Make a donation

Author Topic: Performance of Jetta TFSi engine and DSG box  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Performance of Jetta TFSi engine and DSG box
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:18:02 pm »
Hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. I am generally happy with my Jetta excepting for 2 things, the performance and the lack of smoothness with the DSG.

I just don't think this car feels like it has 200bhp. It's ok, just not as quick as I expected. Maybe I was expecting too much??? So just wondering if anything could be wrong with the engine at all? I do run on premium unleaded all the time. As for the DSG, sometimes it can be downright clunky. The changes can be very jerky at times, not smooth at all as I have experienced with other DSG boxes in the past, especially on downshifts.

I will be logging data tomorrow morning with VCDS on my drive up to the Midlands. Anybody know which options I should be logging, I'm thinking groups 002, 106 & 115. Is this correct? Anybody who can look at the logs and let me know what to look for when reviewing them?

Any ideas or recommendations of areas to look at would be appreciated.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Performance of Jetta TFSi engine and DSG box
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 06:35:51 pm »
Anybody who can help me with this or point me in the right direction? I did the logging this morning, almost 2 hours worth.

What do I need to look for on the logging of the above?

On a side note, fuel economy has been getting progressively worse over the past month or so on the same route doing the same speeds, etc. From a best of 39.5mpg previously, now today down to 33.2mpg on the MFI. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:11:42 am »
If you mpg has been getting worse it could be you PCV valve has failed.  For the cost of a new one its worth fitting the lastest revision for peace of mind.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 05:55:18 pm »
Thanks so much for providing some direction.

Would this show up on VCDS at all? Would it have failed on a 12000 mile car? Also, would this affect the performance at all?

Offline Hilla

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 06:39:29 pm »
Not sure your DSG should be clunky; I've had a few issues with mine not being as smooth as I'd like, took it to the dealers and they have confirmed the Mechatronics Unit has gone and will be replacing it under warranty.

I'm sure it shouldn't be clunky on a 12k car - If I were you I'd get down your local dealer and take a mechanic
out to see what their opinion is.

Hilla

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 07:43:41 pm »
Thanks mate, will do. It's due in at VW on Thursday for the cambelt and water pump, they will also be giving it a supposedly thorough check over too. I will ask them to check it then.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 12:13:38 am »
The cars performance would drop off and you may get a P0299 fault code. The dsg may need to be reset and that can  cure  clunky gear changes. If its in at the dealers ask them to do it for you.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 02:25:37 am »
personally i would replace the DV to the latest revision from VW

then reset your DSG following the walk through on here