Make a donation

Author Topic: Racoooooon  (Read 16536 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Racoooooon
« on: April 29, 2009, 07:37:59 pm »
Spent a few hours at their Leeds franchise today, after seeing that the recaro's can be succesfully wrapped i had to go and investigate.

my thoughts on carbon on a GTI are mixed. Unless you are like Jonny C  and want carbon for the weight saving then i dont feel right about seeing it on a GTI. Saying that every time i see it i think wow that is beautiful. I think carbon has been around long enough now to have been stolen by the stylees amongst us , and it is acceptable to have it on the car because its cool and look's the shizzle  8)
So i have arrived at the decision that if the carbon vinyl wrap can  look just as beautiful  then whats the difference between having this and having a carbon replacement part. as mentioned earlier, the carbon  in our instance are not on the car for weight saving, and a lot of the carbon is a direct cover adding to the weight.  :rolleye:

Ok so i went to Racoon today to get my R 32 zorst insert wrapped in this new type they have which doesn't get marred when heated and is less brittle so reacts better to stone chips.

Well they tried really hard but the insert was not having any of it, because of the textured finish the adhesive wouldn't stick properly  :sad:
Gave up after a few attempt's but i think it would still be possible if the piece was sanded flat and some primer applied.
So we decided to do the front mask and badge to see how it looked, and so he could get a good idea on how much to charge us lot as they had not done this for any one yet. and i think it will be the most popular part to get wrapped by us lot.  :smiley:

Turned out really well so hopefully tomorrow he will have a forum discounted price for all the parts that we might want wrapping like the interior door inserts, mirror covers roof spoiler.
I think i can say without getting shot by him that the prices will be a whole lot cheaper than the darn sarf prices, especially if we take the parts off first and then just get them wrapped and re- fit ourselves. and may be even cheaper if you guy's fancy a group buy of more than ten.
Oh and i forgot to add, their is a offer of one car getting a bonnet wrapped in this material for cost price, so any one wanting this done and lives in the North then give me a PM and i can give you details should cost somewhere between 20 an d 40 squid for a whole bonnet wrap.  :wink:

Couple more photo's of the mask.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Racoooooon
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:49:00 pm »
The grille looks stunning, I'd love mine done like that - did it mask the old holes well?? I presume the vinyl is pretty thick??

Hmm Bonnnet, should I, for 'Ring trip funsies to go with the side decals?? If someone wants to take the offer for a more permanent look though, I won't cry. Offer up your bids everyone!!
Sideways yo!

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:56:21 pm »
that looks brilliant

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline billyboy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
  • Billy lar
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:08:28 pm »
List List List, Me me me for grill'n'badge. I'll think about plate location later.
good job TC
1. billyboy

Offline vwrascal

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:27:34 pm »
Nice TC, looks like real carbon   :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 08:30:59 pm »
The grille looks stunning, I'd love mine done like that - did it mask the old holes well?? I presume the vinyl is pretty thick??

Hmm Bonnnet, should I, for 'Ring trip funsies to go with the side decals?? If someone wants to take the offer for a more permanent look though, I won't cry. Offer up your bids everyone!!

You can see where the holes are/where but if you run on the ring without a plate then it will be more aerodynamic  :laugh:
Lets see how much he wants to do the mask i think it will be a good price.  :wink:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 09:22:38 pm »
looks amazing TC.
reckon they can do my mirrors and my front spoiler in satin chrome ?  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 09:27:54 pm »
looks amazing TC.
reckon they can do my mirrors and my front spoiler in satin chrome ?  :happy2:

which bit of your front spoiler, do you mean the splitter at the bottom.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 09:35:33 pm »
Any idea how much it would cost to wrap my spare badge if I posted it to them. That would solve my stone chipping black badge ?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 09:40:03 pm »
Any idea how much it would cost to wrap my spare badge if I posted it to them. That would solve my stone chipping black badge ?

About £ 20 but i dont know for sure yet he should give us prices tomorrow.  :smiley:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 09:44:00 pm »
I call it the Nathan area  :P , so yes the splitter
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 09:47:56 pm »

About £ 20 but i dont know for sure yet he should give us prices tomorrow.  :smiley:

Cool, keep us posted, mine will be in the post if it is:) how good is finish, looks great in the pic, does it look believable in the flesh so to speak?

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 09:50:18 pm »

Cool, keep us posted, mine will be in the post if it is:) how good is finish, looks great in the pic, does it look believable in the flesh so to speak?

Its hard to say really the mask looks better than the badge  :smiley:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 09:52:29 pm »
I call it the Nathan area  :P , so yes the splitter

On yours if i remember its painted so it would work fine i think, and the mirrors are going to be hard he thinks, possibly in two pieces.  :happy2:

Offline jt1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 09:52:56 pm »
Ooh nice one TC, looks like badges n mask for me. :happy2:

Shame he could'nt do your zorst section, that would of looked the nuts.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:55:04 pm by jt1 »