All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Reliability of our MKV's

(1/9) > >>

Norbreck21a:
I was sat here this morning, browsing through my usual parade of VW forum sites, and it struck me that all you ever tend to see is people with problems (I guess that's what the foums are for). They go on about their car still being in warranty and going in again for it's 9th fault etc. etc.

I occured to me, that by their very nature, forums aren't usually full of people posting " my car is totally fault free after 3 years" etc. I was wondering what is the "real" situation regarding the reliability of our MKV's ? Now I know mine is a soot chucker, and therefore not a highly tuned road beast, but anyway, during it's 3 years manufacture warranty, it was totally fault free. I had one recall to check the DMF, (which was OK BTW), other than that, just routine servicing. The same story with my wifes 06 Polo Sport. It's just coming to the end of it's warranty and has been bullet proof.

Now I know the GTI's and R32 are from stock highly tuned specialist vehicles, that many members have modified well beyond the original VW specifications, but just wanted to know, has anyone else had problem free motoring. I'm not talking about, the odd squeak or bulb faiures, or any faults that was directly as a result of a performance modification.

It seems the MKV get's a bad rep for build quality on some forums and was just wondering what my buddies on this forum think ?

neg:
Mine is coming up for 4 years old this month, I have owned for the last 2 of them - had a couple of things under warranty - door seals, wiper motor, window motor and air con unit - all in the early days.  (touch wood) its been fine for the past 12months and I cant fault it.  Its aged really well if I'm honest compared to my older cars, when they turned over 3 they started to feel it a little.

Will be sad to see it go really.

VeeDubDan:
Are you selling up Neg? 

WhiteGTI:
I've had no problems whatsoever with my car, owned since October 2007.

JPC:
well....i have got major stone chips on the front of mine, within 5000 miles!

apart from that, my limited time of owning a mk5 has seen completely trouble free motoring.

mk4 was a slightly different story!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version