Make a donation

Author Topic: Gti with 95k FDSH ok?  (Read 2653 times)

Offline Rustybear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 2
Gti with 95k FDSH ok?
« on: January 21, 2012, 09:56:38 am »
Hi all,

Very excited about getting a mk5 gti having had the 1.8t mk4. I have found one locally for sale by the head mechanic at local vw dealer that has 95k on the clocks, he is the second owner.

I have seen the service stamps all dealer every 20k and belt changed etc. Took it out drive well, pulled well etc took oil cap off and white sludge in cap!!! The car hadn't been started for a couple of weeks so could this sludge be because if the or signs of a problem maybe? The dipstick oil was clear when checking.

Car is really straight and documented etc just a bit worried about the 95k on a 2006 plate and the white sludge.

Any info/advice would be great as looking to make a decision soon.

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 10
  • Golf GT 140
Re: Gti with 95k FDSH ok?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:03:28 am »
Dosen't white sludge indicate a head gasket or cyclinder head problem?

Offline brady88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:34:57 am »
Dosen't white sludge indicate a head gasket or cyclinder head problem?

Usually does yep... water leaking into the engine and mixing with the oil causing "mayonnaise".
But if the coolant level isn't dropping it wont be that, just make sure it isnt losing any coolant!!

I've heard its just a dirty engine and sometimes a catch-can can help get rid of the "muck"  :happy2:
I use mine just about every day and often find the white sludge... and I've been assured its nothing to worry about  :wink: just clean it off!

Offline Rustybear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 05:13:03 pm »
Thanks for info.

Guy selling it runs the dealer workshop, when spotted he said its cause it hasn't been run since earlier December, then check dip stick which showed clean oil. As said it has fdsh etc.

Is 95k to high and possible probmatic to take on? I do low miles so won't be adding a great deal per year.

do these units go on for a while or experience problems at certain mileage?

Any info welcomed

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 05:59:28 pm »
The white sludge build up is perfectly normal on a MK5 GTI. A catch can, can help with this issue.

Offline brady88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 08:00:26 pm »
I wouldn't be too put off by the millage as long as the service history checks out ok and the price is reasonable  :smiley:

Just take it a good drive for at least half an hour and listen/ feel for anything unusual... being a VW mechanic he's probs tool really good care of it and used OEM parts  :happy2: it's really down to you if you can live with a 95k+ car or it may be worth spending a bit more for less millage  :wink:

Just to show you what's out there, I got mine in October last year... 56plate, 38000 miles, FVWSH for £8900.
But depending on spec (leather, xenons etc) expect to pay more  :driver:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:30:19 pm by brady88 »

Offline Rustybear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 08:06:55 pm »
Ok great for all info. Price is good at 6.5k so as I say have to way up pros and cons suppose. It has the dealer samos/receipts etc, books, keys etc so checks out. Thanks again, anything else I need to look for or know pleas let me know.

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 09:43:23 pm »
It seems that mark V GTI's wear their miles well.  From what I've read.  If the history is complete and the cars well looked after it shouldn't be problem.  In some ways a higher mileage motorway car may have less wear and tear, than say a city car used in stop and start traffic.  If you really want the car take a long test drive and an independent inspection.  If the cars clean the seller shouldn't  mind.

Personally I'd go for a lower mileage example....but thats just me.
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline Rustybear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 10:01:04 pm »
Thanks for that. I will ask for a VW health check as he works their so hopefully would show up anything. Agree with what you say re miles if is been looked after which this one looks like it has. As you say mileage is down to personal preference I suppose.

Offline Rustybear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Gti with 95k FDSH ok? Update!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 08:54:20 pm »
Spoke to the seller who as I have mentioned is the local VW dealer workshop manager. I questioned the white sludge, ignition coil recall and air con. He has said he will do an oil change, carry out VAG multi point check and re gas air con with paper work for all if I buy. Does this sound a reasonable approach? The only thing I can now is the clutch which may need changing in a couple of 1000 miles, but I suppose this is wear and tear.

Offline Weston

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 04:32:58 pm »
Welcome  :happy2: age kills cars not miles. Mines on 90k and you'd never know
GTI going...

diesel junior

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 07:22:42 pm »
Welcome  :happy2: age kills cars not miles. Mines on 90k and you'd never know

Couldnt agree more  :happy2:

Offline Rustybear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 09:24:06 pm »
Great thanks about ready to take the plunge!!!  :smiley: when can get out of work to see the car again!!!!

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 04:35:53 pm »
Great thanks about ready to take the plunge!!!  :smiley: when can get out of work to see the car again!!!!

Did you get the car in the end. Seen a car with 90k with good spec...the price is a stcking point.
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline Rustybear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 08:09:50 pm »
Yes got it!!! Great car.