benefits of the TSI as opposed to TFSI intake.?

What is the TSI engine - is that the twin charged 1400?

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:25:55 pm »
I am struggling to see why you would want to do this?

Offline Bogwoppit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:38:43 pm »
Here is a pic of the intake on the earlier engine:

and the later engine TSI or FSI:

The intake on the later engine looks similar to most of the aftermarket intakes available on the earlier engine.

Looks like it could be a lot of work.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 08:40:33 pm by Bogwoppit »

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 08:46:58 pm »
I see, interesting. Basically it has a separate airbox,...like we all had on older generation dubs!

Could poss use an aftermarket intake with an oe airbox off something suitable.

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 08:59:14 pm »
The main reason is to get more air into the engine for a stage 3 map whilst still looking oem. I dont want all the noise associated with open cone intakes. If it will fit i could use a drop in panel air filter, help the engine breathe and not have induction noise. But I want to retain an oem look to it all.

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 07:16:12 am »
MAtt - very interesting this! :happy2:

Not cheap thought, priced up on ETKA and looking around £330 plus VAT, not sure if my prices are bang up to date either.

Biggest issue is that you have to buy the whole MAF - sensor and housing, you cant just buy the housing on its own, and they're £130. You could save a chunk if you can adapt something here.

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 07:19:23 am »
ETKA states the O ring for the MAF housing to be 79mm, so its probably a 3" type housing like we had on the KO4 engined 1.8t 20 valves - 225tt/S3 etc, and the picture shows what looks like a MAF housing from aforementioned 1.8Ts, so you may be able to find something on ebay off a 20v and make your sensor fit somehow?

Offline Bogwoppit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 08:54:41 am »
I have just checked the size using a plug gauge of the silicone straight reducer that came with my Neuspeed intake. The ID of the end that fits over the turbo inlet is 59mm, not 56 as roughly measured above.

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 04:52:41 pm »
Been doing more digging!

The mk5 tdi airboxes are the same - aslong as its not a 1600 one, then they all have the 3" MAF outlet. One one the bay at the moment £50 including MAF.

Theres also a Scirocco GT TDI  one on there which is also suitable.

Finally I found a mk6 1.6l airbox on there too - but this is when I looked into it on ETKA and found that the box off smaller engined cars have a smaller outlet for the MAF.

So atleast that broadens the scope of finding used parts at reasonable costs. :party: :happy2: