Make a donation

Author Topic: Inner tail light mod units  (Read 45374 times)

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
Re: Inner tail light mod units
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 11:19:31 pm »
would you consider offering this as a retro-fit kit so owner can modify there own light and you supply the bulbs, wire and connectors?

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 11:32:48 pm »
would you consider offering this as a retro-fit kit so owner can modify there own light and you supply the bulbs, wire and connectors?

Yeah thats a good idea, and with pics and wording it will be easy to follow and saves having to be sending lamps back and forth :happy2:
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 11:33:19 pm »
Put me down for one. I take it the rear lights you supply will be as good as new, mine are all good.

Offline GTsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 11:45:21 pm »
I'm interested  :happy2:

I'm guessing you'll be doing this on the r32 rear lights as well as standard lights?

Look forward to the pics  :smiley:

To start off they will be just standard light lights unless I find a pair of R32 inners to mod, it will be the set up as the standard ones

I'm waiting for my connectors to come in at TPS so the lamps wiring will plug in to the number plate loom in a standard looking way, I've tested the bulbs and with this set up there is no bulb out warning on the dash and the brightness is very good and not brighter than the filament outers

How about if I sent you my r32 inners to mod, would you be happy to do that?

Cheers

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 05:20:09 pm »
I'm interested  :happy2:

I'm guessing you'll be doing this on the r32 rear lights as well as standard lights?

Look forward to the pics  :smiley:

To start off they will be just standard light lights unless I find a pair of R32 inners to mod, it will be the set up as the standard ones

I'm waiting for my connectors to come in at TPS so the lamps wiring will plug in to the number plate loom in a standard looking way, I've tested the bulbs and with this set up there is no bulb out warning on the dash and the brightness is very good and not brighter than the filament outers

How about if I sent you my r32 inners to mod, would you be happy to do that?

Cheers

Yeah id do that not a problem mate
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 05:21:50 pm »
Put me down for one. I take it the rear lights you supply will be as good as new, mine are all good.

the lens ive got at the moment are in very good condition, i wont bother using ones that are ropey tbh

later tonight/tomorrow morning i will start uploading pics for you all to see  :fighting2:

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 05:37:41 pm »
just for clarification...

would this require hot-glueing into the light assembly or would it be a setup whereby the bulbs could be replaced?

MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 06:19:19 pm »
just for clarification...

would this require hot-glueing into the light assembly or would it be a setup whereby the bulbs could be replaced?

The bulb are not glued in they are push fit which would make replacement easy if the need arouse

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Inner tail light mod units NOW WITH PICS
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 11:45:18 pm »
right so ive managed to find some time tonight to start uploading pics so to start

so to start i had 2 LED bulbs and soldered a length of wire on to each terminal

then i took the fog light holder off the back of the light so i could see the back of the ring and marked where i wanted the bulbs

then i drilled the hole to the size i wanted, LEDs dont get hot so the i made sure the hole was spot on so the bulb is tightish in the lamp

next up was to mod the fog holder you can see the 2 parts ive cut out to clear the bulbs

after refitting the fog bulb holder i then cut the wires to form a loom

due to it being so cold outside i decided to use the boys scalextrix powere pack (its 13.5 volts  :happy2:) to power it up its been on for over an hour and the bulbs are stone cold :innocent:

now i cant get a good pic of them lit up here is about the best i can muster

if i wanna be mega picky at the top and bottom its alittle dull, i did think about a dob of black paint on the tip of each LED or even adding another 2 LEDs one top and one bottom to even the light out a little

so what do you think???

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 12:04:15 am »
Looks good, really professional. Hard to see what the finished light will look lit, the flash on the camera probably does it no favours. Are you going to take a picture with them fitted, it would be good to see the comparison with the other light.  Keep up the good work you've really achieved something that is better than oem. :happy2:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 12:17:34 am »
Ive compared the light out put from these and the standard outers and i think they are very similar, im gonna fit them tomorrow (if its a little warmer lol) and then take a pic of them next to the filament outers, will use mrs millers flash camera without the flash, like i said there are a dull spot top and bottom but tbh its not much more than the dull spots on the outers

Thank you for your comments mate :happy2:

will get some more pics up tomorrow

Offline parks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 17
  • Red ED30 No. 1778 Detailing World member
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 12:25:03 am »
Well done that man!
Standard: Rear parking sensors, Parrot Bluetooth
Retro fitted: MFSW buttons, RCD510, Boot pop, Black Monza II, Xenons, Audi jacking points, open fog light grills.

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 06:18:59 am »
personally at £30 id pay that little extra for 4 led's, if the wiring isn't that much more complicated for you, i think that a strong red ring will look more OEM.

Am i right in thinking these will come on as side lights? Have you tested the brightness vs the brake light + Fog?

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 08:28:18 am »
personally at £30 id pay that little extra for 4 led's, if the wiring isn't that much more complicated for you, i think that a strong red ring will look more OEM.

Am i right in thinking these will come on as side lights? Have you tested the brightness vs the brake light + Fog?

I was thinking about 4 leds, top, bottom, left and right, the wiring would be easy, be a case of 2 looms and then joined to one, i havent tried the brightness with the fog on yet, but will do tonight, the main problem is LEDs send out a bright beam from the top, rather than all around, i wanna make sure they glow rather than look like bulbs in there, if you get my meaning, its about -4 here atm so i will wait abit before going out side  :signLOL:

Offline apples12

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 08:42:08 am »
phil, any chance you could try with ordinary W5W bulb holders instead of direct soldering?

that way would allow people to swap and change bulbs easily...
MK6 GT TDI  - CW - LUX pack
GONE
MkV Golf 1.9TDI Sport in DBP, 160,000 miles and climbing!

Retrofits by me:GT front end,OEM bixenons with auto-levelling/washers, Valeo LED Rears, MFSW + Highline SWCM, Cruise Control, 30byte Highline CECM, Highline clocks, Rain/Light Sensor, Auto-dimming Rear view Mirror, RNS-510 LED (Ver H; SW: 4020), Fiscon Basic Bluetooth, MDI + Aux, Armrest, Reverse Camera LOW, TPMS..what next...