All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Front badge - split and carbon wrapped.

<< < (4/8) > >>

tony_danza:
Cheers,

Nah - the pressed plates just try pulling straight all the time on the sticky fixings, so look a bit off. I'll sort it when I can lay my hands on some really strong stuff.

true-blue:
Simple, but very effective, I like that a lot  :happy2:

Phil Mcavity:
Tony, after seeing and not realising that the chrome badge seperates, i removed my 1st effort of wrap, and redone it the same way as you, and it looks FAR better.  :drinking:

vwrascal:
looks great that   :happy2:

tony_danza:

--- Quote from: Phil Mcavity on May 07, 2009, 10:08:45 pm ---Tony, after seeing and not realising that the chrome badge seperates, i removed my 1st effort of wrap, and redone it the same way as you, and it looks FAR better.  :drinking:


--- End quote ---
:smiley: Not sure I'd have been happy myself doing it any other way.

It's a doddle once you've got past the screwing up your face "Ooooo" stage of forcing the first tab, begging it not to snap the badge!! I reckon I could turn one around inside an hour from grille off to back on now.

Massive thanks to RedRobin for sending me an offcut to play with  :happy2:

I've had a look on ebay and there's some squares of it on there for a couple of quid, you want something about 200mmx200mm, as you'll need some excess to help you manipulate the material.

Here's how I did it, no doubt someone else can add to it and refine.


* Remove the vinyl backing and lay down sticky side up.
* Lay the badge gently onto the vinyl and let the centre catch.
* Pick it up with the badge and working from the centre, smooth the vinyl onto the 'VW'.
* Once the face is done, you need to manipulate the edging.
* Using a pulling and stretching motion with the excess, work around the badge doing a little at a time. Stretch the material and work it with your thumb to ensure it doesn't crease.
* Wrap this around the back of the badge and then trim off any excess - you're then at the stage to cut.
* Using a very sharp craft knife, cut the line that runs at the bottom of the V and the top/middle of the W. Go straight down the middle, as you'll need this small amount to wrap back onto itself to cover the chrome.
* With the rest of the cutouts, do an X staying about 1mm away from the corners. Pull the triangles back around the sections and smooth into the corners with the back of your knife to get a good edge/seal all round. You may need to carefully trim the centre cut you made between the V&W to ensure any overlap doesn't look scruffy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version